• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Fishing Rumors

CaddmannQ

Will TIG for Food
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Rumor had it that the Department of Fish and game had planted a bunch of trout, 20 to 22 inch rainbows, at the local lake.
It was a gorgeous day at the lake and the normally brown dry hills were still covered in spring wild flowers and greenery.
09ADE7EE-514E-460E-9E5A-5FC96815D6CF.jpeg

We did not see any large fish, but we did pull in three rainbow trout, and there were 3 that escaped our gear, because the hooks were too small. This is the best picture of the day but unfortunately the smallest trout. My fishing buddy Bob:
FA477F12-9458-4BDD-99FF-30ED1106AECA.jpeg
We were trolling with various cable rigs and multiple spinners. I usually Top that with a 30 inch leader and a Shoff’s Triple Teaser. Shoff’s was bought by Worden’s, which is owned by Yakima Bait now. Those gold Shoff’s lures are probably 45+ years old and I haven’t polished them in a while.
image.jpg
I convinced myself to try a Mack’s Double Whammy which drew two nice fish. I also tried their light trolling gear and it definitely attracts the trout.
image.jpg

Looks like a spotted bass. Or smallmouth. I was told by an old salt up in MN that the smallmouth Bass is the male of the species.:gimme5:

One of those trout was wild & the other two were planters, and you couldn’t COULD really taste the difference. Unfortunately Bob tossed the bass back or I would’ve eaten that as well.

I fear no trout, but I wouldn’t stick my finger in a Pike. Steel leader required!

Last edited:
One of those trout was wild & the other two were planters, and you couldn’t really taste the difference. Unfortunately Bob tossed the bass back or I would’ve eaten that as well.

I fear no trout, but I wouldn’t stick my finger in a Pike. Steel leader required!
I have caught many Northerns and Walleye in MN and they are toothy critters. Luckily I haven't had an accident with one...yet. I have had some good sized catfish lacerate my thumb a couple times. I bought one of those lip grippers to eliminate that problem. Have fun fishin...and good luck.

Curses on the iPhone dictation program!

I could absolutely taste the difference between the wild trout and the planters, and you could see the difference when you cut them open. The wild are much pinker inside.

Back