• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

FINALLY FINISHED: Crafting wood furniture for a Mossberg 590 Shockwave

Real nice work, Doc, but are you REALLY finished??

Some info for members. I had used blue loctite on the inside of the heat shield band to held hold the heat shield in place. Yesterday, I removed the heat shield and found that the blue loctite I used only had a spotty application. I then tried Permatex blue GEL thread locker. The gel is nice and thick. The gel was pushed out from under the heat shield on all sides of the front band when I tightened the mounting screws. I know I now have a good, consistent coating of the blue thread locker under the heat shield that will better help hold the heat shield in place. So, try the Permatex blue gel thread locker if you have an application that needs a good coat of the thread locker.

I want to make a stubby grip for my 500 ATP

7739806bf23f174661ca6078d6a478ed.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want to make a stubby grip for my 500 ATP

7739806bf23f174661ca6078d6a478ed.jpg

I used a 500 ATP buttstock for my wooden grip and it came out great. Not all 500 buttstocks are shaped the same in that area, but the one in your picture has all the right curves in all the right places.

Put a belt sander to that baby and have fun.

I used a 500 ATP buttstock for my wooden grip and it came out great. Not all 500 buttstocks are shaped the same in that area, but the one in your picture has all the right curves in all the right places.

Put a belt sander to that baby and have fun.

I can't cut up this original one... it's too nice. I was looking to get a checkered one, and cut it up- then I'd have some grip too

Man I really want to get out and put some serious ammo through this thing, but i've been so dang busy and we're still under a red flag warning. Damn wilf fires are everywhere.

Man I really want to get out and put some serious ammo through this thing, but i've been so dang busy and we're still under a red flag warning. Damn wilf fires are everywhere.

If you're in Oregon, we have a member here who is a crew leader on one of the fire crews. He's a really good guy.

Hokay!!!

About 110 rounds through the shockwave this weekend. A few interesting observations.

1. I've concluded that its ridiculously tame with #8 shot, and even standard buck. Yes you can feel it go off, but no, in no way does it try to jump out of your hands, provided you grip the thing like an adult male. Zero issue with hands sliding or getting anywhere near the safety.

2. Some high brass was hanging up when I tried to load it. Not sure why. I had ZERO issues loading target load, but a handfull of the buck I ran was hanging up and wouldn't push into the tube. I'm not sure if shells already in the tube were sticking, or it could be the brass lip was hanging on the middle tab of the elevator. I'll have to dick around with that. All rounds functioned, fed, and extracted fine. It was just 3 or 4 shells that I had difficulty sticking into the tube...

3. "Limp wristing" appears to be possible with this thing. When I run a shotgun, I run the action damn near instantly after the trigger is pulled, allowing the inertia of the recoil to aid me in the reward stroke, and driving the action forward to follow through and lock into battery as I'm pointing back in on the target. This appeared problematic when allowing the shockwave to "roll back" with the recoil when fired from eye level. I had 2 or 3 target loads fail to clear the ejection port. I believe this was because as I allowed the gun to roll up and back with the recoil, I was attempting to run the action at the same time which resulted in a less vigorous reward stroke as the whole gun was moving backwards. Same concept as limp wristing a semi auto handgun. Once I became more aware of this and tried to remain deliberate in running the action while absorbing the recoil, the issue went away. Food for thought though.

4. Aiming is downright unnatural. Hip firing is hard elevation wise, and so is eye level firing. After the first 50 or so I had a much better hang of the eye level firing, but I found myself having to actively remind myself to get the ass end of the gun up high enough to partially obscure the bottom of the bead, otherwise I'd miss high. Its just not a natural way to shoot considering there is no stock to at least get the back of the shotgun up to cheek level. I think this is just something to practice with, but I have a fun idea that may alleviate the issue completely.

5. The heat shield DOES indeed shift. Not much, after 100 rounds it moved like 1/8" or 3/16" forward, but I think I have a solution for this. I intend to drill a small shallow hole in the underside of the heat shield, and will simply back out my original front sight filler screw so that it acts as a retaining pin, of sorts. Once clamped down, that should keep it from shifting.

6. This thing is an EFFING BLAST to shoot. oh man was it fun! I love it.

BZc39uDBFP4

Try aiming with a light or if you are not comfortable or able to aim with it, try a laser.

I'm not very fond of lasers, but I think the Beamshot lasers like the Predator had with the triangle 3 dot would do pretty good.

