• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

FEED ISSUES

snagglepuss said:
What can I say.
Spent the afternoon at the range yesterday...another 300 rounds through my 715T without one single failure...not one! (total rounds on gun approaching 6000...only the first 200 or so gave me any problems)
My friend who just bought his 3 weeks ago was not so lucky. He had 3 failure to fires in 250 rounds.
I don't know...maybe we're just lucky.
But I think it has more to do with what someone said earlier...Mossberg has been putting these things out by the thousands...and a lot of dealers report that they get 10 or 15 in and within two days they are sold out.
Personally (and I've said it before)...a bunch of the same people keep posting and reposting on this and other forums.
Whilst the vast majority are just out happily shooting the hell out of their guns!
It's an inexpensive 'fake' AR...the vast majority of the owners (mostly happy) aren't the kind to search out forums like this.
Hey i'm very happy for you and your functioning rifle. And your right most people w/ working rifles dont seek out these types of threads. So just to prove your theory correct the number of people on this site alone should tell you that there are just as many unhappy owners as happy!!! Since happy owners dont read, post, or search out forums like this. I mean everyone on here but you must of got a P.O.S. according to your logic anyways. Seriously why do you care so much about us unhappy owners? I am happy for everyone that got a working rifle and wish I had one too. Do you work for Mossberg? Cause after every negative post there you are talkin smack. Look if negative post bother you that much take your own advice and stop searching them out.

BowerR64 said:
Dont forget about your ammo, you cant just say its the guns fault because ammo plays just as big of a role in how the gun functions as the gun.

You feed it junk its going to work like junk. You need to take just as much care in what you put in it.

What is hapening when you have feed issues? Is the round not going fully into the chamber? or is it kicking the nose up?

Have you studied any 3D redurings of how auto loader guns function? You can get an idea of how they function if you study some of the 3D models and then maybe resolve the issue yourself. It will be good for you to figure it out IMO its what make shooting fun. Its a mechanical thing and as you know mechanical things tend to have problems some times.

I agree it SHOULDNT happen on a new item but it does. I think rather then throw a fit about it try and figure out the issue. It could be as simple as little metal burs that could be lightly sanded out, oiled, polished or something bent.

Try different ammo, try only 5 rounds in the mag insted of 10, put some oil on your finger and lightly oil the tops of all the rounds see if it helps.
Brower I've used at least 6 diffrent brands including various CCI rounds without much difference. I'm a mechanic by trade and love to tinker w/ all things mechanical I just dont want to get to deep and void the warranty. Thanks for the advice and I'll try a few more types of ammo.

521mike said:
BowerR64 said:
Dont forget about your ammo, you cant just say its the guns fault because ammo plays just as big of a role in how the gun functions as the gun.

You feed it junk its going to work like junk. You need to take just as much care in what you put in it.

What is hapening when you have feed issues? Is the round not going fully into the chamber? or is it kicking the nose up?

Have you studied any 3D redurings of how auto loader guns function? You can get an idea of how they function if you study some of the 3D models and then maybe resolve the issue yourself. It will be good for you to figure it out IMO its what make shooting fun. Its a mechanical thing and as you know mechanical things tend to have problems some times.

I agree it SHOULDNT happen on a new item but it does. I think rather then throw a fit about it try and figure out the issue. It could be as simple as little metal burs that could be lightly sanded out, oiled, polished or something bent.

Try different ammo, try only 5 rounds in the mag insted of 10, put some oil on your finger and lightly oil the tops of all the rounds see if it helps.
Brower I've used at least 6 diffrent brands including various CCI rounds without much difference. I'm a mechanic by trade and love to tinker w/ all things mechanical I just dont want to get to deep and void the warranty. Thanks for the advice and I'll try a few more types of ammo.

Well i dont have an answer then. Im still not sure fully what the problem is that your having?

The rounds wont push from the mag into the chamber? they wont eject? are they kicking up and jamming the slide?

How many rounds have you put threw it so far? 10? 50? 300?

