• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

First Aid Kits

Yep corn starch works pretty good on nails. Also if you can get them to calm down. So many dogs hate nail trims and gets their heart rate up.
We do have the powder for them.
Nicks on a dogs ear are good bleeders as well.

I wouldn't mind taking a couple of classes. That's something to look into for sure.

Great info guys, keep it coming!
Good to know about the Quick Clot. I hadn't done any research on it yet but I was thinking it was a if all else fails deal.
Does it expire?

Gunny, I'll look into both of those books. I feel info like that is always good to have, even if you personally know it. You might have to pass it along at some point.
My compass is a Cammenga Model 27 and I also have a cheaper Silva for a backup.

My Rip away EMT pouch came in today so I'm going to start getting everything sorted.

This is the one you'll want to get (there are several different ones) http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/Pocket-Ref-by-Thomas-J-Glover-p754.htm . Maxpedition also has many other items you might find useful such as firstaid pouches, shell holders, etc.

Last edited:
Sorry for reviving an old thread...
But, regular superglue is fine for minor wounds and cheaper than "medical" super glue. The only difference is that medical glue does not sting.
Quick clot should be used for bleeding wounds that are otherwise not stopped by other conventional means or there is going to be a long transfer time.
I have several load outs for various excursions. From boo boo kits up to field surgery kits.

For waterproof pill holders, you should stay away from any plastic containers. Plastics are hygroscopic, which means humidity will be transported thru the plastic and could result in deterioration of the pills over time. Look for something like a metal cigar tube that has a screw top with a seal or that can be sealed with wax.

A small bottle of filtered raw honey should be included in the kit also. Can be used to prevent infection in cuts and scrapes and it tastes good.
Make that "some plastics are hygro"....not "plastics are hygro". Common pill bottles like polypro and polysty are NOT hygro. And as to hygro being a problem, it depends on what you plan to store and for how many decades. You don't tend to plan to store meds in a first aid kit for twenty years nor do you have any probs in the intended lifespan of a medicine packed in one.

Common pill bottles, in all sizes, are all perfect for first aid kit storage of meds. They are NON-hygroscopic.

This is my wheel house. So...I am pretty sure I can give you some good ideas on what to pack for a range bag, IFAK kit....just ask. Here to help.

@SHubbell , it's good to have you and your wheelhouse with us.
Our shooting club has first aid kits available at the club house and we have some in the Sheriff squads when we are teaching at the range.

Could you give us a briefing on quick-coag products: brands, types, cost, shelf life, etc. These are things I'd like to know if I make suggestions in this field. Right now I'm ignorant, but I'm eager to hear advice from those w/ practical experience.
images

edit: change anti-coag to quick-coagulant [obviously]

Last edited:
Thank you and absolutely. I am OOT today, so, tomorrow I will get you some links when I have my regular computer.

If you have some grant money, donations or seized funds, there are some really great pre-packaged kits for public areas (which actually kind of sucks if you think about it) just like AED's. It is the same gear I carry, most LEO's carry and the military carry. Just different colors. Normally I would not recommend pre-packaged kits, but these are top quality and designed for penetrating wounds. You can also become an instructor on it in a couple of hours as these are not only designed for medical personnel but also the lay person.
This link is for the active shooter, mass casualty kit. It will give you an idea.

https://www.narescue.com/public-access-bleeding-control-stations-8-pack-nylon

That is the sight I know of. There may be others that have different pricing. It is a good starting point though.

The kits are vacuumed sealed and the most recent one I saw was "good" until 2021.

I am in no way affiliated with this company or any of the gear. I have just used all of it in real life situations and know that it works. All of the individual pieces are available on Amazon or other vendors as well.

