• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Handgun Recommendations and Advice...

Re: need advice

I am very partial to the XD's and love my XD40 sub compact but it is quite snappy. You can also customize it with a wide range of aftermarket parts to fit your needs.

Thanks guys, the M&P seemed sweet, I need to shoot one. I have put about 100 rounds through an XDm9, super accurate and felt good in my hand........reliability? The one I shot did well. I know the S&W factory puts the M&P's through a really rigorous screening and I imagine Springfield wouldn’t put their name on a firearm too easily

Have you seen the newly re issued colt mustang .380? It's like the 1911's but smaller and just under 500$.....

Oli,my experiences are limited.

The only high capacity handguns I have not only handled but also fired are Rugers, like the P95 and one other I think was a P90. I liked shooting it and it was easyto get accurate with very quickly, in fact the first time Allison and I fired the one we both did better than the guns owner. They're reasonably light and recoil was no issue, even for Allison. Box stock they seem to be good shooting guns and I like the mechanics, or controls. My only problem with them is not the gun as much as my hands aren't really big enough for high capacity grips.

thanks guys. I bet that Colt is nice, its just too small. I want a full size that packs a ton of shots. If I go 40 I would say that 12 would be the minmum.

I think I want to stray from Ruger for this one time lol......I do like the SR offerings though.....

I am leaning tward the 40 cal. Any body have a lot of 40 cal shooting, how do they compare to a 9 or a 45 for that matter. I have shot a lot of those but never a 40.

So far I like

XD V10
XDM
Sig 2022
M&P

Interested but havent handled

CZ
Beretta

My 2 cents bro...you'll love a SIG...in any caliber !! Well made, accurate like you won't believe. A tad over your price range, maybe a used one ?

Hey buddy.

So far of what we know of each other, we seem to have simliar tastes in guns :lol:

With that said, I'm going to throw out some idea's that may seem very strange to a lot of people. Or at least the first 2 suggestions at any rate.

#1 Ruger made more than one P89. I'm sure if you look around you'll be able to find another if you want to replace it with another. :cool: It's very apparent how you feel about it. I'm very partial to my 85 too. I sold mine, and had to have it back so 2 years later, bought it back :mrgreen:

#2 I used to have a Norinco Tokarev TT-30 in 7.62x25 and that is an amazing bullet/caliber that is often overlooked and under estimated. The gun was great too, but the capacity was small. All steel design, has a hammer, and slim profile is a little better than carrying around a 1911. Sorry, no video of that one. I owned it before the internet and digital was invented :lol:

#3 Beretta makes some super pistols too (and of metal), and upgradable/customizable and the newer ones have light rails and of course, a hammer. Here I am shooting my buddies 92F. If you have your heart set on 40 S&W, they make them too in the model 96.

And if you dont' like the Beretta's price tag, Taurus makes a clone that is fairly similiar made on old Beretta equipment, but be aware there parts aren't all interchangable, but if you look around, you can probably find a used Beretta for what you're looking to pay.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmq-STPUa40[/youtube]

#4 I have a full size Springfield XD 40 (they call the 5 inch barrel the Tactical model :roll: ). These are made in Croatia and Springfield is the sole importer, and thus why they're called the Springfield XD.

I've done a considerable amount of work to mine to make it "acceptable" to me. I did some work on the trigger to get rid of all of that takeup, which is very easy with nothing more than JB weld, I have replaced the sights on it (which are the same as sig night sights if you want to save a few bucks buying them instead of the springfield marked sights), and I also added a Sprinco 2 stage stainless steel recoil guide rod and bushing and reduced power recoil spring.

It's a very solid platform for individualized upgrades.

I do like the 40 S&W though. A considerable more amount of power over 9mm. Especially with the right bullet. But if I could go back and do it again, I would probably not have gotten the XD and wish I had gotten the beretta 92 or 96.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCcFwtfVEc0[/youtube]

Wow, John you are a good ally and a great contributor thank you.

That 92 looks like it is on the money. I am sure I could find another P89 but I am trying to step out of my box this time....It’s a risk I think I need to take lol.

I think I have decided on 40 cal for sure so one dilemma down.

I have shot a Tokarev in 9x18...is that similar ?

And no one take offence but I dont like to buy something knowing I need to make improvements off the bat....the Sigma I have for instance......and what I hear about Kel tec, I havent shot one so I dont know but I hear some of you talking about doing things to them right out of the box.

SHOOTER13 said:
My 2 cents bro...you'll love a SIG...in any caliber !! Well made, accurate like you won't believe. A tad over your price range, maybe a used one ?

Shooter, the Sig 2022 seems real resonable, it has a poly frame so that cut some costs. It just spoke to me holding it....wish I could have shot it.

9x18 and 7.62x25 aren't even in the same league.

