• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Half way there...

I think I'll go with the Boiled Linseed Oil, that is what I did with my Lee-Enfield Rifles. It is easy, I have it on hand, if it has worked for the British Army...well then a Mossberg Shotgun that will spend 99% of it's life in a cabinet will be fine. Really...I do like the way it looks.
I'll strip the light varnish off the fore-end and see how the colours match. If I need help in person, I do have friends that are good with woodwork.
I ended up ordering a 1 1/4" Sling Swivel from Numrich, along with the replacement for the broken buttplate screw. I've installed one before, I can do it again. The first actually turned out alright!! LOL
More to follow I'm sure.
Mark

and this guy takes you in depth a lil more than Larry does...but it's uncut so it's a half hour long....

pretty simple job though. Just make sure you have the correct drill bits....and you should be good to go.

How did you end up getting the broken screw out? Mine is broken off almost flush with the wood. The one solution I can think of, involves removing just enough wood to get a grip on the screw with pliers, etc. Then there would be enough wood remaining deeper that the new screw could grip. Hope that made sense?

I think you are on the right track, here. I have a hollow, tubular drill bit designed just for this purpose--to remove some material to get at the screw better or to completely drill around it. Then a bung (piece of wood dowel) would glued into the hole when done.

Alternately, using a small bit and not too deep, drill around the screw until you can get a pair of needle-nose vise-grips on it and carefully unscrew it out. Sounds like the location is "hidden" so you could glue a dowel into the hole when done, then re-drill for the screw.

A sling swivel is easy to install. I'm sure you can do it without much carnage...
;)

Attachments

• boney.jpg
    boney.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 310.010_hollow-mill_for_removal_of_drill-bits.jpg
    310.010_hollow-mill_for_removal_of_drill-bits.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 4
I'll get a needle-nosed vise-grip pliers and go that route, if that does not work... Then I'll find another way. I need to get a Needle-nose vise-grip pliers first, so looks like I go shopping tomorrow.
Mark

I ended up going with a "satin" finish varnish. Got the first coat on the stock, will do a second coat soon as the first dries a bit. Then I will give the fore-end a coat just so they match. Got a friend that will help me with the broken screw and sling swivel once they get here. Then maybe I'll post a photo.
Mark

You'll have to go slow when first starting the bit in the wood as it will want to wander off everywhere....

This is what it looks like. I still need to get the buttplate screw taken out, but need to borrow tool/get help with. But I got the sling swivel in (far from perfect, given what I had to work with) and the new butt stock on. An inch shorter than the original, but I think I can deal with it.

Check out the hybrid M-16A2 Sling Black Webbing with hardware salvaged from a rotted out canvas M-1 Sling...LOL. Might swap that out for a regular Black M-16A2 Sling, or a complete Olive Drab Canvas M-1 Sling. Then again, odds are this will not get hauled around a lot... Not that it really matters LOL.
To me it looks something like seen in news films from 1960's "Civil Unrest".

Now I need to find a place to shoot at LOL!
Mark

Last edited:
Cool beans.....sling looks a lil tight though.

Back