This is very important topic that deserved reviving. It should be important to all and definetly those who share our common hobby. As soon as i read it i went and checked dates on my quick clot which i couldnt remember when i last checked. It DOES have a shelf life. The most important things in my range bag are TWO clotting agent envelopes, TWO gi wound dressings and a tourniquet. I am not a medical professional at all. I have been exposed to trauma caused by gunshots and had some immediate action training and have utilized it in real life. Seek out knowledge from skilled professionals it may save your or someone else's life. My sister happens to be a doctor and spent many years in an ER. I always pick her brain when I can. I know the clotting agents have come along way over last few years and do not know which is best. However, i currently have the Quickclot ACS it is supposed to be easier for the docs to clean out wound after its use than older versions and have less burn. Also, my limited and non proffesional knowledge is clotting agent on AFTER attempting to stop bleeding with direct pressure and dont use on an ouchy non life threatening wound its painful and makes a dang heckuva mess in wound if not needed. Thats my two cents worth of knowledge.
Ps in teotwawki scenario most of your petshops carry versions typically for large birds which can bleed out quick if injured. And yes its gonna hurt ALOT.

I carry QC Combat Gauze. It is vacuumed sealed and has a long shelf life. As long as there is no exposure to direct sunlight, most of the gear will work well beyond the shelf life in a SHTF situation. As Djcala said, QC has come a long way since its development. It is better and easier to clean from a wound. The powder type is a mess, but it will work. I think you can even get it at WalMart? And yes it is going to sting!
The other pieces I carry in my IFAK are a couple of 3.25", 14 gauge needles for chest decompression and a 26 french nasal pharyngeal airway. All the things is this kit are easy to train on as typically it will be a part of your group that will be rendering aide to you. I use to teach TCCC and most of the people only have basic 1st aide and CPR training. Only takes a couple of hours to advance to the rest of the gear. As I said earlier, there are all sorts of Stop the Bleeding classes one can take and even become an instructor in. It is well worth the time and effort. Trauma shears are you friend. They are cheap and can go through leather with ease. Jeans are like paper. I will try to get a list and links put together sometime today for a complete IFAK.

Last edited:
A couple of other things to consider if you are deep wooding it, a cell phone booster and a charging unit. I haven't found a booster I have liked yet, so update me if you all have found one. I have been carrying the Pocket Juice charger for several years though and it works well. And it has a light. It appears we will be deployed to FL in the next few days, so it will for sure be going with me. It holds a charge for a loooooong time. I think mine is a Gen 1? Not sure. I can say if I haven't used it in quite some time, it still has enough juice to charge a phone easily.

A couple of other things to consider if you are deep wooding it, a cell phone booster and a charging unit. I haven't found a booster I have liked yet, so update me if you all have found one. I have been carrying the Pocket Juice charger for several years though and it works well. And it has a light. It appears we will be deployed to FL in the next few days, so it will for sure be going with me. It holds a charge for a loooooong time. I think mine is a Gen 1? Not sure. I can say if I haven't used it in quite some time, it still has enough juice to charge a phone easily.

I've heard good things about the "BioLite" stove. It's a small stove that has a Peltier device in it (uses dissimilar metals and a heat differential to generate electricity. Black magic physics.)

Throw sticks and twigs or anything combustible into the stove. Make yourself some coffee or cook a meal. All the while, it's trickle charging a battery pack. You can then use that battery to charge anything you need via USB port.

You have endless charging potential, so long as you have access to combustible materials.

I'm going to bring one with me on my next trip into the deep Alaska bush. Charging my GPS while cooking a grouse? Win-win.

Good luck in FL, and thank you for your service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've heard good things about the "BioLite" stove. It's a small stove that has a Peltier device in it (uses dissimilar metals and a heat differential to generate electricity. Black magic physics.)

Throw sticks and twigs or anything combustible into the stove. Make yourself some coffee or cook a meal. All the while, it's trickle charging a battery pack. You can then use that battery to charge anything you need via USB port.

You have endless charging potential, so long as you have access to combustible materials.

I'm going to bring one with me on my next trip into the deep Alaska bush. Charging my GPS while cooking a grouse? Win-win.

Good luck in FL, and thank you for your service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you.

I will look into the BioLite!!

