• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Had My First FTE With My New 930 SPX

usmc1963

It was with reduced recoil Fiocchi 00 buck 1150 fps. Of the 10 shells in the box 3 did not eject. When it malfunctioned the hull was half way out of the chamber and a new shell was out of the magazine jamed under the spent shell. To clear I just had to pull back on the bolt handle to complete the cycle. I have about 200 trouble free rounds through my 930, all were over 1200 fps. After another 100 rounds I may try them again. Not to concerned because in my other shotguns for home defense I always use 00 buck that have no less that 1345 fps

Sounds like just not enough gas to cycle fully. There are some parts that will help correct that. Also with lowered velocity rounds any bit of dirt that hinders cycleing will have an increased effect, i.e the dirtier the gun the more chance of these rounds not cycling.

Also the thinner metal they are using in some hulls expand more than others and cause extraction issues. Simply changing ammo may help if this is the case.

Thank you, this old Marine has a habit of keeping all my firearms as clean as possible. It must be the manufactur of the shells. I use a couple of different shells for home defense, Remington, Winchester and Federal all are over 1300 fps. Never had an issue in fact never had a malfunction until trying the Fiocchi reduced recoil. I'll stay with what works. Thank you again.

Reduced recoil, most often means reduced power.

The powder burns quickly and thus builds pressure quickly and peaks. This causes the gas system to very often be "starved" and a weak cycling.

I wouldn't necessarily blame the manufacturer of the shells, but more that specific load. You'd probably find that the full power (normal) defensive loads would probably work fine in your gun.

Just curious, have you ever fired any Fiocchi reduced recoil slugs in your SPX?

I've never shot their 00 Buckshot, but mine feeds the reduced recoil slugs ok. it's a 2015 SPX.

Bought some of the same ammo. My JM pro has never had an issue until I fired that stuff. Anything 1200 and over It doesn't have any issues at all. I don't buy anything low recoil for a semiauto shotgun.

To add to my last post.. I did a little expirament with Fiocci low recoil 00 buck ammo ( 1150fps.). Fired whole box (25 RDS) Then fired a whole box of Estate 00 (1325fps.) The low recoil stuff made the gun cycle in a lazy fashion. You can actually feel it. Then I tried the estate 00 (1325fpr.) Cycled like a well oiled machine..

The Fiocchi 1150 fps slugs fire fine in my SPX and FN SLP 24" Comp

The Fiocchi 1150 fps 00 buckshot is very weak in my SPX and FN SLP

The Herters 1200 fps 00 buckshot runs just fine in both

My SPX was iffy with 1150fps or below. I don't care for low recoil anything ammo but I wanted to learn what works and doesn't. After I got the marine spacer tube from or3gun my SPX can shoot the whimpy 1150 fps stuff. My benellie M2 that cost 3x what the SPX cost doesn't like 1150 crap also. It is not a gun issue just leave the low recoil shells to the pump guns. On the positive side you can always practice malfunction clearing with the slow stuff.

I have a marine spacer tube and had one malfunction with the 1150 crap. Your spot on about staying away from low recoil stuff.

I agree, was just trying the low recoil stuff to see how low I could go. My 930SPX is for home defense so I use nothing lower than the standard 00 buck, 1325fps.

With gas shotguns (and an assumption of quality hulls) it typically comes down to power factor, which is velocity X load weight. With shorter barreled models like the SPX, dwell time (calculated by the length of pressurized barrel in front of the gas ports) is also important. With power factor being equal, a heavy load will typically cycle better than the faster load. The low recoil Fiocchi 1 oz slugs tend to cycle better in a factory SPX than the slightly faster 7/8 oz slugs because the gas pulse of the slower load is slightly longer in duration. Of course, you can tune around whatever load you want to run, but keeping the power factor and dwell time in mind will make finding similar functioning loads easier. Long story short, a faster load isn't always better in a short barreled gun. Make sure it is as heavy in payload as well.

William

http://www.OR3GUN.com

If the listed velocities are the same, the actual dwell time will be roughly the same. The difference will be in how much pressure is generated to get each load moving the same speed. If the weight AND velocity is the same, the dwell time should be the same.

If you don't have all of the information on the load we can work backwards from what we have. We know that 9 pellets of 00 buck weighs 484 grains. 21 pellets of #4 buck weighs 434 grains. If the listed velocities are the same, there is less power in the #4 buck load. If they list a DRAM Equivalent, but no velocity, the #4 buck will be moving faster because the load is lighter, resulting in less dwell time compared to the 00 buck.

A higher power factor will usually do a better job of cycling the gun, but if you have two loads with the same power factor, the one providing pressure for the longest duration usually gets the job done better on a short barreled gun. While the gas ports are larger on shorter barrels, it can't fully make up for there being such a short duration of pressure at the ports.

William

http://www.OR3GUN.com

Probably more than 500. Closer to 1000 rnds. I bought it as a used gun. Not very old when I bought it I think. I sent it back to Mossberg once and they replaced the gas system components. I'm looking at your spacer, follower, stock retainer kit for it. I also have trouble getting more than 5 shell into the mag at times. I clean the gas system frequently, I haven't checked the recoil system.

Back