• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Feds going after UPS and FedEx

carbinemike

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
The Obama admin. wants our two largest private carriers to know what they are shipping with the reasoning that they shipped prescription drugs from illegal sources.

“They clearly are attempting to put some responsibility for the legality of the contents of these packages. That’s why for us it goes far beyond even just the online pharmacy situation. This really has a chilling effect. It has the potential to threaten the privacy of all customers that send or receive packages via FedEx because the government is assigning a role on us as law enforcement or taking on their role in a way that is not appropriate,” Fitzgerald said.

I have a new respect for FedEx and UPS is dumped to the bottom of the list with the USPS:
UPS is currently negotiating a settlement with the government, but FedEx is fighting this all the way.
“Settlement is not an option for us when there’s no illegal activity on our part,” Fitzpatrick said.

http://www.wnd.com/2013/03/now-big-brother-targets-your-fedex-ups-packages/

Thanks for the link Mike. It's chilling, the amount of intrusion into the daily lives of common citizens that the Federal government has now decided is okay. Kudos to FedEx for actually taking a stand.....they are correct in their assertion that they cannot be expected to play "police officer" in regards to what is being shipped. Legality is completely the responsibility of the shipper and the person receiving the shipment. What is perfectly legal in one area is illegal in the next.....not the job of FedEx to figure that out.

Wow. I wonder when the sheeple are going to say enough is enough?
This is just so ***************

They are using pharmacies and prescriptions as an example. If this is allowed, the feds will know who is on certain drugs that combat depression, etc. What if they decide to do the same with weapons parts and accessories or ammo? Although it is not currently illegal to ship these items to most places, if the Feds get lists of customers who are receiving these types of shipments they can start a database designed to allow for confiscations.

In the case of prescriptions, they are circumventing the doctor-patient confidentiality clause. But with the advent of computer maintained medical records that may be a moot point.

ripjack13 said:
Wow. I wonder when the sheeple are going to say enough is enough?
This is just so ***************

This is the most frustrating part to me. The gov will always try to take as much as they can but most people seem to be OK with it now.

The Feds created HIPAA now they want to do a run around. "I'm sorry but your regulations will not allow me to reveal that information to you - no, federal law prevents me from disclosing any information about the contents of the package or the name of the sender or recipient - have a good day!"

The Office for Civil Rights enforces the HIPAA Privacy Rule, which protects the privacy of individually identifiable health information; the HIPAA Security Rule, which sets national standards for the security of electronic protected health information; and the confidentiality provisions of the Patient Safety Rule, which protect identifiable information being used to analyze patient safety events and improve patient safety.

It is the law.

ANYONE can report ANY violation. It does not have to be done by the individual or entity that was compromised. UPS or FedEx could turn in one govornment organization ( or its rep) to another federal organization - let 'em sort that out in the courts. HIPAA is strong ground to stand on.

More about filing complaints: http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/co ... index.html

If I ever got wind of any violation I would blow the whitle loud and clear as would any credible Dr., insurer, med supplier etc.

Oh - what a world!!

Seems to be getting to the point of......

Your papers please.....

Never thought I'd see this kind of crap in my lifetime. :cry:

Back