• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Found a good mount for my M-88

Husker88

.270 WIN
Elite Member
I saw these from Defender Tactical and decided to take a chance on one for the Maverick 88. Deciding on a light will take a little more time....although they have some interesting ones on the website. Disclaimer: no financial or other relationship with this vendor - I just liked their stuff.

Husker, your built has come along very well over the past few months and looks great. Just a couple of thoughts for consideration regarding a new weapons light.

Typically on shotgun there are two different types of activation switch choices. One with a tail cap and the other with a lever. See illustrations of each below.

It's really a matter of choice and both can work well if mounted correctly. In fact, I have a 500 with a tail cap light and a Shockwave with a lever light.

On a tail cap light you just want to make sure it has a momentarily on function and you can easily reach it with your thumb without chaning your forend grip when mounted.

On a lever light make sure the lever is easliy activated with your thumb and in the right direction when mounted. There are a couple of these lights on the market that work well on pistols but when mounted on shotguns the lever action is backwards for most folks. Your natural movement of your thumb to activate the momentarily on function is a push inward toward the barrel.

Regards

28debf95-3a93-4cec-abd1-5b8d77a8e1d7.jpgtlr-1-hl_black-new.jpg

Merry Christmas and many thanks for the info. I figured lights for a shotgun would be different & I'm grateful for your description of the two above. I have a Streamlight Protrac rail mount on my Extar EP-9, and it has a nifty [us old guys still say 'nifty' :) ] remote paddle type switch that I was able to stick on the hand guard so that I can hit it with my finger - a quick on/off with a tap or full on with a full click. That won't work on the forend grip of the Maverick.

I've stepped right into the most common newbie trap - thinking that each new piece or add-on will be the last. ;) I'll probably buy a light locally so that I can examine each one to get a feel for which might work best for me. Thanks again.

You wrote: I've stepped right into the most common newbie trap - thinking that each new piece or add-on will be the last.

It's not just a newbie thing. Most of us are open to trying different things and more importantly learning, from others, little tidbits of what works in certain situations and what doesn't. And you won't be the first nor the last who tries something out and down the road finds it doesn't work or finds a replacement that works better!

But that's the fun part of building and continuing to modify a weapon yourself and experimenting with different things including ammo.

Right now I'm testing a 18.5 inch threaded barrel on my 500 which accepts screw in chokes. Once I've patterned several combinations of chokes and ammo types I'll likely write a short review.

And being real oldtimer I certainly know what "nifty" means and have used the term for decades!

Recommendation: When you go to look at lights take the mount you just bought and mount the different light on it and see how it works with the light. Even better if a local shop will allow you to bring in your shotgun to try it out.

Regards

Back