• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Groups with rifled slugs at 100 yards?

Tom396

.30-06
I have a friend with a really nice 100 yard range. He claims that shotgun slugs are totally inaccurate. Granted, they will not group like one of his scoped rifles. I just want to shut him up about it. Do you think it is reasonable to expect consistent hits on a human sized target at 100 yards with just a bead sight on a 19 inch barrel Maverick (20 or 12 gauge)? Does it require premium quality slugs and a super human shooter (hickok45, etc.)? Take care. Tom Worthington

I think with a little practice an average person could meet your goal of consistent hits on a human with the criteria you noted.

It's not your criteria but I tried slugs at 50 and 100 yards after I switched from a bead to the ghost ring sights on an 18 1/2 long barrel. The paper target was close in size to a human torso. At 100 yards I had 6 of 8 on the paper although they were all over the place. At 50 yards it was much better. I didn't use a rest but did lean against a post for some stability.

grouping might be a stretch depending of the definition of group.......center mass hits all day mat 100. I can hit silhouettes at 200 with Lee Key Drive over Blue Dot loaded into low brass target hulls .........not grouping but all over the place hits, I even have a poor video of me hitting a 12" gong at 200 yards with cast Lee Key Drive

I would consider within a foot of center mass to be pretty great for what I am trying to accomplish. Take care. Tom Worthington

I would consider within a foot of center mass to be pretty great for what I am trying to accomplish. Take care. Tom Worthington
then you will be fine with Remington Sluggers and you wont have to try hard

Well Tom, I'm glad you posted this because I had intended to practice more with slugs but haven't at all this year. I think I'll get out some soon before the real winter rolls into PA.

If I want to tip the scales further in my favor, which rifled slugs give a little better accuracy? Federal TruBall? Brenneke? Take care. Tom Worthington

I have had better luck with the Federal TruBall than the Winchester. Have not shot enough of the Brenneke to compare. I was grouping the TruBall to within 4" at 50 yards with GRS on my 930SPX BW.

My H&R ultra slug hunter in 12g will do 2-3" groupings at 100 yards and about 5-6" at 200 yards. I just purchased a 24" rifled slug barrel for my 500 so I will have to see how that compares.

Success. Ha! I was hitting the target @100 yards with my 20 inch barrel Maverick 12 gauge and a bead sight. I was using the cheaper Federal slugs (not truball). The first few shots were way high. That surprised me. After adjusting, I was able to bang a steel girder section enough that it turned sideways. I told my friend that I was satisfied with my accuracy/results. He said that he would not want me shooting at him. :D Needless to say, I had a great day.

I was also able to ring a 4 inch steel target, with one of my 702 plinksters (@ 100 yards) using the factory iron sights. That was just icing on the cake. He said we could do it again in a couple of days. Next time, it will be one of my 20 gauges, and I am gonna see what I can do with my wax slugs (I am not expecting much).

Thanks for the insights (no pun intended). I do not think I have ever had some much fun at the range, just because of how badly he had bad mouthed shotgun slugs. Take care. Tom Worthington

Well that's a lot better than I was doing last week. I could hit a 2 foot square steel plate at 25 yards every time, from the hip, as fast as I could rack and Fire.

But I had a hard time hitting the same Target with a slug at 50 yards, sighted fire. I hit high and far to the left every time shooting 12 ga slugs. (I only had shot for the 16 gauge.)

This is true of both of my guns, but the side-by-side is sawed off & the Mossberg 500 is cylinder bore.

I'm sure I would do much better with a longer gun that had a choke.

But these are 18" self-defense scatterguns & they are not for real hunting.

I have a Benelli M-4 with an Aimpoint T-1. Using Winchester 2.75" one ounce Forster slugs. The 15 pack Walmart sells. I easily shoot 6" five round 100yard groups. I deer hunt with a shotgun. I have an 1960s Ithaca 37 Deerslayer using Remington 7/8 ounce Forster slugs I get consistent 3"groups at 100yards. My 52 year old eyes can not see the sights clearly so I don't hunt with the Ithaca anymore.

Back