• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Finding a parkerized 18.5" barrel is like pulling hen's teeth

Well, maybe ask the seller. But that looks like it may become higher and the shipping is near the other one. Not sure you are going to save much. Hope it is parkerized and the price don't go up !

I'm hoping the price doesn't move much. The last two parked barrels I saw on eBay sold for $80 or less. I got bid sniped on the last one for $76. If it goes too high I'll just let it go.

Well, it looks like another possible barrel showed up on eBay. I'm not too familiar with eBay, so per the suggestion above I did ask the seller of the previous listed barrel if it was parkerized. Turns out it wasn't, but matte blued. Now that I'm more familiar with eBay I would ask the seller of this latest barrel if it was parkerized, but they clearly state in the description they don't know if it's parkerized. I'm having a hard time trying to tell if it's parkerized or not. The way I have been identifying parkerized barrels is where the post for the mounting screw by the muzzle is. On my two parkerized barrels, there is a tan colored strip there. I guess the weld material or whatever it is doesn't parkerize? Anyway, I'm just wondering what other people here think about this barrel? I apologize for keep bringing this up. I feel like a broken record, but I promise that once I find a parkerized 18.5" barrel I won't mention parkerization again. :D

Here's the link to the latest barrel in question:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mossberg-50...088?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a4028c8c0

FWIW My 870 has a parkerized barrel and after many many years of use and abuse, it shows very little in the way of wear or scratches. I don't have a parkerized barrel on any of my Mossbergs for comparison but i would assume it has similar resilience.

My 500 has been a real learning experience that's for sure. When I got my 500 I wasn't that familiar with shotguns. Dunhams had it on sale as a bundle. I had never heard of parkerization until awhile after I had it. I didn't give the finish any sort of thought. It's a challenge to find the right barrel, but now that I've had the 500 for almost two years now I'm glad it's parkerized. It seems easier to find parkerized barrels for the 870 than the 500.

Rem had a larger selection of guns, field and tactical that are parkerized making them a bit easier to find. Honestly I didn't buy it because of the parkerized finish, I only bought it because it was a LOT cheaper than the blued models. Finish is not a big concern for me as it can always be refinished at some point if needed.

Well, I decided to throw in the towel. Last week I ordered a matte blue 18.5" barrel from Grab A Gun. They had a great price. The barrel came yesterday, and I like the matte blue a thousand times better than the gloss blue one I had before. Even though the barrel still doesn't match the parkerization on the magazine tube, it just goes better since it's matte. I was also surprised how close matte bluing and parkerization actually look next to each other. I knew it would happen, and just my luck a parkerized 18.5" barrel has showed up on eBay after not having one for almost two months. :confused:

as long as you are happy, congrats on your purchase. I'm looking for an 18.5 barrel as long as its super cheap. I suspect that it will take me a very long time.

Thanks. I don't know how low you're looking for, but Grab A Gun had the lowest retail price I have been able to find so far.

hmm - my Cruiser came stock with an 18.5 parked ported barrel.

ill trade for a 20" / 8 shot mag if anyone is interested

Back