• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

First post and recoil pad question

Hi there - this is my first post. I will soon take possession of my first shotgun, a 500 20 gauge (model 54300). This shotgun comes stock with a vented recoil pad.

I have a silly question: does a Limbsaver slip on recoil pad go over the stock pad or do you remove the stock pad first?

Dave

Welcome to the forum from NY and congrats on your new Mossy.

No silly questions here.

Normally the stock pad would come off.

Don't forget pics when you get your new Mossy.;)

A Limbsaver would be more for a gun that didn't come with a recoil pad but are also made to slip over existing pads. LINK 20ga shouldn't kick bad enough that you would need to replace or supplement the factory pad but I'd let you decide. Note that they will increase LOP by an inch or so...

Welcome Aboard!

Welcome aboard and congrats on your first shotgun.

Here's a good video to watch before you get started...

Rob Haught illustrating the "Push/Pull" method

Using this shooting method will greatly reduce felt recoil and help keep fatigue to a minimum. It really does make a HUGE difference and will eliminate the need for anything other than the factory recoil pad...

Here's the sizes for Limbsavers...

Small
1" thick L.O.P.
4 - 1/2” X 1 - 1/2”
Up to: 4 13/16” X 1 - 5/8”

Medium
1" thick L.O.P.
4 - 13/16” X 1 - 5/8”
Up to: 5 - 1/8” X 1 - 3/4”

Large
1" thick L.O.P.
5 - 1/8” X 1 - 3/4”
Up to: 5 - 3/8” X 1 - 7/8”

Small/
Medium
1/2" thick L.O.P.
4 - 5/8” X 1 - 9/16”
Up to: 5 - 1/8” X 1 - 3/4”

Welcome from MI!!

I haven't put anything on it yet. I picked up a Limbsaver but haven't done anything just yet. For those interested, I will keep you posted.

Dave

Back