• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

First shotgun- Mossberg 590a1

Just bought my first shotgun (Mossberg 590a1), last week. Going to be taking a long barrel safety class of course. I'm about 5'-10", around 180ish, but I'm also left eye dominant, but right handed.
I believe they call this "cross dominant". I watched a couple youtube clips on it, looks like it has alot of recoil. Mine only came with a standard stock. For having to hold this in my left arm, what recoil dampering system would you guys recommend? I would like really feel comfortable and safe with it.
Any information will help out this newbie. Thanks

Welcome aboard!

I've got a 590 with the Blackhawk SpecOps recoil reduction system and a 590a1 with a Hogue short LOP stock. Both have their advantages in reducing recoil and offering added control over the weapon. I actually prefer the standard style stock with the 12" LOP to the adjustable recoil stock. The ability to tuck the weapon into the pocket of your shoulder and apply the appropriate directional pressure will make all the difference in the world in mitigating recoil. Take a look at this video featuring the push-pull method...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq74aiXn1b4[/youtube]

Take a look around and let us know if you have any questions...

Welcome to the forum. I can't add anything to the already mentioned excellent advice.

Welcome to the site. My only advise is to put some rounds through it and then you will have a better feel for what you will want/need to make it better for you.

Back