• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Garand Comps

Water Monkey

The man, the myth, the monkey
Supporter
OK here's the situation… I'm looking to get another Garand and tailoring it towards a competition rifle. I'm trying to figure out what competitions allow what modifications and it's spinning my head.

So here's what I'm looking to do:

Krieger match barrel
NM sights
Trigger job
Gas cylinder mod
possible glass bedding
possible laminated stock

2016 time frame of purchase and mods to be made.

I know of the JC Garand matches and CMP matches. Are there also NRA matches?

I'd research more but I'm dealing with a screaming baby figured I'd ask you experts if you can categorize what my mods will disqualify me at which events.

Not sure about the competitions mods but you should be able to find what you need on CMP website.

or in the rules: http://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads/CMPGamesRules.pdf

Also, CMP is having a sale right now on firearms. Got an email from them this week.

All IHC M1 Garands are limited to one per customer. We will begin accepting orders March 11th. Any orders received prior to this date will not be accepted. The quantities available of the Garands listed below are limited and will be sold to qualified purchasers "first come first serve" with no preferential treatment. A small quantity will be offered in the stores with the majority going to mail order customers. The M1s are no exchange due to severely limited quantities available. The XM855 is limited in our inventory and probably the last we will ever see or be allowed to offer.
RM1IHCS- M1 Garand IHC Service Grade. Only part guaranteed to be IHC is the receiver. Some other parts could be IHC but not guaranteed. Please see M1 Service Grade description on website.
$960.00
- Free Shipping except AK, HI, PR.
RM1IHCF- M1 Garand IHC Field Grade. Only part guaranteed to be IHC is the receiver. Some other parts could be IHC but not guaranteed. Please see M1 Field Grade description on website.
$810.00 - Free Shipping except AK, HI, PR.
RM1IHCSLMR- M1 Garand IHC Service Grade with IHC receiver and LMR barrel. Some other parts could be IHC but not guaranteed. Please see M1 Service Grade description on website.
$1010.00 - Free Shipping except AK, HI, PR.
RM1IHCFLMR- M1 Garand IHC Field Grade with IHC receiver and LMR barrel. Some other parts could be IHC but not guaranteed. Please see M1 Field Grade description on website.
$960.00 - Free Shipping except AK, HI, PR.
RM1IHCSGAP4- M1 Service Grade IHC with 4 million Gap Letter IHC receiver and LMR barrel. Some other parts could be IHC but not guaranteed.
$1110.00 - Free Shipping except AK, HI, PR.
RM1DSPECIAL- M1D Garand Service Grade Springfield. Reparked SA receiver with new 1952-1953 dated M1D barrel. Reparked parts. New Walnut stock/handguards. Reproduction HI-LUX optics M82 scope and reproduction M82 mount.
$2000.00 - Free Shipping except AK, HI, PR.

I'm getting a lot of info on the CMP forum. Basically... I qualify for all events except the JC garand matches. If I get a laminated stock and the total firearm goes over 10.5 pounds then I'm out of the CMP Unlimited division as well.

A little update.... going to purchase another Garand by the end of this year. Still debating on the mods of adding NM sights but I'll definitely get a trigger job and some other mods to make it more accurate locally. Debating on a DGR semi-fancy stock as well.

I'm trying to figure out what competitions allow what modifications and it's spinning my head.

OK you want more clarification:

Found a guy locally that does Garands and can keep the trigger job in spec for various comps

Laminated stock would push me out of many classes due to overall weight

DGR stocks are within comp regs and are absolutely beautiful

Krieger barrels for my shooting aren't worth it. Overall accuracy of both barrels out to 200 yards is practically identical and proven with master shooters who shot both barrels and got similar results. I'm not going to be a ninja with these rifles and will save the scratch for more ammo.

NM sights I'm still debating. But I can compete in CMP comps with my other garand I'm just using for general shooting and local comps.

Glass bedding doesn't seem worth it at the moment. But unitizing the front end might be something to look into.

Bueno?

Resurrection.... mailed my ppwk to CMP. Probably get the new Garand by May/June as they are backed up on orders from IHC and the M1 Carbine sales.

26455565256_4923713710_z.jpg

Picked her up yesterday. Receiver dated Feb 1942 - CMP Special.

Project may be on hold as I'm trying to budget funds to fix my OU shotgun because some dickbag local "master gun fitter" blew out my stock and handed me a used field stock in a feeble attempt to make things right.

Back