• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Got a new gun cabinet

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Well, it's not new. But it's new to me.

My wife saw a 10 gun oak cabinet listed for sale locally for $60 and I couldn't resist.

The shelves in the bottom worked out great to store my powder and primer. I have my loading bench set up in the basement, and while it stays pretty dry down there, there is still less humidity in my den.

I know, pics or it didn't happen. I promise, it did. All 300 and something pounds of it.

asO0k7Q.jpg

Yeah, there was a bunch of other people wanting it, but I called dibs. As soon as my wife showed me the photo of it, I told her to tell him I wanted to come look at it today and I was interested.

As I was looking at the cabinet with the guy I bought it from, he said he had purchased it from one of the (higher end) furniture stores in town. He said he paid $600 for it when he bought it new.

When I mentioned earlier that it was an oak cabinet, it really is. No press-wood boards in it. And it's sturdy as it can be. Even when we were standing it up and leaning it on one side and walking it into place, there was no give or wiggle in the frame at all.

He said his wife just wanted it out of her way after he bought a metal safe for his guns.

Fine with me. I can do that.

I’m more than a lil jelly......love to have something traditional like that for display & organization.

Lucky you had the wall & floor space available for that bad boy!

Good find Mrs. John A!!

Thanks guys. I think it just fits right in my den.

I also have an oak curio cabinet that my Dad had built for my wifes Dad in there that matches perfectly, so that has a special meaning to both of us.

Many years ago, I used to have a small cabinet (I think it held 4 or 6 guns) that I kept in the corner of my bedroom. It had a really pretty deer running scene laser engraved in the glass, but being a walmart special, needless to say, it only had a few years of actual service life before it was wobbling around every time you opened or closed the door. The bottom drawer became nearly useless over time because the cabinet wasn't square anymore and eventually found a new home in a yard sale.

I think this one is going to be around a while.

It's pretty nice rip. Like I said, I don't regret getting it.

Here's some closeups of the hardware and joinery such.

cabinet and hardware 009.JPG

cabinet and hardware 003.JPG

cabinet and hardware 004.JPG

Only thing I really don't like is the bracing inside of the thick upper decorative crown .

The reinforcing brace sticks up about an 1/8 of an inch taller than the crown itself. I can overlook the fact that it's laminate to reinforce that section to save a buck from a manufacturing standpoint, and you can't really notice it being taller, but it's just not how I would've done it. That's really my only gripe and it's a minor one.

cabinet and hardware 010.JPG

Sweet, excellent find. I remember the days when people actually displayed their guns. Now my friends that have guns have to get them out of a safe, or out of hiding to show them to anyone. What's even worse is the fact if someone breaks into your home and steals them the libs want to blame you instead of the actual thief.

So true meanstreak. In fairness, with a glass front, is not what I would call a safe anyway.

But I would be quick to point out to cnn or ambulance chancing lawyer or whoever, that the criminal had already kicked the door in and Breaking and Entering is already a crime and had occurred prior to the burglary of the firearms. And not to mention lots of jewelry stores and pawn shops and big box stores also use the same type of locked display cases to show and sell their wares.

It's a locked case.

Back