Predator-3-Beam-Laser.jpg

I don't want a light or a laser, I'll just practice a few more times, as mentioned, it was mostly about establishing and then remembering the correct sight picture.

I have a plan I will try to implement later tonight :)

Hokay!!!

About 110 rounds through the shockwave this weekend. A few interesting observations.

1. I've concluded that its ridiculously tame with #8 shot, and even standard buck. Yes you can feel it go off, but no, in no way does it try to jump out of your hands, provided you grip the thing like an adult male. Zero issue with hands sliding or getting anywhere near the safety.

2. Some high brass was hanging up when I tried to load it. Not sure why. I had ZERO issues loading target load, but a handfull of the buck I ran was hanging up and wouldn't push into the tube. I'm not sure if shells already in the tube were sticking, or it could be the brass lip was hanging on the middle tab of the elevator. I'll have to dick around with that. All rounds functioned, fed, and extracted fine. It was just 3 or 4 shells that I had difficulty sticking into the tube...

3. "Limp wristing" appears to be possible with this thing. When I run a shotgun, I run the action damn near instantly after the trigger is pulled, allowing the inertia of the recoil to aid me in the reward stroke, and driving the action forward to follow through and lock into battery as I'm pointing back in on the target. This appeared problematic when allowing the shockwave to "roll back" with the recoil when fired from eye level. I had 2 or 3 target loads fail to clear the ejection port. I believe this was because as I allowed the gun to roll up and back with the recoil, I was attempting to run the action at the same time which resulted in a less vigorous reward stroke as the whole gun was moving backwards. Same concept as limp wristing a semi auto handgun. Once I became more aware of this and tried to remain deliberate in running the action while absorbing the recoil, the issue went away. Food for thought though.

4. Aiming is downright unnatural. Hip firing is hard elevation wise, and so is eye level firing. After the first 50 or so I had a much better hang of the eye level firing, but I found myself having to actively remind myself to get the ass end of the gun up high enough to partially obscure the bottom of the bead, otherwise I'd miss high. Its just not a natural way to shoot considering there is no stock to at least get the back of the shotgun up to cheek level. I think this is just something to practice with, but I have a fun idea that may alleviate the issue completely.

5. The heat shield DOES indeed shift. Not much, after 100 rounds it moved like 1/8" or 3/16" forward, but I think I have a solution for this. I intend to drill a small shallow hole in the underside of the heat shield, and will simply back out my original front sight filler screw so that it acts as a retaining pin, of sorts. Once clamped down, that should keep it from shifting.

6. This thing is an EFFING BLAST to shoot. oh man was it fun! I love it.

BZc39uDBFP4

Dr. I used a gel blue loc-tite under the front barrel band and then tightened the screws tightly. The gel loc-tite spreads and covers the inside of the barrel band better than normal liquid blue loc-tite. It provides a stronger grip for the band and, yet, is easily removable.

Dr. I used a gel blue loc-tite under the front barrel band and then tightened the screws tightly. The gel loc-tite spreads and covers the inside of the barrel band better than normal liquid blue loc-tite. It provides a stronger grip for the band and, yet, is easily removable.

how much have you fired it without having it shift? I'm curious how permanent that result will be. I don't mean permanent as in irreversible, more so permanent as in how long it'll last.

I have about 80-90 rounds with zero movement. It was a mix of 2 3/4" and mini-shells. That was with the liquid blue loc-tite I had used that had spotty coverage under the barrel band when I removed it. I then found the gel blue loc-tite and got much better coverage under the barrel band for a complete coverage. I say this because of the gel that oozed out from the band when I tightened the screws. I have not yet fired the Shockwave with the gel blue loc-tite.

Somehow, putting Loctite on the barrel of a gun does not seem like a good idea to me, because how you get Loctite to come lose easy is heat it up.

I guess it all depends on how hot things get.

Somehow, putting Loctite on the barrel of a gun does not seem like a good idea to me, because how you get Loctite to come lose easy is heat it up.

I guess it all depends on how hot things get.

I used the Permatex Gel Blue Thread Locker to help hold the heat shield in place. I checked the Permatex website and I found that you can heat up the thread locker to get it to release. However, the release temperature is 450 degrees F. I don't think that shooting, even strings of rapid fire, will allow the muzzle to get near the 450 degrees. The seal should be fine with normal shooting.

Well 450°F seems pretty reasonable. If you get up to that temperature I think ammunition will start cooking off.

Back