• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Feel good Gun Rights post

GunnyGene

Racist old man
BANNED
You can beat City Hall! At least in MS. :D:D

House Bill 314 was passed in the 2014 legislative session, it gives citizens the ability to file civil suits to force local governments to adhere to State gun laws. Local politicians around the state had passed ordinances that prohibited the legal carrying of firearms on city property, these laws were clear violations of state law. Until the passage of HB314 citizens had no legal recourse to challenge these officials.

Once the bill was signed into law, Rick Ward filed 13 complaints with the Attorney General against cities and counties who insisted on posting NO GUN signs on city and county buildings. Ten of the complaints Rick filed resulted in immediate compliance after the Attorney General confirmed they were in violation of the law. Three of the municipalities refused to remove their signs and Rick filed law suits against them. The City of Hattiesburg initially refused to remove their signs but has now settled.

In his recently settled suit against Hattiesburg the city agreed to the following terms,

pay Rick’s attorney fees
remove all posted written notices within its jurisdiction dealing with the prohibition of firearms to comply with Miss. Code. and shall provide Ricks attorney an exact copy of each posted written notice along with its location prior to affixing the notice.

Rick’s attorney was Reed Martz of the firm Freeland/Martz of Oxford. This is a huge win for gun owners, way to go Rick!

http://www.mississippigunnews.com/2...nt-against-city-for-illegal-no-gun-ordinance/

Here's what Rick had to say about it:

Dana, thank you and all the others for your kind comments. House Bill 314 had a few issues that I wish we would have fixed, but it gave us what we needed. We would have had to hire a lawyer and force the boards to comply before but we would have had to foot the bill and the individual members of the board would not have been responsible. The difference now is they board members are held responsible and although we still have to hire an attorney at least the AG has to investigate and confirm our case on the front end. Also, thanks to attorneys like Reed Martz, the filing fees and overnight mail costs are paid in advance by him and he takes the case on a contingency so you the citizen are not out any money up front. If a settlement is offered he asks you and if you agree, it is a done deal after the judge signs off on it. If not, you hold out for more or go to trial and Reed is prepared to do that. He gets his money in the end from the board members and they still have to comply. That’s not to say he has the time or desire to handle all of them but some of them need to be done like this to set an example.

McComb Resident – Is there a reason you aren’t filing the complaint? It is very easy. You just download a half page form on the AG’s site, print it out and write your name, address, phone number, email and the details of what you saw. You don’t even have to provide a copy of the ordinance or picture of the sign if you don’t want to. But you do have to get the form notarized. The AG does the rest. They notify the board of your complaint and then send an investigator out to confirm the allegations. If confirmed they send a letter to board telling them they are violating the law and have 30 days to comply. If they don’t, you hire a lawyer. I would recommend Reed if he has the time because as far as I know, he is the only one with the experience in these cases. He filed 27 complaints for a gun rights group on what I call “opening day of season,” which was July 1st. As far as I know, he is the only one that has filed suits for failing to comply.

We are quickly approaching a time when everything is illegal.

Back