• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

front sight pin protruding into barrel

TheRev.

Copper BB
I noticed the front sight pin on my 500 is poking into the bore of my 18.5 cylinder bore barrel. Is that bad? I can just feel it with my finger and its no more than a 1/32 but is this affecting accuracy? Its the brass front pin sight and it looks like i can just back out the pin, has anyone ever experienced this?

I have a 590a1 and not a 500 but make sure that bead/sight isn't screwed in before you start messing around. Maybe you can tell from the manual diagrams, or get the part number and check that out to tell for sure. On my 2 mossberg barrels, things are screwed in. And yes, if it protrudes into the barrel, it will impact the shotcup/wad and it can certainly affect the patterning of the shot.

Rev, I've heard of this most commonly with after market beads. I personally have never experienced this with a couple different beads. My 590A1 wont allow the bead to protrude into the muzzle.

I have heard said the bead can be removed and carefully filed down then refit, and repeat as needed, but as I mentioned I've not ever had to do this.

I've seen this. It occurs when a sight needs to be replaced or it was stripped out for some reason.
It is next to impossible to drill a blind hole and tap, so it is just drilled thru and tapped. Take it out and file it down carefully or put a small washer under it and reinstall. If you have a burr on the inside of the bbl dress it with some crocus cloth (very fine emery cloth). It will be fine.

Back