• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Gobble gobble

Djcala

.30-06
Supporter
Like ive said, im not a turkey hunter but wife and son both are, openeing day success for son.
I may not hunt em but I know where to look for an.
Sorry in the excite jr didn't include shotty in,pic. It was a super dooper uber turkey special some call it an HR break open 16 bore, with one of them fancy 2 3/4 #6 high brass loads :lol:. He started collecting HR singles recently and really wanted to use the 16, it works. robb march23_Signature.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations.

Yes, the 16 works, as I'm sure he can attest to now.

If you can't kill it with a 16, you won't be killing it with anything else either. 1-1/8 oz of #6 high brass is 1-1/8 oz of #6 regardless of what is launching them.

I have a great fondness for the 16 gauge. @CaddmannQ does too.

Congratulations.

Yes, the 16 works, as I'm sure he can attest to now.

If you can't kill it with a 16, you won't be killing it with anything else either. 1-1/8 oz of #6 high brass is 1-1/8 oz of #6 regardless of what is launching them.

I have a great fondness for the 16 gauge. @CaddmannQ does too.
So right about that, I'm trying really hard to hammer home, the latest greatest can be awesome BUT not necessity, you can get it done with the stuff great grandpa had too. If ya want the newest Benelli and have the funds surely enjoy BUT sometimes old school sure is rewarding and very comfort foodish. I like and appreciate cutting edge new tech , especially weight saving hiking stuff etc, but i also appreciate old proven items tools and methods.

Yeah, my comments were directed more at those that buy into the newest camo every year, the newest shells, and basically buying into all the marketing hype at the big box store and on the hunting channel.

I remember many years ago about the time that I learned what the internet was, a guy went out in the woods with a camera, dressed in a full clown costume (wig, white face paint, frilly necklace thing, big red nose--the whole 9 yards.)

He tagged a deer too.

As you said, I'm not against trying anything new, but if you don't know how to hunt, the newest gadget isn't going to make you a hunter. It'll just make you broke quicker.

And being how the 16 bore is often called "obsolete", I'm proud of your son being able to prove otherwise.

I would feel very comfortable admitting that I have put more food on the ground with my old 16 gauge than I probably have everything else I own combined.

I still own several guns that I've never killed anything with besides paper and steel tangos to be honest. But, my props to your son. Well done indeed. That's actually a really big turkey from the last few that I have seen here.

Your spot on, I had a heckufava hunter tell me years ago that hunting products do,exactly as,designed to do, seperate hunters from theyre money, lol. Now my thermacell gadget that one IL fight ya for.
True story, very good friend who lives in midwest was invited to go on a pheasant hunt something on his list hed always wanted to do BUT he was actually going to decline to go, feeling he didnt have the "proper" gear. His shotgun is still his dads 1960s wonderful 870 wingmasrer , he said those guys all have nice O/u . I sent him a vest and told him shoot that 870 well make your daddy proud. Sometime the hunt culture can be arrogant and sad. He went got his birds had a,ball. I hate some wont try for fear of wrong stuff, just GO !!!!!

I promise that your odds of tagging an animal increase 100 fold when you are in the woods and not sitting on the couch.

Like my Daddy used to tell me, you'll never catch a fish when your line is not in the water son.

Back