• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Go Gauge follower

95jza80tt

.270 WIN
Have you guys seen this yet? It is a pretty intuitive design and idea for low light situations. For those that say the light would give away your position.. You just let off a full tube of at least 6rds or more before that light came on. I think the cat is out of the bag at that point already LOL. I know the video uses a rem870 for the example but the follower fits mossbergs as well.

http://www.gogaugetactical.com/Go-Gauge-Light-p/ggt-l-f-r-12g.htm

If you need the light to add the first round, how are you going to find where to put the second round when the light is out? It just another gimmick to me.

I still think there is some merit to it. In a stressful situation you want to make things as simple as possible and this helps to dummy proof the operation a little bit. You go to squeeze the trigger and click no bang. You turn it over and immediately see a dim glow coming from the mag tube. You now know for certain your gun went dry and that it is not jammed up, or malfunctioning. You go to load shells. As soon as you get the first in and the light goes dark you should already have a reference for the loading position and motion. Yeah it may seem gimmicky and this is by no means a necessity, but if it is a feature that doesn't hurt anything and may seem even a bit helpful, then why not?

You make a valid case for the lit follower, however, I choose the
https://www.gggaz.com/mossberg-590-shotgun-follower.html
I can tell if the magazine is empty by feel, and it is a definite upgrade in quality.
That's for dang sure. I think most of the aftermarket offerings are better then the factory smooth black follower. Don't get me wrong even the factory one gets the job done, but it lacks the tactile feel to immediately tell you that you're empty. I personally have a ebay aluminum anodized orange one that has the tactile feel as well and orange to make it a little more visible. I doubt I would change mine again to this since I already paid for an aftermarket one, but if I hadn't already had one I may have considered this one.

I read somewhere that the hole in the follower keeps equal air pressure inside and outside the tube. Supposedly the factory follower gets stuck sometimes due to an air pressure difference.....does that seem possible?

I read somewhere that the hole in the follower keeps equal air pressure inside and outside the tube. Supposedly the factory follower gets stuck sometimes due to an air pressure difference.....does that seem possible?

Nope, that ain't a thing. Spring force is waaaay stronger than ambient air pressure. Solid debris in the mag tube like dirt or pieces of a cracked shell? Sure, that'll cause feeding problems. Air? No way.

If the follower blocking airflow were a problem that could stop a gun from feeding shells, it would have been a show-stopping fault. And the tube-fed pump action shotgun would have never become the commercial success that it has been for the last 60+ years.

Whoever said that originally is looking for justification for the accessory. A solution to a problem that doesn't exist, in my opinion.

Reminds me of the debates about Glock maritime spring cups and plasma spark plugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey DP. Thanks for your clarification.
Let's not forget the Split Fire spark plug.

I saw your post about the safety screw in the other thread. I bought a box of 100 while inside a Fastenal distribution center. It was cheaper for a box of 100 than it was to buy a single screw online and pay for shipping.

I'd be happy to drop one in the mail to you. I bought the correct length. No need to dremel.

You'll need a 1/16" Allen wrench to install.

PM me your mailing address if you want one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Uh uh. I know what you're thinking. 'Did he fire six shots or only five?' Well to tell you the truth in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself."

This is one of those tacticool things that add to some people's confidence while adding nothing to the overall functionality of the firearm.

In a firefight the last thing I am going to do is flip my gun over and look for a light indicating I'm empty. You feed the beast at every opportunity and when it goes click you feed it some more.

Tacticool, yes, required, no.

What are the chances of actually getting into a firefight and needing it, and do you actually train with it? Until it's committed to muscle memory it's useless. If you have actually engaged a combatant to the point of unloading that many rounds you're adrenaline will be so high you won't even see colors. Let alone take time to glance down to see if you're empty. By that point you may as well use the firearm as a club.

I just saw this post & frankly I think people should just practice loading with their eyes closed until they can do it in the dark without screwing up.

You should be able to clear a jam with your eyes closed as well.

My new shotgun holds five and I hope I never get in a situation where I have to keep track of them and reload in a panic. My old shotgun holds two and there's a trigger for each round, so there's no screwing that up.

I still think there is some merit . . . if it is a feature that doesn't hurt anything and may seem even a bit helpful, then why not?

My typical thought is that a gun should not have unnecessary parts. They add weight, they add complexity, they add reliability questions & they add maintenance. Electrical items are 10x less reliable than solid mechanical systems.

If anyone finds it necessary to have a light in order to reload their gun, I want to advise them to practice more.

