• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

First shots impressions -

ricky_bobby

.270 WIN
Finally got a few boxes through it - here are my thoughts - full disclaimer I am not a skeet or clay shooter, or a competition SG shooter, just a train for defense type of scenario -

Using Fiocchi 1150 fps 9 pellet 00 buck, I put 3 boxes through the Shockwave - is it a big sample size of 30 rounds? Nope, but here you go

-Maybe it was the load, but it was very manageable even on my short armed, 5'7" frame, I actually thought it shot soft, even without a stock or a brace
(I train with what I want to keep in the gun which is usually some type of LE buckshot whether low recoil or otherwise, I don't need to punish myself with super hot 3" magnums etc, realistically I'd rather shoot better and want to train with loads that don't punish me, on a Shockwave or regular stocked 12ga) - I could have put a few more through if I wanted, some guys say they are begging to put it down because of the 'punishment' of shooting but I didnt think so.

-Using push/pull technique, I was actually surprised that the birdshead grip was as steady for how smooth it feels with no stippling - will be even more solid when I get checkered wood furniture on it - the guys one YT smacking themselves are using too hot of ammunition, have poor holding technique (watch Clint Smith's video or Demonstrated Concepts), or something else

-I was debating a brace but honestly its such a good backpack/SHTF gun as is and its more shootable than I thought

-Will take some training to get on target accurately each time, but at a 5y distance I would do a modified drill of double shot combos for home defense training (shoot, rack, shoot, sweep to assess threat, etc) I would have the 2 shots in a man size hole, had a couple fliers, once I adjusted my technique though (firmer hold through support arm) my second shot was more accurate

All in all I'm happy with it as is, is it my main defense gun for the home? Nope - I have about 5 AR's, and a couple pistols, and a regular 590 with Magpul stock that I'd probably grab first - but like I said, for what it is, the weapon works well, and is great to throw in a backpack or bag in the truck, woods gun, something to throw in a tractor on the farm, motorcyle etc -

I wouldn't mind bracing it at all and respect the guys that do - I'm sure it makes the weapon more accurate and fun to shoot - I didn't buy it for fun to shoot though - and I always have an issue with the Mossberg safety and pistol grip / AR setups on them -

I honestly wouldn't mind getting another one and doing a Form 1 to make an SBS - that would be best of both worlds -

Take my .02 for what it is, this is just me rambling after my first session with it -

Sounds great.

My recommendation - wait til you have about 500 rounds through the gun and have mastered aimed shooting before deciding on a brace. The bridshead grip is well thought out to channel recoil through your forearm.

Hip shooting is also effective once you've got a feel of the point of impact. I've seen many new shooters typically impacting shot high and to the left intially.

Good shooting!

Regards

^Thanks man - yeah my 'fliers' were low and right but then again, I'm a left handed shooter and I have read many reports of the shooting high portion so I was trying in my dry fire practice, to intentionally bring my shoulder up, so I guess I need to train to bring it down slightly -

After my shooting, I agree, I won't brace the weapon - I have AR pistols that are braced - if anything I'd buy another one and do a Form 1 to make an SBS (much less wait time than waiting for a factory SBS stamp to clear) - the weapon as is with the birds head grip is functional for what its intended to be - I was always more concerned about the slippage in the hand because of the polymer grip but the strap on the forend really helps, and if you push on the forend while slightly pulling on the grip the firearm goes up instead of back - and now that I've shot in person, these people who are sliding and smacking themselves in the face need to adjust how they hold the weapon (hold it like a 'man' I'm not even a big guy), and keep their cheek on the side, not behind. Thumb rides in line with safety, not hand gripped around the whole weapon (avoiding smacking yourself)

Honestly, Shockwave would do awesome with one of those laser training aiming modules that they advertise on the radio and are gaining in popularity -

All in all I'm happy with it as is, is it my main defense gun for the home? Nope - I have about 5 AR's, and a couple pistols, and a regular 590 with Magpul stock that I'd probably grab first - but like I said, for what it is, the weapon works well, and is great to throw in a backpack or bag in the truck, woods gun, something to throw in a tractor on the farm, motorcyle etc -

Take my .02 for what it is, this is just me rambling after my first session with it -

Great post. Thanks!

If you have any hand slippage using the birdshead grip, especially in the rain, wrapping it with grip tape like used on tennis rackets and hockey sticks works wonders.

Regards

download.jpeg

Exactly - Actually what I am doing when they are back in stock is getting the checkered wood furniture for it - and there is a company doing leather goods that does a leather "bandage wrap" around the middle of the grip for extra purchase and grip on it which I am going to get done - And they are going to make me a wrist loop/strap instead of the lanyard/tassel so it will actually be functional - I just have to wait for more Black Aces furniture to come back in stock -

Back