• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

For The Ladies Of Mossberg Owners!

Would you like to see, or is there enough call for a "Ladies Of MO" section?

• Yes

Votes: 16 51.6%
  • No

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Maybe when we have more of the femalez!

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Sure, it may even attract more of the femalez!

Votes: 10 32.3%

• Total voters
Howdy Lanceandcory and welcome to the club. We'd love to hear more from ya...

Welcome to MO! Can't do it without you and we're happy to have you here so post away!

Where would you like to go with this?

I have a very important question. Hopefully for the ladies only.

My wife is on the border about firearms. She definitely wants to have one in the house for protection, however, she's a little (LIKE MAJORLY) against carrying a gun or even purchasing one for herself. She's dabbled in the idea every once in a long while, but still a "no-go." Any ladies here have insight on this?

By the way, she's from LA (helps me cope with understanding her).

My wife was the same way for a while.

It took a home invasion in our neighborhood when I was away on business and she quickly opened up to the idea of owning and training with her own firearm. Before that there was really nothing I could say or do, no matter how rational, that would sway her. She just had to come around on her own time. Generally speaking, the more exposure someone has to firearms the more comfortable they become. Just keep at it, but like anything else it's gotta be her choice...

Webster82 said:
I have a very important question. Hopefully for the ladies only.

My wife is on the border about firearms. She definitely wants to have one in the house for protection, however, she's a little (LIKE MAJORLY) against carrying a gun or even purchasing one for herself. She's dabbled in the idea every once in a long while, but still a "no-go." Any ladies here have insight on this?

By the way, she's from LA (helps me cope with understanding her).

I had to sign up to this forum because of this thread, so hi!

Ok this is how my husband got me into guns. With a few things we learned along the way.
First off point out that even if your there with your gun to protect her and the kids, what would she do if you and some bad guy got into a wrestling mach and the gun goes sliding across the floor? Would she be able to pick it up and shoot it? Accurately? Would she know if the safety’s off? Or would she hesitate and cry like the stupid girl in all those action movies? She needs to at least know how your guns work if they are in the house.

Next discussion, bring up where do predators go if they are looking for woman or children? They go where women are with out men….The mall, grocery stores, and the play ground…these are in my mind the most dangerous places I go with out my husband; I need to know how to defend myself and our children.

This talk is not meant to use scare tactics. It’s so you can tell her you love her and that you worry about her safety when you’re not with her. That you would feel so much better if you could go off to work knowing that she has the tools to defend herself.

After all that…. drop it, let her think about it. From talking with my friends I’ve found that most people with no way to defend themselves are blind to danger. If you can get her to notice her vulnerabilities she’ll be more willing to learn about guns. Over the next few weeks she may start to look around the grocery store parking lot or the deserted play ground and realize that she can’t necessarily stop someone who may want to harm her or the kids.

Then get some reading material to help her weigh the good, the bad, and the responsibilities of gun ownership. The book that got me is called “Thank God I had a Gun”. It’s true stories about gun related events including the thought process of the victim that chose to defend themselves, as well as the legal ramifications of there actions. The book has women gun owners but doesn’t harp on the girls with guns thing. It does however force you to put yourself in the scenarios and think “what would I do in that situation?” You can also find stories online.

With all that you can at least get your wife to concede that she needs to know how your guns work. At home take an unloaded gun and show her all the buttons and let her play with it, demystify it “it’s just a chunk of metal “. At that point if all is going well, tell her she needs to know how it feels when she shoots. She doesn’t need to be worried about the sound of the bang in a self defense situation…..Range trip!

First go to the range during off peak hours. There’s nothing more intimidating than thinking you’re being ogled/ laughed at by a large group of testosterone while you’re trying to learn how to shoot. Make sure to tell her to ware a shirt with an impossibly high neck line. Those pesky shells always seem to find there way down your cleavage. Especially .22 calibers and they are still hot enough to burn a little.

Once there start off with a small caliber gun. Keep in mind hand size, avoid guns with double stack mag’s and heavy trigger pull ect. Then have her watch you shoot so she knows what to expect. Then sweetly ASK her if she wants to try. If you push to hard she will push back. She may want to watch for a while and let her self process, be patient. If there is a girl at the range shooting ask her to help. Every girl I’ve come across at the range is eager to help other girls involved in shooting. After my first range trip I was hooked even though I got slide bite after about an hour of shooting. So lesson learned don’t let you’re guard down after she gets rockin and rollin.

I didn’t like long guns for a while until my husband put a mossberg 500 with a pistol grip in my hand. If a butt stock isn’t positioned just right it can really hurt your boobs. But with the pistol grip I didn’t have to worry about it. I’m still waiting for my husband to buy me a marinekote version because a plain black one won’t do. I have plenty of hand guns and a mossy is the only long gun I want. I am a girl and I don’t like boring black guns, I have a great collection of hand guns in varying calibers and I carry a .45 daily. You can find pretty guns in large calibers you just have to look hard.

Hope this helps. Sorry for the long post, this question doesn’t have a short answer. Let me Know if you have any questions about concealed carry girl gear or guns- I’ve tried a lot

-Mandy

I tried to post an answer to webster 82, but my not so computer savy skills landed the response under topics so check it out there. Because i dont know how to move it here. LOL what a great way to introduce my self, oh well. By the way I got my screen name because my husband calls me that due to the fact that i allways take his mossberg from him at the range.

Re: Re: For The Ladies Of Mossberg Owners!

Welcome aboard Mandy, I moved your post for you.

Thank you for taking the time to put this post together. I'm sure plenty of folks here will benefit from your experience and point of view. We've got a great group of folks here on Mossberg Owners and the atmosphere is very laid back. The only thing we like better than discussing each other's guns is lookin at 'em, so be sure to post pics of your collection in the various sub-forums. I'm a bit of a handgun enthusiast myself, and there is a dedicated handgun sub-forum in our "Other Weapons" section. You'll find that we're into a lot more than just Mossberg around here. Let us know if you have any questions.

Enjoy the site!

- L.E.S.

Howdy Mandy and welcome to the club!
Holy cow that's a great post! Thank you for that informative look into how to...from a woman...for a woman. I'm going to try that with my wife. She's not a big gun girl. But she likes shootin my Marlin Glenfield model 60 22lr.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM1OIMPCCD0[/youtube]

Welcome to Mossberg Owners Forum!

Good post Mandy, good havin you here, Welcome to MO!

Glad you found this post and glad you took the time to be helpful, that what we're all about! As much diversity as we have, that's the binding factor. Nicely done!

As LES mentioned, we're into all sorts of stuff, handguns, long guns, facial hair, bad advice and misguided but otherwise good intentions. Jump in anywhere...

My wife isn't to bad about havin guns around. I just can't leave em in the living room then put them on the kitchen table when she says to put them away then on the bed and back to the table.

I recently had my 590A1 out and asked if she was clear on how to load the gun should she need it. She said "they go in the hole there." I asked which hole. "The one on the side". Then what? "Slide the thingy forward then put more in the hole thingy on the bottom".

Close enough for me.

MossyMistress,

You're a real asset to your family's security! Good job. Thanks for posting.

Thingy...that must be a technical term.
Lol

Again I know this is an old post but my good lady has no problem with Firearms in general but my shotguns are for sporting use ! no such thing as personal carry or HD ..only recently she started to shoot my 835 from the hip using xtra light load shells ie:21 gram #9 shot she is only 8 stone and short now she won't hit long range targets shooting like this but it gets her some idea of loading and firing a heavy long gun :cool:

Sent from my U9200 using Tapatalk

Back