• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Handgun Recommendations and Advice...

Re: Recommendations for a .45 pistol?

The .45 that I'm taking a real close look at is the FN-FNP .45, it comes with 2 dbl stack 15 rnd mags and 1 14 rnd mag for about $700.00 and 300.00 more they offer a tactical model with a threaded barrel that has raised front and rear sights to accomdate a rds and see over the silencer if installed.

Ben, I'm a huge fan of a traditional 1911! Lots of good guns out there!

I also like the FN FNP you mentioned! Its totally made in the US in the Columbia SC plant right next to the FN arms made for our US Armed forces!

I've looked at them and I really like them, though the grip to me is a little Glock like. The FN does have the different back straps, just doesnt fit as comfortably as my 1911. Also, my daughter can easily handle my 1911 and the FN grip again is an issue for her too.

For a comp gun, the FN would be awesome! Great price on those too!!!

BenSamp said:
The .45 that I'm taking a real close look at is the FN-FNP .45, it comes with 2 dbl stack 15 rnd mags and 1 14 rnd mag for about $700.00 and 300.00 more they offer a tactical model with a threaded barrel that has raised front and rear sights to accomdate a rds and see over the silencer if installed.

Everyone I have ever seen had an atrocious trigger pull. Almost as bad as an S&W sigma. You'd almost be dead before you could pull the trigger in a gun fight on the ones I have seen. I think the pull weight on them was at least 10 pounds.

tnxdshooter said:
BenSamp said:

Everyone I have ever seen had an atrocious trigger pull. Almost as bad as an S&W sigma. You'd almost be dead before you could pull the trigger in a gun fight on the ones I have seen. I think the pull weight on them was at least 10 pounds.

Really? The double action on mine is smooth with no hitches or hard spots, but it does stack a wee bit before let off, my trigger pull gauge shows just over 9lbs. The single action is very light with a little creep, mine breaks at a little over 3 1/2 lbs.

IMAG0130.jpg

J.L. said:
Greetings,
I have an itch to purchase a .45 pistol. I am starting the research stage by asking my fellow board members for recommendations. This is my criteria for the .45 pistol. It has to accept high capacity magazine. I do not care what brand it is or how much it cost. I would like to have the whole field of view on these pistols before I narrow it down. If you know of any pistol meeting this criteria that I should stay away from, this information would be greatly appreciated also. If there is other criteria you feel I should consider, also let me know. Thank you in advance. ;)

High cap .45, I would say Springfield XD or XDM 45.

The Glock 21 and 30 are fine weapons. I have owned them both and would buy them again.
The HK USP .45 is the most accurate .45 I have ever fired, hands down.
I have a Sig P250C in .45acp. Very nice. Sig quality at an affordable price.
Para-Ordanace is the King of hi-cap 1911's. The P-14 PXT Tactical is 14+1 and comes with 5 mags.
ParaP14Tactical45acp1500.jpg

Like others have said, good luck and have fun. Gun shopping is great!

I don't know, I'd go STI over Para any day.

Ten years ago I'd have agreed with you, but Para's quality and reputation aren't what they used to be.

BBossman1 said:

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
^ I just drooled on my keyboard...

Me TOO!!! I really like this gun, though I havent handled one enough to be familiar with the trigger pull enough to make any authoritative statement, only that SA was around 3 1/2 like mentioned, and it felt fine to me. Only thing I didnt like, to me the grip fit my hand much the way most Glocks do. I dont have large hands, theyre wide though, and the 1911 grip is a perfect full size fit.

*Disclaimer*
I'm not a hardcore pistol shooter and my experience is centered around target shooting with a Springfield Armory 1911. I have almost no clue when it comes to pistols! :D

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
I don't know, I'd go STI over Para any day.

Ten years ago I'd have agreed with you, but Para's quality and reputation aren't what they used to be.

I have to say I had mine over 15 years ago so I have no experience with the newer Paras. I had a P-12. Great little gun, ate everything I gave it including 185 gr. +P Cor-bons.

