• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Finding a parkerized 18.5" barrel is like pulling hen's teeth

JayC

.270 WIN
I can't believe how difficult it is to find a parkerized 18.5" barrel. I thought it would be as simple as calling Mossberg to order it, but that doesn't appear to be the case either. I went to my LGS the other day. They couldn't help. No online retailers have any. I did see a couple on eBay in the last two weeks, but I couldn't get them because of bid snipers. I thought it would be a sure bet to call Mossberg, but I was told they don't sell 18.5" barrels in the parkerized finish. The lady said they sell the 590 parkerized (which I already knew). It seemed like she didn't believe me when I said my 500 came parkerized with the 28" and 24" barrels until I gave her my serial number. Then she said sometimes they do a special run on them. It's looking more and more like eBay may be my only chance, however small, of ever finding one.

You can buy the 590 barrel and change out the magazine tube.

I run 500A barrels on my 835 by doing this.

835_500_deer_003_zpsdb841bca.jpg

Only standard production 18.5" park'd barrels for the 500 series are heavy breachers and the standard 590 series only comes in the 20" variety. If you don't want a breacher, you'll have to swap over to the 590/835 mag tube/cap then find an 18.5" 590A1 barrel as they are the only standard (current) production 18.5" park'd non-breacher barrels...

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'm feeling a bit disillusioned or something. I was not expecting it to be this near impossible.

Only standard production 18.5" park'd barrels for the 500 series are heavy breachers and the standard 590 series only comes in the 20" variety. If you don't want a breacher, you'll have to swap over to the 590/835 mag tube/cap then find an 18.5" 590A1 barrel as they are the only standard (current) production 18.5" park'd non-breacher barrels...

Really? Now I'm really confused. I could have swore I saw some 500s in the gallery here that had a regular 18.5" barrel that's parkerized.

The barrel on GunBroker looks like it has a thicker wall to me...?

Park'd and matte blue are very similar in appearance.

I have no doubt you may have seen them. My comment is that there are no current production park'd barrels for the 500 line. This makes them very difficult to come by...

That's a good find @mbshop and I'm sure the link will be helpful to the OP.

You're not missing anything. Mossberg has made park'd 500 barrels, case in point model 50521, and like the link you posted there are barrels out there to be found. My point is that getting your hands on one isn't as easy as calling Mossberg anymore as these barrels are apparently not in current production. The barrels you find will likely be old stock or take-offs offered in auction by private sellers...

Guess some folks just like putting USGI in their item descriptions for search criteria.

Mossberg did make two "mil-spec" 500 models several years back, the 500 MILS and 500M MILS (50474 and 50476). Both featured heavy park'd barrels and metal trigger housings and a limited run of around 5000 shotguns were released into the commercial market. Both models were eventually discontinued and replaced by the 590A1...

Plus i'm not sure that the amount of thickness would be enough to prevent you from using the shield. But it seems that is the way they come.not sure there are any alternatives out there.

Actually Mossberg is producing an 18.5 in parked barrel at the moment.

http://www.mossberg.com/product/shotguns-pump-action-500-special-purpose-500-magpul-exclusives/50426

The gun model # is 50426. Its an exclusive Magpul furnitured model for a distributor. Unfortunately that means they won't sell that barrel direct to a consumer but they do exist. In the past they've done a few other special runs for other distributors like Davidson's, Lipsey's etc.......... all sporting a standard 18.5 and 500 barrel nut that were factory parked. The gunbroker listing can very well be a pull from one of those previous firearms.

It's a long shot but you can contact the RSR group whom is currently doing the Magpul model and see if you can obtain a barrel directly from them but most likely it will have to be ordered through a dealer.

Alternatively you can see about having a standard blued one being refinished.

Good luck.

It's not. MSRP is always higher than street price.

It appears between 400 and 450has been the average street for that particular model. I've even seen it offered a few times less than 400 at a few etailers and obviously those places are outta stock already.

Consider that this furniture cost about 125ish if you bought it to upgrade your own 500.
Then whatever the cost of that 500 assuming it already had the 18.5 inch barrel and thats most likely not going to be parked either. If it didn't and you have to swap a longer barrel for a shorter one that you might be better off buying the exclusive. Especially if you really want that barrel parked in an 18.5 length. Magpul furniture IMO is just a bonus. I guess one could always sell it or trade it if they really just wanted that barrel.

For that particular configuration its actually not a bad deal if your absolutely set on having a 500 18.5 parked barrel with the Magpul furniture. For the 590 version if your diligent and shop around you can get your base 590 and add that furuniture for less. Also then you would have the option of tan or gray variety instead of being stuck with black only.

I drink the Magpul kool aid so I'm biased lol. I've considered this one as a potential purchase.

Like I said as of right now thats the only current production model I'm aware of sporting the barrel your after. There have been others in the past. Keep diligent and looking and you might find one of those for an excellent deal secondhand. Consider the rest of the gun spare parts or a future project etc...... If you just want a barrel outright right now that gun broker link provided above sounds like your deal. If it were me I'd pounce. Good luck sir.

Just my 2 cents. YMMV as usual.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies. I've been following the GunBroker listing, and checking eBay multiple times a day. lol I'm pretty patient, so right now I'm just going to keep an eye on eBay and any new GunBroker listings. To me, the guy is asking too much for that barrel on GunBroker. Plus, he's charging nearly $20 to ship it. I just can't justify $150 for an 18.5" barrel, parkerized or not.

Back