• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

FINALLY FINISHED: Crafting wood furniture for a Mossberg 590 Shockwave

got this bish reassembled. Looks like, in the end, i could have left a bit more length on the front of the fore end, but it doesn't matter. should be solid now, and also i used a set screw under the heat shield so it shouldn't move forward anymore.

Untitled by Marn, on Flickr

I wonder if the aftermarket company on ebay has had this same problem.
Do you see anything y’all have done that would have created a weakened “link”? Is it possible the tolerances of the corncob allows too much stress on wood, while synthetic materials can take the shock?
Perhaps, soak the wood in a solution that strengthens the structure of wood……linseed oil…penetrating epoxy.....?
Of course that would negate staining….I imagine??? Or stain first???
My history of wood work is on a farm with a chain saw, a nail gun, and a “fairly straight” level.
Once again this forum leads the way on discovering the best ways to upgrade the Shockwave.
Good luck guys.
I worried about this too when I was putting mine together. I spent a good 30 min taking off some of the inside material before I put the cap in. It seems to have helped. I have not shot mine since install yet. We shall see...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Hm...I do believe I've seen the one's on ebay. Messaged him as well, but being from Thailand I don't know how I feel about their reliability...
Plus I've heard from some folks that he doesn't modify the sets at all and the foregrip is usually too long so that would require some cutting/sanding/finishing.
On the flip side upon exploring the forums I've seen something I didn't think I'd go for. A synthetic setup. (Mostly a wood furniture fan)
But now a choice...

2009rtv.jpg

Synthetic

Pro's

• Quicker to achieve the results I want
  • Easier than trying to make it myself
  • Side-saddle is plus
  • Adds an aggressive look to her
Con's
  • More expensive
  • Could end up looking "tacticool" instead of functional
  • Bulky
  • Added weight
  • I'll end up wanting to put a laser on it (More money)
===============================================

Wood

Pro's
  • Looks amazing
  • Retains the clean style of the shockwave
  • More lightweight than Synthetic
  • I love wood furniture on firearms
Con's
  • Impossible to find ready-to-go package
  • Requires tools + materials
  • Modification necessary

What to do...what to do....
I mashed them both together. Lol
e000f82419c17616c0294135fd3d6214.jpg

I worried about this too when I was putting mine together. I spent a good 30 min taking off some of the inside material before I put the cap in. It seems to have helped. I have not shot mine since install yet. We shall see...

I really think a big factor, that I hadnt noticed, was the screws protruding too far, and when I tightened down the nut, it was applying pressure onto the screws. To the point at which there were dings/dimples in the nut from the recoil. The split went through one of the screw holes, so, this may have been the main thing that caused it.

In any case, its all supported fully now.

Back