At the end of the day even if this thing completely failed it would still function the same way any follower would. As stated before, this is deff not something anyone NEEDS but merely a feature that can be an amenity to some. Is it something for everyone?, of course not. Seriously speaking though what's the harm in it? I'm not in need of such a thing and not gonna spend extra money on it since I already have a nice follower that I personally like. Have been able to function my gun perfectly fine without it but thought it was a novel idea for some that may like it. I guess the adage of if it ain't broke then don't fix it more then applies here.

95jza....if it weren't for you I wouldn't know about the illuminated follower. Thanks. One of the best features of gun forums, is letting other gun owners see what is new in the industry. I get a real hoot out of seeing new gun items. It is a part of the American way.....Imagination, Ingenuity and Initiative. Some readers may like the idea of the illuminated follower and never spoke out. You will never know, but don't hesitate to present new innovations. As for me, I am always looking at new ideas....otherwise I wouldn't have bought the Shockwave! Thanks again for the excellent review.

Last edited:
I'm going to leave a few more thoughts on this thread because I found it very interesting.

One thing I do not want is for my gun to light up in the dark of night as soon as I run out of ammo! I become a target & I can't shoot back!

The second thing I don't want is to get in the habit of using a crutch I don't need. Particularly something as temporary as batteries. I've pulled thirty-year-old bullets out of the closet and shot them. That's reliability. I had a battery go dead on a device and I believe it was because I accidently pressed the off button 4 times instead of 3, and it came back on after I had put it away.

Now you can look at this situation and say, "Oh well, it would be operator error." And that would be true. The thing is, I am sure that every single one of us is left some device turned on in his lifetime and run the batteries down. People get distracted, they get upset, they get forgetful, they fumble, and good guns are designed on purpose to help you avoid all of these problems.

Just close your eyes and load your gun three or four times and you'll figure out that this light is totally un-needed. If you can't load your gun with your eyes closed I would suggest that you practice until you can.

All that being said there are lots of things on lots of guns that are totally unnecessary and put there by owners who just like them, and for no other reason.

Being that this is America, I don't have a single problem with that. You fix your gun up any way you like. Please don't feel insulted or embarrassed if I tell you that it's not my cup of tea.

I'm going to leave a few more thoughts on this thread because I found it very interesting.

One thing I do not want is for my gun to light up in the dark of night as soon as I run out of ammo! I become a target & I can't shoot back!

The second thing I don't want is to get in the habit of using a crutch I don't need. Particularly something as temporary as batteries. I've pulled thirty-year-old bullets out of the closet and shot them. That's reliability. I had a battery go dead on a device and I believe it was because I accidently pressed the off button 4 times instead of 3, and it came back on after I had put it away.

Now you can look at this situation and say, "Oh well, it would be operator error." And that would be true. The thing is, I am sure that every single one of us is left some device turned on in his lifetime and run the batteries down. People get distracted, they get upset, they get forgetful, they fumble, and good guns are designed on purpose to help you avoid all of these problems.

Just close your eyes and load your gun three or four times and you'll figure out that this light is totally un-needed. If you can't load your gun with your eyes closed I would suggest that you practice until you can.

All that being said there are lots of things on lots of guns that are totally unnecessary and put there by owners who just like them, and for no other reason.

Being that this is America, I don't have a single problem with that. You fix your gun up any way you like. Please don't feel insulted or embarrassed if I tell you that it's not my cup of tea.

I agree with your outlook of this device and it being a crutch. For some ppl they may want or possibly even need such a thing and I wouldn't want to discourage it as a temporary use item. A product like this also has an operable life span due to batteries. With no on off switch and it being motion activated with a timer to shut off when not in use, the end user should be able to get a long run time with it. I would hope by the time those batteries went dead the user should be more than proficient to properly operate without such a thing. As far as feeling insulted or embarrassed by your comment. Admittedly I was a little bit at first but that's my problem and not yours. Your opinion is yours and we are all entitled to them. I think it only bothered me at first because I respect what you have to say and it also just reflected on my lack of experience as well. I'm no operator, LEO, or even a hunter at all, just your average urban guy that has an affinity for firearms. More importantly though whenever I see a new product like this I'd like to hear the opinions of all because they bring valid points to both sides of the fence and helps other would be prospective buyers/users in making a choice for themselves. I have no stake in such a product or even own one. I just brought it to attention because I thought it was a innovative aid that may possibly help someone else in their learning/use/build.

Back