Bower it will feed 4-5 rounds correctly then pushes the nose of the next round above the barrel and the bolt jams against it and will actually bend that round. It also has random FTE's the cases get caught in the bolt. Sometimes I cant even get 4-5 rounds between jams. I've put about 250 rounds through it and that took way more patience than I usually have. Believe it or not I noticed $2 a box winchester wildcats cycled better than my normal mini mags. Any idea's???

521mike said:
Bower it will feed 4-5 rounds correctly then pushes the nose of the next round above the barrel and the bolt jams against it and will actually bend that round. It also has random FTE's the cases get caught in the bolt. Sometimes I cant even get 4-5 rounds between jams. I've put about 250 rounds through it and that took way more patience than I usually have. Believe it or not I noticed $2 a box winchester wildcats cycled better than my normal mini mags. Any idea's???

2 things to try, i swear this helps me i still do it with all my ammo.

first take 50 rounds put them in a zip lock bag and put 3-5 drops of oil in the bag then need them arouund in the bag till it works into all the ammo i usually do a whole brick 325-500 and i put 10-15 drops on mine.

next when you load the mag say try 10 rounds, tap the mag a few times on the table with the rim side down. WHen i say tap i mean just tap not pound the mag just 3-4 taps on the table. WHat this does is it moves all the rounds to the far back that way they dont hang on the point in the front of the mag.

Try those 2 things with 50 rounds see how it works.

Also if you have time, oil the extractor. On the side of the bolt there is a little little plate pin its the extractor. Spray this out with cleaner put a drop of oil on that near the hole and then use a flat tip screw driver or your finger nail and work it in and out a few times.

Here is picture of the extractor, push on the extractor just left of the spring. Put cleaner or oil along this extractor slot and work it in and out where the screw driver is.
715Textractorslot_zps89e22952.jpg

mossberg715T_zps2bb2853c.jpg

Ran into a guy at the range this morning that also had a 715T. 2 of his mags didn't have that ugly seem on the back of the metal part of the mag. He let me try the 2 seem less mags and I only had (1) FTF & (2) FTE's during the first mag and only (3) FTF's - (0) FTE's during the second!!!!! 6 malfunctions in 50rds is awesome for my rifle!!! Does anybody know where to get the seemless mags from? I've never seen them before today. Range guy said he got his from a gun show in NC. Looked exactly like my OE mags, so I'm pretty sure they weren't after market stuff.

this was my first problem...i was videotaping by myself so i could not get the gun in focus. at this point, it had less than 100 rounds through it. it was also the next day that i called mossberg and had to fight with them to pay to ship it back...yes it is THEIR responsibility to pay for shipping. not mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3x8ewa5jIs

no amount of mag tuning, polishing, cleaning, lubing, changing brands of ammo would have fixed this problem. there is no reason it should have left the factory like that. and after knowing how unhappy of a customer i was, it should have been returned to me in 100% working order, not needing a 2nd trip back. the 2nd trip should have been at their expense also, but it was not.

i will say that a former coworker bought one a few months before me and he had to send it back also. for the same reasons that every one complains about. there is a severe lack of quality control at the plant that these are produced. i'm surprised they are letting this go on.

you can say i got a lemon all you want, but when i spend any money for anything, i expect it to work. if i buy a 5 dollar spin toothbrush, it had better work or it goes back.

Wow, that really sucks. Sorry to see that you got such a bad gun. I'm one of the lucky ones who hasn't had those problems (except for the mag that shipped with it getting stuck at the 10/11 round mark, but that's since been fixed). It's too bad they (Mossberg) won't stand behind their product. I would expect them to replace it if it had to go back a 2nd time.

they don't...that is why i sold it...

they qc is so bad that the original mag that came with the gun was disassembled in the baggie it came in...i had to figure out how it went back together...

Check your ammo length, I was using Blazer ammo, and the rounds were not loading properly. I measured some different bullets for OAL. Switching from the Blazer to a different brand solved my mag feeding issues. Take a look:
CCI Blazer----------------------------.990"--.995"
CCI Standard-------------------------.991"---.993"
Aguils Standard----------------------.970"---.975"
Gamemaster-------------------------.971"---.973"
Federal Bulk HP---------------------..971"---.974"
Remington HP------------------------.961"---.963"

Might be worth a look. :D

avery

Back