• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Greenhouse for Veggies

nasa

.270 WIN
With all the toxins, ash and fallout, I'm building a green house. I have been acquiring shipping skids for V-16 Cummings engines and breaking them down for the timbers. So far I have 6 skids with plenty more coming and that should provide the materials for the flooring, support and beams for the roof. With a 40 foot storage container for the north wall and enough slope I shooting for a 20x40 foot to start. Should be able to feed several families and still have food for barter. It will have 4 sections for different growing climates. Less than 5 years here at the Kat Ranch and things go at too slow a pace when you leave for work and get home from work and it's dark all the time you are home except for the weekends. Food prices are just out of sight. Gotta do something about this quick.

I second what Fronty said. In deep south Texas it is way too hot for a covered green house. Even winters get up to 80 degrees. What I do on mine, is to leave the aluminum frame of the green house out year round without a cover. I put vertical string on the north side wall to allow climbing vines (usually green beans) to grow and shade the other plants. I keep the cover handy in case of a freeze. I have seen pics of some of those skid buildings (online). They look sturdy, and useful. Good luck and please post periodic pics as you develop. They will definitely inspire us. :)

the reason i ask is there are quite a few "greenhouses" in north east OK where its too rocky to grow traditionally, they are more for shade than normal green house use.
When you start talking greenhouses, I think more along the lines of Norway. 60 plus degrees north where you can get frost in July. been there, done that, might having the speeding ticket to prove it.

I have one of those double door plastic closet things I converted into a small growing cabinet to grow tea year round. I think the biggest thing (in warmer temperatures) is just keeping fresh, cool air flowing in and hot air out. A few fans mounted in the right spots powered by solar panels/batteries would be able to keep it going in almost any condition.

Sn3aKyGuY said:
I have one of those double door plastic closet things I converted into a small growing cabinet to grow tea year round. I think the biggest thing (in warmer temperatures) is just keeping fresh, cool air flowing in and hot air out. A few fans mounted in the right spots powered by solar panels/batteries would be able to keep it going in almost any condition.
grow cabinet.... tea.... uh huh... gotcha... :lol: ;) ;)

:lol: It's funny because that's always the response I get. I was working as a store manager for RadioShack when I was building this and one of my employees asked me why I was buying all these computer fans. I told him I was building a grow cabinet to grow tea for my wife and he just looked at me and shook his head. We've moved since then so right now it's just acting as a storage closet for all my boxed up electrical stuff, but I'll have to get some pictures of the setup when I get everything put back together.

If rocky terrain is a problem, I would consider putting raised beds inside the green house. They will guarantee you soft soil to grow plants in and working the soil will be easier on your back. You need at least 12 inches of good soil to grow plants. :)

Raised beds, thermostat control on vented panels and evaporative cooling for summer and propane heat for winter. Then it is down to square foot gardening.

Sent with my modified D2G running TapTalk.

Blackhawk 835 Ulti-Mag 12 gauge 10+1, quick point limbsaver and spec-ops recoil reducing stock with tri-rail, laser, light and bipod.

not sure where cat ranch is, but in the areas of texas ive been, if its rocky, you aint growing much more than sage grass.

Back