I bought mine because I know several folks that have had their Para for years and they all swear by them. The brand has been having issues for a while now, but their QC has been on a rapid decline since setting up their US headquarters in Pineville, NC back in '09. I'll spare you the details, but I'll say that my recent personal experience with the brand was enough for me to swear off Para for good.

I know Shooter has an older model as well and he loves the hell out of it. If you've got a good one hold onto it. They just don't make em like they used to anymore...

BBossman1!

Huge congrats on owning that pistol with the Trijicon RMR sight!!!!!!!!

RMR-led&dual-web.jpg

(For those of you'uns that don't know, that little RMR son-of-a-gun costs more than most folks would ever fork over for an entire pistol!

I attended a 2-day fighting pistol course last weekend and there was a tactical guy shooting the HK SOCOM .45 with the RMR sight. It was very interesting to watch.

nitesite said:
BBossman1!

Huge congrats on owning that pistol with the Trijicon RMR sight!!!!!!!!

RMR-led&dual-web.jpg

(For those of you'uns that don't know, that little RMR son-of-a-gun costs more than most folks would ever fork over for an entire pistol!

I attended a 2-day fighting pistol course last weekend and there was a tactical guy shooting the HK SOCOM .45 with the RMR sight. It was very interesting to watch.

The RMR isn't that expensive; carefull shopping can get you in the game well under $500. Using a "red dot" on a "tactical/defensive" handgun has a learning curve that takes some time, but I can see the advantages. The REAL expense is the Silencerco Osprey ($850 + $200 transfer tax) to complete the system. Hopefully I'll get my stamp by May of 2012.

Sent from my EVO View using Tapatalk

I've got a PARA and got it two years ago. I've had one problem with it but it was minor and didn't render the gun inoperable. Even still, called Para and told them what happened. A small tab on barrel bushing snapped off(not even sure how) and they sent me a new one no questions asked. Aside from that it runs HP and Ball ammo great.

I'd buy another Para. They are the first and practically the only company doing double stack 1911's. Way too big for effective CCW piece IMO but for HD and range/competition shooting it'd be great. Mine is a CCO and its obviously great for CCW.

i love the HK USPs...mines a usp compact .40

a good friend of mine highly recommends the FN .45, his is his favorite gun and he's had glocks and xds n stuff before

really though a handgun is a very personal choice, as long as it has a reputation for being reliable go shoot a bunch and see what fits YOU best. our next handgun will be a glock 21 solely for the reason that my fiance is comfortable with it and shoot great with it (although if it was up to me i'd be gettin a 1911, but that can come later, i'm already 2 up on her with the mossy and my hk)

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
I love my G21!

You should! Amazingly reliable and very accurate fighting pistols. It's hard to miss when you shoot a GLOCK21.

nitesite said:
LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
I love my G21!

You should! Amazingly reliable and very accurate fighting pistols. It's hard to miss when you shoot a GLOCK21.

Yes Sir,

Folks love to bash them but I shoot my Glocks, especially the 21, better than anything else I own and they always go bang when ya need em. That's enough for me...

need advice

You all know I lost my P89. I need to replace it so I started looking around today. This is going to be hard because I tend to overanalyze and get nitpicky so I want some opinions and advice from my friends so I can pick through your experiences to help my decision.
Here is what I know. My p89 was dear to me because of its reliability and overly strong design. I am partial to a hammer and firing pin but have learned to like a striker fired handgun as well.

I want high capacity, I don’t mind poly frames anymore but prefer metal. I have handled Glock’s , didn’t mind it but it didn’t give me that fuzzy feeling either .

I also have never owned a 40 s&w or a 10mm

I don’t really care about customizing but a spot for a light might be cool.

Today I handled a bunch of pistols but didn’t shoot any, dry fired them all. I really liked the Sig 2022, 250, Ruger SR9,40, M&P 9,40. The sig really spoke to me ….probably due to the hammer and what felt like a great trigger, Ruger guns have never let me down .….A lot of you have a lot wider range of manufacture experience than me so I have 500 bucks
CZ ?

Thanks!

Re: need advice

i love my buddy's MP45, not quite as much as my hk usp compact 40 (which you could get for around $500 if you buy a lightly used one like a police trade in or something)

Back