• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Freedom Munitions 9mm ammunition warning

That really sucks & im glad you did not get injured.....I have had a few really bad rounds that wont fire etc but have shot approx 1500 rounds of .40 & .45 and have another 1000 or so in my stock pile. Some of my trigger, spring etc worked firearms wont even shoot FM....its not bad for the price IMO

Ordered from FM and only received half my order. Seems like a shipping error on their part. Got on the horn this morning and the CS lady says she's going to ship my second half asap. We shall see how quickly this occurs.

Same thing happened to me.

I ordered 2k rounds, I got 1k.

Must be a recurring theme and they must be used to those type of phone calls apparently to not even question their shipping Dept. anymore.

First time it happened and I've ordered from them a bunch of times. I just sent them a few pics of the boxes and they said ok we will ship out the missing rounds.

Definitely put a bah humbug in my mood

I know that it's been a long time since the topic was updated, but I wanted to add this information that I found on another forum today because freedom munitions is still using this crap internally stepped case and there are more recent topics concerning kabooms.

http://www.xdtalk.com/threads/9mm-detenation.344305/#post-5971249

and

http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=85963.0

found this info out here, and they also have a lot of photographs:

https://forum.cartridgecollectors.org/t/new-headstamps-from-freedom-munitions/15778

Freedom Munitions is a retail outlet for the sale of commercial ammunition. They, along with a number of related company were owned by Howell Machine in Lewiston ID. In 2013 Howell Munitions and Technology was formed took over the set of companies which included:

Ammo Load Worldwide-loading machines including case manufacturer machines. Been in business for 35 years and sell widely to loading companies

Freedom Munitions-Commercial ammo sales

X-Treme Bullets (previously West Coast Bullets)-plated bullet manufacture. Been around for almost 25 years.

Howell Machine-Supplier of custom equipment to ammo industry since 1989

Ammo Components-Sells new brass, processed brass, bullets, primers and powder

Twin Rivers Loading Company-Sells custom contract loading services

All these companies except X-treme Bullet are located in Lewiston, however it appears that Freedom Munitions is, or was, a Limited Liability Company (LLC) registered in Houston Texas.

Originally the company over all of these was to be named International Munitions and Technology and this is where the IMT code originated. Before the new name was registered, but after brass with the IMT code was produced, they decided to change the name to Howell Munitions and Technology.

There are also cases marked AmmoLoad which were sold by Freedom Ammo before the IMT cases. There is now a new code being used, FM for Freedom Munitions.

The brass with both AmmoLoad and @IMT@ has reportedly been sold to other companies who have loaded and sold it. I have a box of ammo by LAX with the @IMT@ headstamp.

Recently another Freedom Munitions headstamp showed up with just the IMT but without the @ type symbols. These were from a reloader out west who found the following fired cases at a range, only one of which had the @ symbol. The cases were likely reloaded since they included both brass and nickel primers. As you can see in the blowup of the headstamps, there is no indication of the @ type symbols on the headstamps. I suspect that they are early headstamps, or even development cases that found there way to a reloader.

It is interesting that an earlier headstamp used by Freedom Munitions (AMMOLOAD) also shows up on the website of the Anatolia Cartridges Co Ltd, on brass washed steel cases. The normal headstamp of this company is MECA. Sorry for the poor quality of the image below, but I just checked the website at http://www.anatoliafisek.com and the website still illustrates the steel AMMOLOAD headstamps in both 9mm and 40S&W.

Anatolia%20Flyer-2-sml_zpsqzdnsfi9.jpg

I'm glad this came up again. I knew I had seen it before but when I searched for it couldn't find it.

I've been thinking about ordering some rifle rounds and don't know if some of these issues extend to those lines too so I'll be reading through this to see what I can find.

I'm glad this came up again. I knew I had seen it before but when I searched for it couldn't find it.

I've been thinking about ordering some rifle rounds and don't know if some of these issues extend to those lines too so I'll be reading through this to see what I can find.
I don't believe it pertained to rifle rounds, And IIRC, it's only they're "new" ammo that uses their branded brass. The reman is of course, other manufactures cases, just reloaded. I'm not partial to Freedom, but I've not had any issues with their reloads.

I don't know this to be gospel because I have seriously distanced myself from this stuff and avoid it like the plague, but far as I know, the step/ledge only pertains to 9mm and 45acp.

I also found it curious that the ammoload headstamp was in use in Turkey too.

I have also heard reports that there is another stepped case 9mm linked to Syria.

Second time viewing this thread...first time was 2014.

Only bought from this "manufacturer" once ( 2016 )...when they sent me an email saying first shipment for new members was Free...

Bought the Leadville .44 Magnum 200 grain Lead Cast RNFP New...@ .55 cents per round on sale...it was like $27.50 a box...cheaper than any .44 Mag I could find anywhere.

{ https://www.freedommunitions.com/ammunition/44-mag-200gr-xb-lead-cast-rnfp-new.html }

Bought 250 rounds and used it once...firing 50 rounds in my Ruger Super Blackhawk...and it worked just fine.

Still have the 200...good groups down range at 25 yards...no problems I can report.

Thanks for the heads up...again... John.

So have any of these stepped cases, come apart or caused other problems in reloading?

I haven't taken 1 apart yet, it appears these step cases are made from two pieces instead of one solid piece.

I don't think it's a problem where it's reinforcing the wall but in my mind this means that the base is two pieces and not solid.

But that's just in my mind I won't know until I cut one up.

I only have a handful of these stepped cases so it won't bother me to toss them out if they are dangerous in any way.

I have prepped and primed about 175 good cases, which I intend to reload soon.

They're not 2 pieces. Or at least they don't start out that way.

Toss the stepped cases. If you load them with the good cases, there will be a reduced case capacity, which will cause excessive pressures if you drop the same amount of powder as you would with ordinary brass.

Take my word for it, these are not worth the time to throw back down on the ground. They're scrap. Garbage.

They should be OK I guess.

But at least 2 of their pistol calibers are stepped, so you really need to be careful and not mix those in with what you're going to be reloading.

I have enough brass to just toss them.
No loss.

Also, I'm not going to load the whole batch of 170 at once. I will do maybe 8 or 10 for the first round of testing.

Those "stepped" cases are not two pieces? I would try to break a few apart to verify that! I could see cutting off stretched/cracked brass and pressing on cheap tubing.

This is new to me (as I am new to the forum) but holy smokes.

Tom

No, they're not two pieces.

They're formed that way.

Welcome to the forum.

Back