• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

First Shotgun For Hunting+HD

NikW

.22LR
Hey everyone.

I own several firearms, rifles, handguns, and such, but I want to buy a (pump) shotgun. Just the rack of the slide, the look, it is all appealing.

I am looking for a do all shotgun. Range Use (most definitely), HD (possibly), and Hunting (possibly). Looking to stay 12g

I have been researching for about a day or so on different makes and models, as well as what chokes to use on shotguns.I think what I want is a smooth bore shotgun that can take a choke (probably improved cylinder for 00buck/Number1 Shot/Rifled Slugs). I'd prefer something that I can put a peep sight on (I'm more used to rifle style sighting, bead sights really dont tickle my fancy).

I live in NH so shooting beyond 100 yards for a deer isn't probable

So what I really narrowed it down to was a Maverick 88, Mossberg 500, Remington 870, and Mossberg 590(a1).

While I really like the features of the 590a1, I don't like the cost of having to thread it for chokes (those college loans are piling up right now).

I'd prefer to buy a gun with just one barrel right now (once again, the $$$). Is there a 1 size fits all for barrels? Could I use a 20" for hunting deer?

Used guns are generally fine for me but I prefer to buy from a local shop.

The 500 is appealing to me right now. I can put a picatinny rail on it and I've been reading online that it is (easy*) to change the front bead with some locking pliers??

Am I looking in the right direction?
-NW

EDIT:
I am begining to look at this on mossberg's website: http://www.mossberg.com/product/500-combos-54169/
Are both of those bores cylinder/smooth?
Also, what is an accu-set choke? Is that a IC, M, F set?
Also, the chamber is listed at 3 (inches?), but the shell size says 2.75 (2 3/4)?

I do like the idea of having both barrels if the cost isn't TOO high.
(I was hoping to stay under $300, $325-50 at the max. I know a couple of firearm dealers personally so I can generally get a good price though.

Last edited:
Hi! I'll try and work through this and will answer all I'm able.

With shotguns there is no one size fits all as far as I've seen. A 20" barrel can be used for deer hunting so long as its legal in your area.

I too prefer the 500/590/835 pump shotguns too. The bead is easy to change with just about any pliers. This will dovetail into some of your other comments; if you purchase a gun with a vent rib, there are fiber optic sight options that are more similar to rifle sights and possibly even peep sight. Mossberg even sells a set on their site. It's the same I have on my 835 which I like very much and they're adjustable as well.

I haven't clicked the yet but some of the combo deals are a security (18-1/2" barrel) and field barrel of whatever length, possibly with chokes. Other set are a field barrel and rifled barrel but that should be clearly stated. The rifled barrel is also sometimes fitted with a cantilevered scope base that extends over the receiver. I'll check the link in a moment.

Also, the accu set, should be listed. I'll look at that too.

If its chambered 3" it will also chamber 2-3/4".

Let me see what I can find.

So that combo is the security and field barrel. Both are smooth bore barrels. I could only guess as to the chokes but I'd say your guess sound good.

Did I miss anything?

So that combo is the security and field barrel. Both are smooth bore barrels. I could only guess as to the chokes but I'd say your guess sound good.

Did I miss anything?

Thanks for the reply!

From that link, does it look like it will be both a 2-3/4 + 3 inch chamber?? It says 3 for the chamber but 2-3/4 for the shell size, slightly confusing!

Do you have any recommendations on sights that I could use?

I'd be inclined to put a picatinny rail on the receiver but I'm open to options that don't require any serious amount of gunsmithing

Model #54169 is the Field/Security combo that you can probably find for around $350 or so. The field barrel is threaded for Accu Chokes. I think this will lend it self well to a very wide variety of shooting situations. Good for skeet, hunting birds/small game and Home defense. And you can always pick up extra barrels for different applications down the road.

I like a good set of sights, but I honestly feel that with a bit of practice and training a good old bead sight can be very effective!

http://www.mossberg.com/product/500-combos-54169/

A 3 inch chamber will accept both 2-3/4 and 3 inch shells with no issues.

Most shotgun shells are 2-3/4 inch, but you can buy specialty shells that are 3", and even 3-1/2 for goose hunting, but you wouldn't be able to use the 3-1/2's in it.

You have narrowed the field quite well. The Mav 88/Mossberg 500 is going to be your best low cost multi use gun, followed closely by the 870. The 870 is priced a bit higher than the 500 but has a lot more hunting choked, sized barrels available to it than the 590.

The 590 is an awesome gun but it just does not have as many "hunting" options readily available out of the box as the 500 as it accepts a different style barrel. If you replace the magazine tube with that of a 500A you can use ANY 500A barrel with it. Mossberg was really thinking outside the box when they made their design that allows swapping of parts (within a given gauge). I have a Mossberg 835 and I use Mossberg 500 slug barrels on it. :D

If you can find a good deal on a Mossbeg 500 combo which includes a field and a deer barrel, you will have most cost effective multi use starter set you can get.

You really can't go wrong with any of the options, it' sjust a matter of what you want out of the box.

I have guns that will shoot up to 3.5" shells but quite honestly there is nothing I hunt that I could not be just as effective with using 2.75" shells, the only difference is a little more shot downrange (nice for turkey and waterfowl hunting) and a LOT more recoil.

If you've got your heart set on sights that are more like rifle sights, these are OFM vent rib adjustable fiber optics available through Havlin Sales.

https://www.havlinsales.com/access.htm

image.jpg

There are a number of aftermarket options similar to this. Our forum sponsor OR3Gun makes a vent rib adapter that allows using any Glock cut sights.

I have found with nothing but a bead sight on my favorite 500, I can consistently hit an 8" metal gong at 100 yards with slugs.
Try it before you put on a scope.
I do understand for shooting deer a scope is a great idea.

Back