• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

first CF Mossberg rifle

Got my first one ever about March this year. Just wanted to fool with one and see if I could make it shoot. Got it at Sportsman's in Bend, 70 mi one way but closest place to really look for gun's. They had one 243 left which was what I wanted but it had a plastic stock on it. I just can't handle plastic stock's! Well bought it any way and when I got home called Mossberg and ordered a new one, got here in about a week. No fitting, it dropped in like it was made for that new stock.

First shot's were with the most inexpensive Federal ammo I could find, shot three group's and they averaged an inch, nothing to complain about. Then swapped stock.s and went to handloads. My mod 700 in 243 runs right t 1/2" if I do my job. This new Patriot run's right along with it. Ammo does not interchange. the Rem stuff won't chamber in the patriot. Loaded up 70gr Serria,s for it and didn't take long to find the load.

I was really surprised it needed no bedding. Most all rifles do better with a bedding job. Have only had one like this before, Win mod 70 featherweight but I did need to adjust the trigger. I was surprised to see all the plastic used in the stock but I tried it and it shoot's well and the plastic hasn't done anything bad, think I can live with it. Much as I like my new Patriot, I went out and got another, wood stock, in 308 but only shoot cast bullet's in it. Using it deer hunting this year, first time hunting with a cast bullet.

To say the least I was surprised how well the Patriot shoot's for an inexpensive rifle. If I could recommend one thing different, the trigger guard would be better made of steel. The one that came with the 243 I put 35 in lbs torque and it ruined it. Called Mossberg and they sent me out a new one right away and suggested 20-25 in lbs torque. Where checkering goes. The stuff where the checkering goes, stippling I think they call it, works great, matter of fact, on two of my 700's you can't feel the checkering. That stippling looks good to!

The trigger is the best out of the box trigger I ever used! I love my Rem 700 trigger's, they are first class, wait till the fan's see that! All of mine are set at 3#, no take up and no over travel that you can feel. Had people that have tried thoe rifle's tell me they didn't pull the trigger, sue they did!

Glad your enjoying patriot. I also have one in .243 it quickly became a favorite. Price was absurdly cheap for what you get performance wise.

Only 71??? You ain't gonna go and join the ANTIFA are you???

Do you need some .243 components?

Love the thread you started. Handloader. Rifleman. Marksman.

Only 71??? You ain't gonna go and join the ANTIFA are you???

Do you need some .243 components?

Love the thread you started. Handloader. Rifleman. Marksman.

Wouldn't that be something. Be to only member with a bald head, hearing aides and no teeth! :)

Got plenty of 243 component's but thanks!

Back