• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

First line of defense, Tactical Dog Thread!

Max

Red Malamute

I betcha' don't take his bone.

max_zpsjbboiej1.png

Still a lot of pup in him. He's only about 9 months old.

max%20024_zpsr5n3te2e.jpg

Thanks.

His name is Max.

He's a brute. I understand why they're so treasured in the artic at pulling sleds and things. It's all I can do to hold him back even when he's just playing around. I doubt that I could hold him back if he was really determined to reach somewhere/something. He'd probably win that tug-of-war match.

His favorite game is fetch. If he wants to play, he'll even pick something up and shake his head and throw it his self, just so he can go pick it up and do it again.

very smart dog. And very protective and good with the little ones.

If he wants to play, he'll even pick something up and shake his head and throw it his self, just so he can go pick it up and do it again.
a lot of Northern breeds do that lol.....my dog only has 20% Northern bread and he does it all the time, he will throw it at people .......and he knows when the BBQ is ready or food needs to be flipped.......air conditioner stopped two days ago, he came and got me, walked me to the AC in the garage and just stood their and stared at it ....
Mine doesn't talk much , but that's the wolf......all the Northern breeds talk, when they are heavy in wolf they don't.
You'll find that dog smarter than most folks you know, they need a lot of walking, not just for their physical benefit but it does something for them mentally that only walking and soaking in the surroundings can do for them
the fur.....my gawd the fur

more pics of my boy and his brother owned by my mom......5 years old this August....235 pounds between the two of them , I am 6'3" and they come up to my waist ...and they eat a lot.

a lot of Northern breeds do that lol.....my dog only has 20% Northern bread and he does it all the time, he will throw it at people .......and he knows when the BBQ is ready or food needs to be flipped.......air conditioner stopped two days ago, he came and got me, walked me to the AC in the garage and just stood their and stared at it ....
Mine doesn't talk much , but that's the wolf......all the Northern breeds talk, when they are heavy in wolf they don't.
You'll find that dog smarter than most folks you know, they need a lot of walking, not just for their physical benefit but it does something for them mentally that only walking and soaking in the surroundings can do for them
the fur.....my gawd the fur

more pics of my boy and his brother owned by my mom......5 years old this August....235 pounds between the two of them , I am 6'3" and they come up to my waist ...and they eat a lot.

Damn bro, those are some beautiful boys...

This was my best boy, Otto; he was about 110 lbs. and sadly passed away a few months ago...

Otto8.jpg

Ontario20012_zpscmnuobgy.jpg

This is my best girl, Freyja, when I first got her...

Freyja_zpspcwrwq29.jpg

Checking out a little TV with her old man...
484c9d88-8585-40a3-ba1a-d188756b764c_zpswupoaxkm.jpg

And 8 months old now and about 60-70 lbs.; she's got some big shoes to fill, but she's doing an admirable job so far...
70ee0278-bf1b-40ff-9717-f62d25334627_zpsg3btpce3.jpg

@oli700 tell her thanks.

He started out being my middle sons dog. I had to drive 2 counties over to buy him LOL.

I guess he still is, but I admit that I (and we all) have became rather attached. We have all worked with him a lot.

When we first got him a while back, he was WILD. I don't think he'd been off a chain much. For the first week, it took two people to hitch a chain on his collar to let him out of his kennel and move on the runner until he got used to us better and so he could familiarize his self with the property. He is so strong and muscular that he could be a real handful.

Now he is a lot more calm and relaxed.

He will come to me when I tell him to.

I have (almost) broken him from jumping up on me. (I never liked that much- at least not at ramming speed). Besides, he can jump and look me in the eye. Now he runs to me and sits beside of my right foot and leans against my leg and push on it with his weight to cue "me" to pet him. (sometimes I wonder who is training who).

He'll give you his paw and shake hands.

We've also been working with him to "leave it alone". That has proven to be the hardest. He's strong willed as it gets and sometimes he'll just look at me like "screw you, that's mine". But he's a really smart dog. Smarter than some people I know. It just takes some time and patience working with him.

He would've had no problem with obedience training if the people that had him had worked with him when he was a little pup. But we got him in enough time before he was too far gone to do anything with.

Thanks.

His name is Max.

He's a brute. I understand why they're so treasured in the artic at pulling sleds and things. It's all I can do to hold him back even when he's just playing around. I doubt that I could hold him back if he was really determined to reach somewhere/something. He'd probably win that tug-of-war match.

His favorite game is fetch. If he wants to play, he'll even pick something up and shake his head and throw it his self, just so he can go pick it up and do it again.

very smart dog. And very protective and good with the little ones.
Funny stuff; my Shepherd is the same way. Just because I'm done playing fetch doesn't mean she is; she has figured out how to pick up the ball and then snap her head up while simultaneously releasing her jaws and "throwing" the ball.

She'll go fetch it and bring it to me to give me another chance to join in the fun (she figures everyone should want to play 24/7); and if I don't take it or pick it up within a few seconds, she'll pick it back up and throw it again herself. She has also established herself as a true member of the "family"; it's just us two right now. When it's time to eat, we eat together; when I put her bowl of food down, she will not eat until I have finished making my own meal and have sat down to eat... she will sit by that bowl full of food until I've settled in with mine.

