• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Firing Pin Spring - Remove?

ADL

.22LR
I had s few misfires today, took a look at the primers and it was a light strike.

The firing pin spring is very stiff. I could not push it in at all with my finger.

I cleaned it, nice and dry, tried again and it's just so stiff!

I removed the spring, tested the shotgun again and no issues what so ever.

Any reason to add it back in?

Anyone else had the same issues?

It is a brand new mossberg 590 retrograde 18.5" barrel.

My 2 cents. Reinstall the firing pin spring. It’s there for a reason and Mossberg service would frown on it not being there if you ever needed service.
Sometimes when I’m fast firing I pull the trigger a split second before the bolt is in full battery. This results in a misfire. This is a training issue not an equipment issue.

My 2 cents. Reinstall the firing pin spring. It’s there for a reason and Mossberg service would frown on it not being there if you ever needed service.
Sometimes when I’m fast firing I pull the trigger a split second before the bolt is in full battery. This results in a misfire. This is a training issue not an equipment issue.

Thanks for the feedback.

I did re-install the firing pin spring after I changed it up a bit. It is no longer as stiff as it was before. It seems to have fixed the problem for me. I took a look at the fired shells before/after and the dents are much deeper now and no misfires after the mod.

I don't recommend anyone doing this to their firearm. This is what I did for mine and it is working great.

Update:

I replaced the spring. I purchased a replacement spring and it is much thinner and I can actually press the firing pin down.

Tried a few shots and the primer dents are much deeper and not puny like before.

Over the weekend I will put a couple hundred rounds on it and see how it performs.

This guy had a similar issue as me. Nutfancy in youtube also ran into this issue.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=490878&start=40

Let us know how you make out after putting a couple of hundred down range. I wish I had a couple hundred to spare. Shotgun ammo is pretty hard to find here.

Let us know how you make out after putting a couple of hundred down range. I wish I had a couple hundred to spare. Shotgun ammo is pretty hard to find here.

Are you having trouble getting target loads?

Yep will update results.

I speculate that stiff spring is in there to prevent slam fires in the event the firing pin gets dirty under "intense" conditions. Or even if it gets dropped from some distance.

You could technically keep it free floating like a winchester 94 or even an sks, but keep the gun clean after regular use.

Yes. Here in western NY 12 gauge is hard to find. Any type from slugs to buck to target loads. The shelves are bare.

My brand new 590 is also light striking. Also has firing pin spring that is VERRRY stiff. Currently with gunsmith at local shop where I purchased as he wanted to look at it before I returned to Mossberg or did anything myself. He also is leaning towards the spring being the issue - will update when I know more…

My brand new 590 is also light striking. Also has firing pin spring that is VERRRY stiff. Currently with gunsmith at local shop where I purchased as he wanted to look at it before I returned to Mossberg or did anything myself. He also is leaning towards the spring being the issue - will update when I know more…
Sorry to hear your problems with your new 590.
Please keep us posted.

Still nothing from local shop, in case anyone is waiting for the answer here. After having gone through the entire thing with the gunsmith in person and disassembled (does not fire at all, light strikes, ammo fired fine in a Remington 870, 870 ammo did not fire in 590, Hornady did not fire in 590, spring extremely stiff compared to my older 500, etc), his helper called two weeks later to say ‘sometimes you have to put 200-300 rounds through it to break-in.

How can it break-in when it won’t fire at all??

Spoke to owner of shop and reiterated the entire story. He called Mossberg and had them send him a new spring, but that won’t arrive until (hopefully) some time next week. He said they’ll put it in and see how it feels, but they have no way of testing it, so then I’ll have to do that and if still light-striking, then we’re first sending back to Mossberg a month later…

Someone told me once upon a time about Porsche, that sometimes it takes so long to get a part you forgot you owned the car - I hope that doesn’t happen here…

‘sometimes you have to put 200-300 rounds through it to break-in. Translation: we don't have a clue what's wrong or how to fix it. Fingers crossed that the new spring is the fix. You've waiting long enough.

So far my experience as a Porsche owner has been pretty good. Compared to waiting on ATFE for a Form 4 approval, getting parts is easy.

No clue OR they are regretting volunteering to look at something that they aren’t getting paid for by anyone. They prolly figured it would be a 10 minute job, but we all know there’s no such thing…

Porsche is pretty good now as far as parts availability and aftermarket support - I was referring to the 80s and part of the 90s (yes - I’m old - lol)

Talk with Mossberg service directly. I’ve always had a good experience with them. Sometimes it can take some time but they do the job.

The shop volunteered that they wanted to see if they could fix quickly, because Mossberg can take forever. Plus in NJ there is a cost associated with a ‘free’ return, due to FFL. PLUS, I work with a guy who used to be an engineer at Mossberg and he said they are always looking for reasons to deny warranty…

Back