• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Grip Tape?

doctordun

Copper BB
Just got my new Shockwave and looking for some way to make the grip a bit better to hold onto.

What are you folks using or do you find a need to have a better grip?

I use Talon grips on several of my poly pistols and both my Shockwaves. I've had good luck with both durability and enhanced grip.

TDjWV9m.jpg

By the way, welcome to the Mossberg forum.

Best regards.

Stipling is rather permanent.

Preparedmind101 with all his chopping blades really likes Wilson Tennis Racquet wrap from Walmart. Cheap, local, and non permanent if you want to try something to give some improved feel.

First, welcome to our forum. Look around and you will find many things to do to your Shockwave. I second the Talon grip wrap. It comes in either textured rubber or a granulate surface. I have the rubber. For me, I think the granulate would be too aggressive on the hand in recoil. The wrap is easily removed if you want to. $17.99 each.

Talon now has the rubber for the Shockwave in black, grey and moss (COLORS!). The granulate is only black.

https://talongungrips.com/grips/shockwave/shockwave.html

https://talongungrips.com/blog/new-release/talon-grips-goes-grey/

I build custom skateboards, so I have a lot of grip tape lying around. Lots of different colors and Brands and grades and grits.

I would never put any of it on a gun.

The problem is with the glue. I've never seen one that didn't loosen when it got hot, and if the tape doesn't literally fall off, the glue collects dirt around all the edges.

Most of it's not at all resistant to solvents.

I've never done this on a gun but what I've been putting on my favorite skateboards is various poly/epoxy paint dusted with fine aquarium sand.

I assume they must sell something like this just for guns?

I had an idea to use some big electrical heat-shrink tubing on mine. My plan was to put an O-ring up close to the forward edge of the grip, then heat and shrink the tubing over that. I figure the o-ring will help keep my hand from sliding forward under recoil.

I have some heat-shrink that big, but it *barely* fits over the smaller end of the grip, and was a lot of work just getting it on; and there was no way I was going to get an O-ring under it.

I'll have to scratch around next week and see if I can find some just a bit bigger. Too big and it won't shrink tight though.

The Talon Grip Wrap is what I have on 6 firearms. Use the rubberized grip wrap and not the granulated grip wrap for the Shockwave. The granulated will tear up your hand with the 12ga recoil.

Very nicely done. What was your procedure? It sounds like you heated the grip to soften the polymer and then scrubbed the grip to get the textre.

Very nicely done. What was your procedure? It sounds like you heated the grip to soften the polymer and then scrubbed the grip to get the textre.

Thanks...I heated the grip till it looked shiny...then i dabbed (don't scrub or the plastic will smear) the copper pad until i got the look I wanted...I did it in sections...you can always go back over a spot if you don't like it...it's pretty easy....

Now that's easy! The texture looks very effective to hold a grip during recoil. Thanks for posting.

Back