That's not taught behavior, either, she just does that on her own; pretty funny, I know plenty of people with less manners and etiquette.

It never ceases to amaze me how smart Shepherds are; gotta be on your toes because they figure things out and retain that information.

I took Otto over to our beach house on Sea Island once for vacation. So on the first day we weren't sure how long it'd take for him to get acclimated to his new surroundings and if nerves might make him chew on something expensive and not designed for dogs; so before heading out for some entertainment I put him in the sunroom where the floor was tile and there wasn't anything to destroy.

Come back a couple of hours later and he's in the main part of the house laying across the AC vent and looking out the sliding glass door. I could've sworn I closed the door to the sunroom before I left; I thought oh well, must not have closed it all the way. Later on we're going out to dinner, so again I put him in the sunroom, pull the door firmly, and check to make sure it's secure.

Come back after dinner and yep, he's in the main part of the house laying across the AC vent again. I'm perplexed; and it's not like he was uncomfortable in the sunroom and in dire need of the AC, because the air goes in there too and the temperature is the same... he just likes the cold air blowing on his belly, and the vent in the sunroom isn't accessible for him.

The next day we're going to be going places a dog can't go; but this time I tell the rest of the family to go on ahead of me while I put Otto in the sunroom again. I do that, and then go and open and close the front door like I'm leaving; but actually sneak back to a vantage point where he can't see or smell me, but I can see him through windows... and I just watch. It doesn't take long to solve the mystery; he walks up to the door, grabs the handle with his mouth and pulls down on it, opening the door. He walks out and then boom, he sees me coming around the corner; his ears and head go down like he knows he just did something he shouldn't...I swear he looked just like a kid caught with his hand in the cookie jar. But I was so impressed I didn't scold him and could only laugh.

That dog had never been to that house before, had only been there about an hour when we left the first time, and had only seen me open that sunroom door once to put him in there; yet he had obviously paid attention and watched intently when I did, and had learned how to operate the door handle. He didn't need anything from the main part of the house, but just didn't like being confined, no matter how comfortable it was. Fortunately for him, he had proven he was trustworthy both of the times he'd let himself out; so we didn't bother to put him in there again for the rest of the trip.

Last edited:
Awesome story.

I'm not at all surprised, but I have to say, that was funny.

To show you how smart dogs can be, my old Siberian husky Tabby, hated cats. Hated everything about them.

I would also let her out on a runner and she could go around the corner of the house in the shade if she wanted.

Well, the neighbors cat would sneak over and eat out of HER bowl sometimes.

So, after running the cat off a couple of times, I was in my parents yard next door helping Dad do something and I noticed the cat coming across the yard. I nudged Dad to look and we watched Tabby act like she was laying there sleeping until the cat got in her bowl when she sprung up and killed it on the spot.

I knew it was going to happen eventually, but I think we were both really surprised that she laid perfectly still and ambushed it.

I had never seen a dog do that. That took a lot of thought process to even come up with that idea, and then to see it through was just as surprising.

Awesome story.

I'm not at all surprised, but I have to say, that was funny.

To show you how smart dogs can be, my old Siberian husky Tabby, hated cats. Hated everything about them.

I would also let her out on a runner and she could go around the corner of the house in the shade if she wanted.

Well, the neighbors cat would sneak over and eat out of HER bowl sometimes.

So, after running the cat off a couple of times, I was in my parents yard next door helping Dad do something and I noticed the cat coming across the yard. I nudged Dad to look and we watched Tabby act like she was laying there sleeping until the cat got in her bowl when she sprung up and killed it on the spot.

I knew it was going to happen eventually, but I think we were both really surprised that she laid perfectly still and ambushed it.

I had never seen a dog do that. That took a lot of thought process to even come up with that idea, and then to see it through was just as surprising.
Cat was only going to get away with that so many times; reminds me of a pretty funny bandit vid I saw...

CoonThief_zps95c1a3b4.gif

3669979c70fc21bebc63635fe040fc80.jpg

Unfortunately my first line of defence would show the bad guy where the tv is upon receiving a good petting or a treat or two lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
That's okay, even a happy or joyful bark is a bark that'd wake you up; rather than a deterrent you just have an early warning system.

I haven't always had a big dog; I've had a beagle and a cocker spaniel before too.

image.jpeg Num nuts, AKA Leo, is 12 today. Got him at 13 weeks old, picked him up at LAX in a crate delivered from Tenneessee. He has been a excellent companion, goes to work with me almost every day, he has been to the Arctic Ocean, pre ran the Baja 1000 3 times, every mile, he has traveled Alberta and British Columbia, he has been to every state park in 7 states, crossed the continental devide numerous times and the list goes on.
Queensland Heelers are just smart and loyal dogs, if you have never experienced one, you are missing out on what mans best friend really is.

My first dog was a Queensland Heeler & I came home from work one day in 1988 to find her gone. My wife had given her away. Just like that. No mention over breakfast like, " Oh honey, I think I will sell your dog today."

Thank God she didn't sell the children!

BTW, She's been my ex-wife since 1989.

Back