• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Goodbye plastic furniture . . .

CaddmannQ

Will TIG for Food
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
I really got tired of the huge ungrippable plastic forearm on my Mossberg 500 breacher. I wanted a pistol grip but I decided I didn't like this style of grip very well, but wanted the more traditional coach gun Style.

Anyhow I bought this set of used boyd's furniture from Moe and it's so nice I'm afraid to take a saw to it.

20171008_103024_resized.jpg

Yeah, I wouldn't saw it up either. Way too nice for that.

I think basically the owner mounted up on his shotgun, didn't like it, and took it back off; cuz there's not a scratch on it.

It's not the fanciest grade of Walnut and it's a field finish, but this is a really solid stock & serms to fit OK. The grain looks very straight and there's no filler or anything that I can see.

I did have to straighten the bolt because this stock was installed on a different gun or something because looks like it bent when it was tightened up. Perhaps that gun has a Tang that's at a different angle or was tapped at a different angle?

Anyhow one good whack with a hammer on the anvil and the bolt went in just fine. The stock mounts up just perfectly though the length of pull with that thick pad is maybe half inch more than I would like.

So you may see me cutting it off here in the next few days if I decide after a test fire that I don't like the pull.

It might look a little funny at the skeet range with that breacher on the end of the barrel. Should it screw right off?

Oh very nice. And please dont ruin a really nice usuable shotgun with a darn pistol grip. Thats really nice cadd great way to class it up buddy. I bet that boyds will deliver a proper buttstroke too

This is a HD/coach gun. Its not for hunting. Strictly for self-defense.

So I really think I would like more of a parrotshead stock on it.

I can shoot mine just fine with the pistol grip on it but everybody else seems to think it's too punishing on the hand. My hand will survive five loads of 00 or 1.3oz slugs. No problem. After 25 rounds with the pistol grip my right hand will start to get a little sore, but it was always the grip of the left hand on that giant flashlight which was my bain.

Aiming the gun was difficult at any target past shoot-from-the-hip distance, but then for a self-defense gun, that's the whole idea to me.

I want to be able to pick that gun up in either hand, and aim & fire it at someone approaching. I can't do that with a full buttstock.

Either I cut this one off or I end up looking for yet another stock and cut that one. If there was a lot of burl wood and Flame in the wood, or if it was just super strong contrasting grain, I'd worry more about cutting it.

But it's not AA grade and it's not class,A finish. In the days before plastic this would be a field grade stock and I really don't have any qualms about cutting it up.

That being said, before I cut anything I am going to go out to the shotgun range and do a round of skeet with it just to see if I can manage to hit any damn thing. My eyes don't focus fast enough to be a decent wingshot.

But I really need to go pattern test both of my shotguns and I might do it tomorrow.

Can a regular shoulder stock not be held at low point and fired like it was pistol gripped?

Oops! they do show the big ugly hole. There were about four pictures I didn't look at.

Anyhow I'm trying to get an idea for something without the big ugly hole.

The stock needs to have a custom screw, which caps the grip, rather than being hidden by it.

Oh no . . . I made this project even more interesting for myself. :rolleyes:

That means I will end up interrupting long-term projects to do it.

You can make a plug for the hole. Either with rubber, like the chemistry beaker bottles? Or cork. Or...you could use red lock tite on the screw, and then epoxy the hole and put a medallion in it. Thats if you're sure you will never want to remove it again though....

The stock needs to have a custom screw, which caps the grip, rather than being hidden by it.

Ever see the fancy screws they have for 1911 grips? Be cool if you could find/make something that looks like the them....
Lemme find a pic....be right back...

I might machine something from the base of a big brass cartridge case.

Depends on how bored I get this winter. ;)

Back