• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Finally got to shoot my new 500! Now what....

Wackostu

Hey all, I am a happy man today because yesterday I finally got a chance to take my 500 to the range and put some shells through it! (And have the shoulder abrasion to prove it!)

This is the first time I have shot anything in 25 years, and have never shot a shotgun. I was so impressed by this thunderstick, and the boom it made on the range had the bystanders looking away from the 22's and 9mm plinking away.

I put 25 rounds of 2 3/4 8 shot Remington Gun Club and 25 of the same in Federal target. I also let loose 10 3" rifled slugs just for fun.

I was impressed that at 75 yards (the longest at this range) the accuracy of this gun is impressive even for a novice like me in both the shot and the slug. (I should have got some buckshot just for the heck of it!)

Here are my questions:

1. Did I shoot too much? A buddy if mine said I was crazy putting that much through her. Not sure where he was coming from on that...... and I hope it is not true because I want to go again this week and see how my patterns will change with different shells, ammo, etc.

2. When I got back from the range, is there a "post-outting" clean I should have done? I know she doesn't need a full tear down but not sure....

3. Anything else I should have done?

Thanks to all here who have given me advise and guidance as I researched, bought, cleaned and now, finally, shot this beauty.

One thing I forgot to add:

When I got to the range, I was puzzled because I could only get two shells loaded. I thought for sure that when I broke her down for the post-purchase cleaning I screwed something up. When I got home, I found that I didn't take that darn wooden dowel out. :oops: Noob Mistake. Next time at the range I can now get off a full 6 shots!

glad to hear you had a good time.
can't shoot a mossberg too much,,,that's what it's built for.
i would tear it down and give her a good cleaning.
,,,and get that big smile off your face. :D

Attachments

• smile030.jpg
    smile030.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 239
Your gun can handle a lot more rounds than your shoulder can. :D Perhaps that is what he was referring to.

MikeD said:
Your gun can handle a lot more rounds than your shoulder can. :D Perhaps that is what he was referring to.

You might be right. Although I must have been shooting somewhat correctly because I was not that sore.

I am just glad the first round didn't put me on my rear in front of the whole range.

old mossy said:
glad to hear you had a good time.
can't shoot a mossberg too much,,,that's what it's built for.
i would tear it down and give her a good cleaning.
,,,and get that big smile off your face. :D

Lol, I am still smiling....

Welcome to the forum! Did the 10 3" slugs get your attention?!?! That is one serious "bullet" yes?!?!

Wackostu said:
Here are my questions:

1. Did I shoot too much? A buddy if mine said I was crazy putting that much through her. Not sure where he was coming from on that...... and I hope it is not true because I want to go again this week and see how my patterns will change with different shells, ammo, etc.

2. When I got back from the range, is there a "post-outting" clean I should have done? I know she doesn't need a full tear down but not sure....

Thanks to all here who have given me advise and guidance as I researched, bought, cleaned and now, finally, shot this beauty.

Wackostu,

1. If you can physically handle it, afford the rounds, shoot it. A note on patterning, not only diffrent rounds and types, but your pattern will differ with distance.

2. I was brought up, if you shot it, you clean it. I tore the gun down when it came out of the box brand new. I did a really good job getting all the factory junk out. After my first outing, I had put roughly 50 rounds through it, Target, Buck, and Slugs (Various Makes and sizes). When I got home, I did like I was learned, tore her down and cleaned her.

What I found surprised me. There was almost no fouling from powder in the receiver. It was still well lubricated. The barrel was the dirtiest thing of the whole gun (as is understandable). I went out an bought a bore snake. Now after I shoot, I just run a bore snake, and spray the gun down with Oil.

So as post shooting clean up? If anything, run a bore snake down the barrel. I would probably do a full tear down at least once a year, if needed.

3. Not that I can tell. Sounds like you got the stick out. More Ammo, and more fun.

Frank

Yes, Frank makes a good point. Doing some work with your chokes with various loads at various distances will really help you understand what the gun is capable of doing. A shooting center near me has a dedicated pattern range that really helps keep the process organized. They offer an endless roll of craft paper and an oversize backdrop so you can see even very wide patterns. The shooting bench rolls (wheels lock) on a concrete pad marked in 5 yd increments. If you are deliberate about it and come well stocked ( and take notes) you can learn a heck of a lot about a gun in a single session! I transcribed my notes from a major session and keep them in my choke carrier. I find myself double checking what I "think" pretty frequently. I've added a few new brands of ammo since then and if I shoot them at 3 distances with 3 chokes I can pretty much fill in the rest and see how they match up.

When I was doing my first major test session I also shot twice for each test. This added a bit of certainty to the results - not allowing one fluke load skew findings. For pattern counts I just divided by 2.

You got the XXF with the gun (yes?) - what else to you have for chokes?

mingaa said:
You got the XXF with the gun (yes?) - what else to you have for chokes?

Help me. What is XXF?

All I know is I received a full, an Imp, and whatever choke is in the barrel right out of the box (I didn't screw it out and look, but I should)

mingaa said:
Welcome to the forum! Did the 10 3" slugs get your attention?!?! That is one serious "bullet" yes?!?!

Yes! Mine and everyone else at the range. One of the "hangers-on" watching the young guys shoot their pistols said "Wow, what was that" after the first one.

Wackostu said:
Hey all, I am a happy man today because yesterday I finally got a chance to take my 500 to the range and put some shells through it! (And have the shoulder abrasion to prove it!)

This is the first time I have shot anything in 25 years, and have never shot a shotgun. I was so impressed by this thunderstick, and the boom it made on the range had the bystanders looking away from the 22's and 9mm plinking away.

I put 25 rounds of 2 3/4 8 shot Remington Gun Club and 25 of the same in Federal target. I also let loose 10 3" rifled slugs just for fun.

I was impressed that at 75 yards (the longest at this range) the accuracy of this gun is impressive even for a novice like me in both the shot and the slug. (I should have got some buckshot just for the heck of it!)

Here are my questions:

Shouldn't have to do anything except swab out the barrel. Here's how, according to Box 'o Truth: http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu9.htm

Next time you go to the range and shoot slugs, take a couple pumpkins or watermelons with you. That will really impress them! :D

Frank Castle said:
Wackostu said:
Here are my questions:

Wackostu,

1. If you can physically handle it, afford the rounds, shoot it. A note on patterning, not only diffrent rounds and types, but your pattern will differ with distance.

2. I was brought up, if you shot it, you clean it. I tore the gun down when it came out of the box brand new. I did a really good job getting all the factory junk out. After my first outing, I had put roughly 50 rounds through it, Target, Buck, and Slugs (Various Makes and sizes). When I got home, I did like I was learned, tore her down and cleaned her.

What I found surprised me. There was almost no fouling from powder in the receiver. It was still well lubricated. The barrel was the dirtiest thing of the whole gun (as is understandable). I went out an bought a bore snake. Now after I shoot, I just run a bore snake, and spray the gun down with Oil.

So as post shooting clean up? If anything, run a bore snake down the barrel. I would probably do a full tear down at least once a year, if needed.

3. Not that I can tell. Sounds like you got the stick out. More Ammo, and more fun.

Frank

Thank you for this. I will get a bore snake. When I got the gun I picked up a Hoppe's cleaning kit, but it only has a rod. From what I have read, the snake is preferred. Will have to stop and pick one up tonight.

Back