• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Follower, aluminum or Delrin?

Joe Rand

.22LR
Or don’t bother. Was thinking of swapping out the follower on my Mossberg. Would like the ability to see if the gun is empty a little easier, among other things. I do have a preference for delrin guitar picks, FWIW. Do the materials make that big a difference, or just pick one?

Last edited:
... funny you should ask.

I just replaced the magazine spring
in my Shockwave with a "Wolff" spring.

... and replaced my follower with a Delrin
follower from "Go Gauge" (non LED model).

I have no clue whether this will make any
real difference in a situation.

What I do know is that when I press the follower
in with my thumb, and feel a silky smooth action
with no wobble, and no screechy metal on metal noise,
I personally feel that it was money well spent.

///////////////

Or don’t bother. Was thinking of swapping out the follower on my Mossberg 590a1. Would like the ability to see if the gun is empty a little easier, among other things. I do have a preference for delrin guitar picks, FWIW. Do the materials make that big a difference, or just pick one?

I have the S&J Hardware +1 on my 18" 590 (7+1 with 2.75" shells with extension) and it came with their bright green delrin follower and I'm super pleased with the quiet and smooth action, so much so that I plan on getting one for my old school 500 with the mag tube that needs pliers to loosen up.

TBH I've never noticed a difference between materials or designs in folowers in a std shotgun. Some seem to work better than other if you have an extenstion but that can be negated somewhat by buying a quality extension that has a smooth transition.

The plastic follower in my 870 was still fine after over 10K rounds. The alum ones in my mossbergs are still fine after many 100's of rounds.

Just pick what you like and try it.

I prefer metal followers.

Some will agree, and others will disagree.

I'm just old fashioned and like metal parts in my gun. Nothing more to it than that.

I bought the Go-Gauge lighted. I first installed with the spring keeper installed. With a full magazine tube, it put the spring in a bind. I removed the keeper and just put the mag cap back on. It worked flawlessly at that point.

Dog

Back