• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Getting burned sucks

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
It's not fun.

It hurts.

And totally unnecessary.

You also can't just put your gun with a smoking hot barrel or suppressor right into your gun bag either. It'll melt common polyesters and nylon often used in bags like butter.

So, I start looking around for mirage covers. Most are more than $50-$65 and some over $100. I'm not judging them for trying to make as much money as they can, but that's just crazy for what they are.

So, I went to the dollar store, found two cheap pot holders for about $3 each, and some 1 inch webbing and some paracord for the brown one and some zip ties for my black one and sat down for about 15 minutes in front of a sewing machine. Let's be realistic, that's all that it needs to be.

jt and holli 005.JPG

jt and holli 006.JPG

jt and holli 029.JPG

And the black one on the scorpion

jt and holli 015.JPG

I expect a lot less ouchies now.

Nicely done sir. i like it when people have a brain and can make their own stuff.

Thanks guys.

For an honest or fair price, I would've bought one. I admit it. I'm terrible with a sewing machine. I hate fooling with them. I hate trying to thread needles and bobbins and everything that goes along with them. I feel stupid asking for help trying to figure out how in the world to get the thread from the top of the machine down to the needle. You move the thread down this groove and hook it around and that little hook and bring it up to that little piece and then .....................

WTF???

Really??

Why?

Stupid machine !!!!

AAARRRGH !!!!!!

The pot holder may be an inferior material than the $130 ones at griffon industries, or even the $69 at silencerco and ebay for that matter. Unsure if the pot holder has nomex or aramid, cotton filling or asbestos or what's in there? I have no idea. But I do know that I can get a pizza out of the oven that's been in there about for 17 minutes at 400 degrees and not burn my fingers off like the nazi villain who melted at the end of Raiders of the lost Ark, so the pot holder should do fine for what I'm going to use it for.

Long as it stops accidental contact burns after I'm done shooting, and if it helps cut down on the wavey effect of heat coming off the highway in the desert, I'll be content with the dollar store pot holder can cover.

This is genius, I love this post!

I'm not shooting semiauto, but we started getting some heat mirage coming off the barrel of my Savage visible through the scope yesterday and I was trying to figure out how to counter that. It wasn't a huge deal and not enough to warrant spending crazy money on the fancy ones you mentioned but if I can do a dollar store clone or even a hobby lobby clone of what you have there, I'm in!

Nice work!

nitesite, In all fairness and honesty, my wife can use a pair of scissors like a ninja uses a butterfly knife. It is truly something to behold seeing it. I thought she was good before she got the titanium cutters, but dang, those things really upped her game considerably.

It really does make one wonder what the "tactical" stuff is so expensive.

Thanks guys.

I appreciate the comments and compliments.

MikeD, I suspect the tactical stuff costs as much as it does is because someone is paying that much for them.

I dunno, they probably use nomex and other more expensive materials that work better. Maybe I expect too much from a dollar store pot holder. But it has to be an improvement. Those things can get hot in a hurry.

I think the wire ties on the black one will let go before the pot holder burns. They don't hold up to excess heat too well. Use a lot of them at work.

I think they'll hold pretty good for a while. If not, I think I have a black shoe lace that would work.

That should work just fine too.

So far, that's what I'm using on the rifle. I expect that it'll hold up pretty good.

But I think the zip ties will probably hold up for a while too.

All that tactical stuff costs a lot because it's all low production.

For things to be reasonably priced you gotta sell millions of them.

But this is a low cost approach, it's easy & it works. I always like it when human Ingenuity overcomes the barriers of cost.

In engineering that's always the constant battle. If you can throw enough money at something it doesn't have to be well engineered in advance.

Kind of the opposite approach that politicians take. They throw billions at a problem & expect it to fix itself, in spite of the fact that this lind of poor thinking caused it in the first place.

I went to shoot a few of the Lehigh max expansion bullets that I loaded last weekend through the blackout trying to get ready for upcoming rifle/deer season, and while I didn't shoot a lot of them because I was mainly checking performance (velocity, groups, and how they sound) the pot holder worked just fine.

edit:

I've used the covers extensively on both the blackout and the 9mm cans since I put these together last year, but I didn't want to necro the topic so I am editing this post instead.

I've shot a lot more 9mm with it than I have blackout, and in quick succession. Some full auto with my M10/9. The outside of the pot holder has gotten warm to the touch, but nowhere near enough to get burned and no hotter than nice feeling hand warmers.

Back