• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Gun Refinishing

Some of you may know me, I am a amateur gunsmith (student really) and have restored/refinished dozens of firearms.

I currently have two Mossbergs on my bench, both .22 semi-autos

The first one I just finished, it is a Mossberg 380 model

These are the before pictures, I'll post the finished pics later with links to my blog

CfPB3Ltl.jpg

BVXpet9l.jpg

lEurzK1l.jpg

JyPGSTDl.jpg

The second one is a New Haven model 250C, again these are the before pictures

FWfDncSl.jpg

0EnXjBPl.jpg

MH4Rg8nl.jpg

4l9E1e8l.jpg

Feel free to post pics of the process. Always interested in seeing how people tackle projects like these. Many of us here have performed makeovers and restorations.

Yeah, you're going to be limited to sanding well into the pitted area. Only so many ways to remove rusty pits. Hopefully, the inside doesn't look as bad as the outside, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Looking forward to how they turn out.

Here is the refinishing on the Mossberg 380

The before pics are posted at the top of this thread

First step is disassembly

GJifPrzl.jpg

v626w3dl.jpg

Then we start sanding on the metal, starting with 100 grit cloth backed ebrasive

S0swpbil.jpg

This is a 220 grit finish, you can still see some pitting...sometimes the pits are hard to see until you get to the finer grits, then they stick out

mR88Q8Rl.jpg

The rear sight and bolt handle are cleaned up and ready for rebluing

ALqptQol.jpg

The take down screw needed some help

UBbSPoOl.jpg

a new ball peen hammer was used to pound the metal back down

fHXL8C9l.jpg

I then chucked it into a drill and using sand paper, made it look good again

sdbzhyIl.jpg

here are some of the parts after bluing

FyQ46J4l.jpg

before reassembly I repainted the ready fire indicator with Testors red enamel paint

txb8X9Cl.jpg

and finished

RMBASfNl.jpg

91JquWUl.jpg

HcLMpWFl.jpg
Very nice ! I love the restoration resurrection threads. One party foul though, love the blued pics BUT WHAT PROCESS ???? How are ya doin your bluing brother

I use the hot salts method, I normally work alone and when bluing I do several guns at once (more economical that way) and since I don't have a "dedicated" bluing area (I blue in my driveway) the weather and schedule have to cooperate. So when bluing I never get pictures, because I am running around like a one armed paper hanger (while wearing PPE no less).

Here is a write up of my bluing process

http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/2014/08/how-i-blue-guns.html

and my new two tank set-up

http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/2015/08/new-bluing-tanks.html

Yeah, I agree. It took a lot of time sanding and refinishing that. I don't know why many people neglect guns the way they do. But I'm glad that you refinished it. Should last a long time to come.

Outstanding work, Tiincan! I appreciate restorations and these look fantastic! Surprised the outcome was as nice as this with as much rust and pitting as you had to deal with. Do you use a traditional buffer in prepping your metal before bluing?

Thanks guys, to answer the question above, I don't usually use a buffer, I sand to 600 or sometimes 1200 grit and then use Crocus cloth to even out the sanding marks

Back