Forgive me of this has been mentioned but your daily up keep in medications like inhalers and medications such has this. Especially if you're going back packing or traveling to a foreign country. Have extra not just in your normal bag but also in an emergency kit. Don't forget anti fever, benadryl, epi and anti nausea/ diarrhea meds. Similarly with honey candies hard candies (jolly ranchers skittles) hypoglycemia is a bitch to deal with when your thought process gets foggy. Trauma has mentioned before by the other I like it. Nothing will be more beneficial then taking a training class. Look into wilderness medical certification has well has CPR and first aid any Fire department can point you towards training or EMS. If you have a volunteer agency in your area they may be looking for members and you can get the EMT certification through them. Edit for link for training https://www.wildmed.com/wilderness-medical-courses/

Last edited:
While I have some kit I will admit I'm not well versed in application. I had taken a first aid course in the early 2000s as part of an elective in college and was certified after the course.

I have a 3 hour in-extremis medical training I signed up for to deal with gun and knife wounds in March 2018 to compliment my carbine course I'll be taking in April. Here's the overview of the class:

Seminar content will include but is not limited to:
In-Extremis Medical Mindset
Life Threatening Injuries:
-Hemorrhage, Penetrating Trauma, Lacerations
Contacting & Communicating with Authorities
Individual Medical Kit (IMK) components and placement
Individual Assessment Procedure
Types of Bandages, Pressure Dressings and Hemostatic Agents
Types of Tourniquets
Types of Wound Seals
Practical Drilling

In my plate carrier pouch, I have:

2 bags of kwik clot
2 large packing gauze
4 large (hospital grade) waterproof bandages like they give people with heart cath's and such
tourniquet
gloves
2 clamp/locking hemostats
bottle of ambesol max strength novacaine

My hiking kit is a standard mil-surp IFAK. The plastic insert box type. Contains the standard three sizes of bandaids in sealed packets, an eye kit, a CPR card, one triangle muslin bandage/sling, two compressed dressings (pressure dressings), one compressed gauze roll, two pill bottles (one has a small bottle of betadyne, the other has a 50 bottle of water purify tabs) and one stick of Chapstik with sunblock. On a longer trip or if I plan to have a friend or two along, I'll pack another IFAK with two more compresses, extra gauze pads, a roll of tape etc. There's not really much that's going to happen that you won't be able to handle with that. I'm a survivalist in most senses of the word, but I'm also a realist. A rifle round to the thorax, I ain't walking out, plain and simple. I don't really plan for combat, I simply won't be in it. My meds kit, my dailies, vitamins, asprins, Tylenol, anti-runs, salves etc all fit into a single 40dram pill bottle. You can pack a couple of dozen asprins etc into a tiny ziplock baggy. All your meds fit the one pill bottle and it's waterproof. If you have a larger group or you need a house kit, make a separate meds kit with full sized bottles. You can buy all sorts of sizes of empty firstaid kit boxes off of ebay cheaply. You can buy empty bottles the same way. I buy gallon sized Betadyne etc and fill 4oz bottles for smaller kits (car, camper, squad kit) and printable labels, again, ebay, are cheap. A platoon sized kit (common 20 person $25 kit size) I pack in the larger green mil-surp boxes. A dozen 5x9 combi/abpads, rolls of gauze, gauze pads, rolls of tape, a SAM splint in each, tongue depressors, eye pads, hundreds of bandaids, ACE bandages etc. Individual small bottles of asprin and tylenol, tools and scalpel kits, suture kits etc are packed into ziplocks. My largest kits are M17's. Those are full field aid station kits. I've only ever pulled those out twice to serve as first aid officer for events (foot races and hikes), and I always took them to SCA events. Used lots of bandaids and lots of gauze and tape but never had to use a 12 x 30" trauma dressing, I'm glad to say, but I have a half dozen if needed! Never had to perform emergency surgery, but I have the tools and the knowhow if necessary. My resupply box, isn't really a kit itself but it has maybe forty pounds of all the basics stashed in a blue sealed tub in the basement.

Back