The 7.62x25 is obviously comm-block military grade ammo. It's cheap to buy in bulk, and is wicked bullet to say the least. I used to carry one when I worked private security many years ago, at the expense of a lot of jokes from a few of my fellow employee's that thought their wonder plastic was all that, little did they know at the time, maybe the young guy did know a little about what he was talking about :lol:

It's worth your time watching these few video's. The first is what the bullet is capable of, and the 2nd concentrates more on the pistol itself.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTg-TgEpUm0[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYPGL46egas[/youtube]

oli700 said:
You all know I lost my P89. I need to replace it so I started looking around today. This is going to be hard because I tend to overanalyze and get nitpicky so I want some opinions and advice from my friends so I can pick through your experiences to help my decision.
Here is what I know. My p89 was dear to me because of its reliability and overly strong design. I am partial to a hammer and firing pin but have learned to like a striker fired handgun as well.

I want high capacity, I don’t mind poly frames anymore but prefer metal. I have handled Glock’s , didn’t mind it but it didn’t give me that fuzzy feeling either .

I also have never owned a 40 s&w or a 10mm

I don’t really care about customizing but a spot for a light might be cool.

Today I handled a bunch of pistols but didn’t shoot any, dry fired them all. I really liked the Sig 2022, 250, Ruger SR9,40, M&P 9,40. The sig really spoke to me ….probably due to the hammer and what felt like a great trigger, Ruger guns have never let me down .….A lot of you have a lot wider range of manufacture experience than me so I have 500 bucks
CZ ?

Thanks!

Sig great trigger? Most have heavy triggers that feel like dragging around a boat anchor in gravel. Now sig does make a DAK (Double Action Kellerman) (Kellerman is the guy that designed the trigger system) that is really smooth and only about 6 pounds.

Sent from Droid Incredible on Verizon Wireless

oli700 said:
Thanks guys, the M&P seemed sweet, I need to shoot one. I have put about 100 rounds through an XDm9, super accurate and felt good in my hand........reliability? The one I shot did well. I know the S&W factory puts the M&P's through a really rigorous screening and I imagine Springfield wouldn’t put their name on a firearm too easily

NRA did a 30,000 round torture test and even ran over their xd with a truck and dropped it off a building if I remember correctly and it never malfunctioned.

I own a 40 caliber xd. I like it better than a 9. 9 has less stopping power and seems a pansy compared to 40. I can shoot my 40 one handed strong or weak hand. Recoil is not that bad on the 4" service model. It has less recoil than my 45. I carry the 45 andthe 40 daily alternating them out. I have 1500 rounds through the xd and it still shoots true. No malfunctions ever and it has eaten every 40 cal ammo I have thrown at it including crappy monarch, tul ammo, and wolf.

dang, sounds dependable. The Sig I handled felt nice to me ...maybe I'm not that picky but if you think that about the Sig 2022 you wouldnt want to shoot any of my guns lol

I don't know if you handled a Gen4 Glock or not, but if you get the chance have your LGS let you test one with the different back straps on it. It may make a difference for you. My next pistol purchase (for me) will be a Sig in .357SIG. Just have to figure out which platform I want to go with.

What's up oil!

I know I'm chiming in a bit late on this one, but I just got back from the range.

oli700 said:
Any body have a lot of 40 cal shooting, how do they compare to a 9 or a 45 for that matter.

I've shot a legitimate crap load of .40 S&W outta my G23 and my XD40SC. I love the round and I can definitely feel the additional power shooting my G23 and G19 side by side. Feels more like a .45ACP that comes out screaming fast. My XD is a great little pistol now, but I was very displeased with the factory trigger. After installing the new PRP match trigger kit it's good to go now. As far as Beretta goes, I love mine but they're all 9mm. Definitely a beefier platform all around, but they're great shoot'n pistols.

Good luck in the hunt brother...

oli700 said:
dang, sounds dependable. The Sig I handled felt nice to me ...maybe I'm not that picky but if you think that about the Sig 2022 you wouldnt want to shoot any of my guns lol

Super duper reliable. I have had not one issue, not one hiccup with my XD ever.

I like sigs dont get me wrong. I just hate the 10 pound triggers on the non DAK models. I want one in DAK but have no findage for one.

LES

I was hoping you would see this. Any exp with the PX4 ? I am highly interested in it, and I know you have Sig exp as well

None with the PX4, but there's a dedicated sub-culture over at the Beretta forum that swears by them. I've fondled the model on a few occasions and the ergos are great. Haven't heard any negative feedback on the model at all. I've considered pucking one up, but there's always something else that jumps in line in front of it.

My experience with SIG is limited to shooting the hell outta my Pop's 9mm P226, but I'll actually be pickin up a new P220 for myself next week. I really like the platform, and you can find them used for around $500 every once in a while.

Overall I still shoot better with my Glocks, but that's the platform I learned on...

Back