• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Floating Barrel Problem

Gary Murray

.270 WIN
I have a Mossberg 338 Win Mag 4x4 with a floating barrel. However the barrel is touching one side of the forearm on my synthetic stock. Will this affect accuracy? It's only touching by a quarter inch or so. I ran some sandpaper down the barrel like we would do with a dollar bill and sanded it a little until there was no longer any resistance.

Ya it's something that could affect accuracy. It shouldn't touch the stock, other than the is a pressure point at the end of the forearm directly underneath the barrel. I agree with sanding the stock a little so it doesn't push the barel left or right depending on which side it's touching.

If your shots are printing in a line instead of printing roughly in a circle, then it is possible you have a problem with forend pressure, as the barrel warms and expands pressure between a high point on the forend will create a pressure point and that will shift bullet impact.

The cure is to check the action screws to make sure the action is propery secured to the stock and then if you are using a scope make sure it is not loose and not broken internally.

If that all checks out first try free floating and if that doesn't work then bedding the action and chamber area of the barrel and lastly if all else fails, bed the action and barrel. Usually free floating works the best...

Back