• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Federal Shorty Ammo

Scooby

.22LR
I noted that Federal has started to market their version of the 1 3/4 " minishells. I have had good luck with the Aguilla brand. In fact, they are all I keep in my Shockwave for home defense.

Has anyone had a chance to try the Federals? The Aguilla shells can be hard to come by and tend to be a little pricey. Plus, while I have no problem with their performance, they seem to shoot "dirty" and make cleaning the gun more of a chore.

What gun are you running the shortshells in? Are you using an adapter.

I like the Federals just fine, but they need the adapter to feed right. I have the OPSol2, and it's a good product. 12+1 is nice in a 590.

I'm running the short shells in a shockwave. I use the OPSOL adapter. To me, it makes a perfect home defense weapon. I'm still using the Aguila shells. I stocked up during the holidays. Now I'm glad I did, given recent events.

To be honest, none of the local gun shops nor the big box stores have had the Federal short shells.

I'm using the Aguila shells in a Shockwave. I use an OPSOL adapter. It makes a fantastic home defense gun.
I stocked up on the Aguila shells during the holidays and, given recent events, I'm glad I did.

To be honest, none of the local gun shops nor the big box stores have had the Federal shells in stock.

I've shot the Federal Shorty (with adapter) in my 590a1 for function test. IMO, they don't shoot any cleaner than the Aguila shells.

I got a box of the Federals and an Opsol spacer when I bought my 500 the other week. It was all the ammo they had left. I haven't had a chance to try them out though. I've been tempted to see how they feed, but cycling live ammo in the house isn't my idea of fun.

I got a box of the Federals and an Opsol spacer when I bought my 500 the other week. It was all the ammo they had left. I haven't had a chance to try them out though. I've been tempted to see how they feed, but cycling live ammo in the house isn't my idea of fun.

Maybe you can save the spent shells and make some dummies out of them--fill them with concrete or something?

Not sure I plan to run them regularly. Just bought them because weird ammo is better than no ammo.

So far, my experience is they're weird in a good way. They're certainly weird-looking, but that's mostly because there's no tall wad hiding inside like in conventional slug/buck loads. There's a little less go-powder, but also slightly fewer pellets, so the end result is pretty good ballistically.

I wouldn't hunt or go to battle with them, but for sub/urban HD, they're fine--and you get 12+1 in a 590.

So far, my experience is they're weird in a good way. They're certainly weird-looking, but that's mostly because there's no tall wad hiding inside like in conventional slug/buck loads. There's a little less go-powder, but also slightly fewer pellets, so the end result is pretty good ballistically.

I wouldn't hunt or go to battle with them, but for sub/urban HD, they're fine--and you get 12+1 in a 590.
As soon as I can confidently spare a few bucks I'm going to buy some dummy rounds to drill with. I want to modify some of those to shorties just to see how they cycle. I don't see the point of reloading drills with the shorties... if 13 rounds of 12ga hasn't solved the problem it's a problem I'm not going to solve.

The shorties I got are slugs. I'm betting they'd be more than adequate for HD, but I agree they aren't hunting rounds.

Has anyone fired the shorty shells in the 500 Scorpion? I have a tough time with 12 gauge recoil and was hoping to go with shorty rounds for HD. Thanks

Not in the Scorpion, but why would it be any different than any other 500-series? I started loading these for urban HD because of the increased mag capacity and reduced recoil. My wife couldn't handle regular 12-gauge buck loads, but she actually likes shooting these. YMMV, but buy a box and try them.

Not in the Scorpion, but why would it be any different than any other 500-series? I started loading these for urban HD because of the increased mag capacity and reduced recoil. My wife couldn't handle regular 12-gauge buck loads, but she actually likes shooting these. YMMV, but buy a box and try them.
just ordered some, thanks for the reply.

Back