• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

hammer extender broke

Hello,

am i screwed if the threads for the hammer extender on my 464 spx broke off where you screw it into the hammer?

any way to get out the broken threads?

cheers

I've had a couple Beretta grip screws break off at or under the surface, so I know how bad that sucks.

Don't have a 464 so I'm not sure what size screw you're dealing with, but there are back-out drill bits and screw extractors that'll pull the broken screw out. If it's not really small, check out the Grabit tool...

http://www.amazon.com/Alden-8430P-G...ags-on-product/B000H6PM32?tag=viglink20733-20

Good luck get'n it out of there and keep us posted...

It may be less expensive and fuss just to buy a new hammer extension. They're usually not very expensive. Less than a ten dollar bill usually unless you have to have one that's very specialized.

I own a Carlson that I added to a little Rossi youth combo, but I had to do extensive shortening of it to get it to fit and clear the barrel release lever, and I recently bought an uncle mikes for a NEF breakdown that fit straight out of the box.

Don't forget, you could probably buy one directly from Mossberg as well if you can't find a universal type somewhere.

Personally, I like hammer extensions. I'd put them on all my breakdown single shots regardless of whether they have a scope or not if I could.

But the threads are stuck inside where i screw the extension into the hammer

It may be less expensive and fuss just to buy a new hammer extension. They're usually not very expensive. Less than a ten dollar bill usually unless you have to have one that's very specialized.

I own a Carlson that I added to a little Rossi youth combo, but I had to do extensive shortening of it to get it to fit and clear the barrel release lever, and I recently bought an uncle mikes for a NEF breakdown that fit straight out of the box.

Don't forget, you could probably buy one directly from Mossberg as well if you can't find a universal type somewhere.

Personally, I like hammer extensions. I'd put them on all my breakdown single shots regardless of whether they have a scope or not if I could.

I'm not entirely sure how the 464 is set up, but most aftermarket hammer extensions have a screw inside the hammer extension that tighten against the hammer like a set screw.

On the ones that I have added, I tend to tighten the set screw way down (thus making a mark in the hammer) and then I drill a small hole in the side of the hammer where the mark is so the set screw will recess in the hammer, and then I tighten everything down and use threadlocker.

Just throwing that option out there, otherwise you're going to have to remove the broken screw somehow by getting out the broken portion of it, or drill it out and re-tap it, or go the aftermarket route that I suggested.

Or contact mossberg about maybe sending it back if it's under warranty.

But there are only so many ways around it.

Back