• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Grip Tape?

Art;

Your grip looks great and very functional. The procedure sounds easy enough for even me to do. I think I will just buy another Shockwave grip and do your texturing procedure on it. Worse case if I really screw it up, I'll only be out 25 or 30 bucks. Thank you for the input.

Best regards.

Art;
That was my thinking exactly....

Your grip looks great and very functional. The procedure sounds easy enough for even me to do. I think I will just buy another Shockwave grip and do your texturing procedure on it. Worse case if I really screw it up, I'll only be out 25 or 30 bucks. Thank you for the input.

Best regards.

Thank you all for your replies. I'm trying the Hockey tape first since was real cheap on Ebay and figured if it worked on a hockey stick that is being beat up, perhaps it would work for a while on the grip.
Also it was easy to apply and will be easy to reapply when needed.

I took the heat shrink off and moved the o-ring up higher on the grip, then used the last bit of big shrink I had to set it in place. I trimmed around the trigger group and then added a second layer of softer shrink over the first (the darker color), extending back over the rear of the grip. It's asking a lot to get wrap that big to shrink down as narrow as the narrow part of the grip is and not split.

Still haven't shot it in this configuration but it's definitely more comfortable with the o-ring as far forward as I can get it.

SwaveGripNew.jpg

Well this all gives me a much better idea of what I'd like to do with my 500.

Clearly I don't want a smooth grip. I think it wants to have finger grips carved into it and a ridge over the thumb where you have placed an O-ring.

I think what I'm going to do is model one, full size, right on the gun, using Otay Fix-It stick (moldable plumbers epoxy putty) and my hand.

When I figure out what it really needs to be, I can carve one out of Walnut to match my putty model.

It's a very gangster way to do it. I bet a lot of guns wound up with friction tape on them.

I Love It....
I bought the fabric grip tape from Howie's Hockey Tape on the internet.
The stuff wraps great....no wrinkles, and stretches tight. It has a slight grippy texture, and it's cheap.

It always worked on hockey sticks. I’ve even wrapped a couple of my personal 4 lb hammers with it at work.

Back