• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

GG&G 930 Magazine follower Review

SoCal Choppas

.270 WIN
Not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but it is specific to the 930; mods please move thread if needed.

This is my initial review of the GG&G Magazine follower:

This is what I received in the package direct from GG&G:

IMG_4622.JPG

IMG_4628.JPG

They included 3 vinyl stickers with the order, you gotta love a company with a sense of HUMOR :lol:
IMG_4623.jpg

The follower is a 3 piece design, Stainless steel main body, with a red anodized aluminum insert; held together with a stainless compression ring. The insert is tight and looks to be secure with no worry of separation.
IMG_4625.jpg

IMG_4626.JPG

Side by side comparison to the current factory version that came on my 930 SPX
The GG&G follower's insert is the same diameter as the factory follower's nub. While the nub on the factory is taller and beveled more, which I thought will help with guiding the loading of shot shells; it wasn't the case. I swapped back and forth the followers and the GG&G was definitely more smoother in loading the initial shot shell. The GG&G stainless body is longer, but it's a cup design and a fully compressed magazine spring will still extend out of the body of the follower. With regard to capacity issues, none so far; same capacities as with the factory follower.

IMG_4649.jpg

IMG_4650.jpg

Installed in the SPX. Looks great to me, but the color of the red anodizing is useless; it's too dark in real world applications. It would be better if they use a more brighter color, other then Brass or Silver aluminum that would match a shot shell. By feel, this is where it works in low/no light conditions; you will definitely know you have an empty mag. No need to flip the 930 or open the breach to confirm a round in the mag, just slip your thumb up the loading port and you can feel the face of the GG&G on an empty mag. The factory follower is flat enough to feel like a shot shell.

IMG_4633.jpg

IMG_4642.JPG

IMG_4643.JPG

So far, I like it (Pre-Sending any rounds down range).
It's very well made and seams to function smoother then the factory one; especially in loading the initial round in the magazine. It weighs more then the factory one and I will have to see if this an issue later. GG&G currently sells it for $25.00 which is on the higher end of the price of other followers, but there is more work involved to make this high quality one.

Thats a nice looking follower. Looks like GG&G realy put some thought into the design. Thanks for the review and let us know how it works for you at the range.

Nice write up, looks like a good follower. I had problems on occasion with my stock follower. It would get stuck when trying to load the gun. Yes it only happened once in a while but thats too much. I ended up getting th S&J hardwear 2nd gen follower. It addresses the visibility concern you have with the GG&G.
http://sjhardware.com/store/modules.php ... cts_id=347
So far it seems to be good.

Tactical wise, I don't think the visibility of the follower is an issue; since you shouldn't take your eyes off your targets or surrounding area. If your looking anyways, you'll definitely see a loaded shell or not. With this follower, you can tell by feel and not have to look away from your primary focus or change the orientation of the shotgun.

Combatvet said:
I think I'm going to ditch my Nordic Components follower and pick this one up.

I wasn't too fond of the Nordic one either, for a hunting or sporting shotgun it's fine; for a tactical or home defense shotgun I think the GG&G one fits the purpose.

After practicing speed loading, I noticed the follower would hang up some where in the mag tube and consistently lose 2 rounds, this would also happen with the factory follower too from checking my videos of me shooting before receiving/installing the GG&G follower.

So I took off the Mag Ext. Tube and Spring, loaded 5 shells in from the loading port with the follower to see where the follower would end up. It seams there is a step transition between the Mag Tube and Choate mag Extension. While it doesn't happen all the time, it happens enough..maybe 3 out of 5 times. While it might smooth out over time, I'm not going to wait.

Seeing that it would be a pain to try to smooth out the transition between the mag tube and extension, and I also didn't want to mess up the factory finish on the mag extension; I decided to modify the follower and put a more aggressive chamfer on the outside edge. I then polished the chamfer up after with sand paper and steel wool, I also did the inside edge just in case.

I used my Mega Dollar Home Lathe...Cordless Drill, de-burring tool, Nut/Bolt/Washers to hold the follower:

IMG_4662.jpg

This is how it look from GG&G, the outside edge is rounded:

Before.jpg

This is after my home lathe job, with a more aggressive chamfer

IMG_4651.jpg

IMG_4660.jpg

So far..no more HANG UP'S !!!! :D

I informed GG&G of what I did, hopefully they will modify all future followers.
Since I don't plan to use the factory follower, I won't do anything to it.

This hang up probably won't happen to shotguns without a mag extension tube, so the mod won't be needed

Good thinking! That chamfer looks good, as if it should have been made that way. I may have missed it, but did you also have to give the same treatment to the front of the follower as well?

+2 pionts for the DIY tip.

Thanks NCLawman!

I didn't chamfer the insert side of the follower, didn't feel a need to yet. Still haven't sent any rounds yet down range..stay tune..hopefully the weather clears up on Sunday. I'll make a Mag dump video, with a couple of reloads of birdshot :D

Back