• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Handgun Recommendations and Advice...

You telling me that Kimber is only $529?

I am. $529 for the .380 and $579 for the 9. Those aren't sale prices, those are everyday prices. They aren't always in stock but new shipments arrive regularly enough. So given that the Kimber isn't much over many of the other guns listed, (and is in fact less than some others) I'd be all over the Kimber.

Let me back up a little, the crimson trace micro is more and the raptor model is also more.

I apologize, I was thinking more specifically of the stainless micro models. There are several "designer" versions of the same model. My bad.

IMG_1025.JPG

^^^This is what my wife wants^^^

Hey guys, I know this is a Mossberg forum but would like your valuable input. ... What do you all prefer for carry? ...Complete noob here when it comes to selecting the right one, so any and all input is welcome!

What you need to focus on is not what gun to carry, but how to find out what you will want to carry. My advice to you would pretty much parallel what Water Monkey has said in this thread.

You probably will not end up carrying the same setup 2 years from the day you strap on your first gun. Dedicate yourself to learning and shooting. Competition is great because you will undoubtedly find people that will lend you guns and equipment you can try. I shot with a dozen different guns before I chose what I carry now. If you don't have access to IDPA [they require concealment] or IPSC [they allow concealment] matches find a professional instructor [a good idea in any case] who has a bunch of guns.

Here are a few of things I would add.

1. Never pick a gun because of the way it looks. But be aware of the way it looks when you are carrying it. [Namely INVISIBLE.]
2. Add a philosophical component to your concealed carry experience. There is a lot of thinking in this art, and most of it should be done before the fight starts.
3. Safety is paramount. Never get casual w/ firearms.
4. Keep asking questions to trusted people.

Let us know how your progress goes.

--edited: spelling

Last edited:
Thanks scoop. I'm heading the my local gun shop, look at a couple and ask a bunch of questions as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks scoop. I'm heading the my local gun shop, look at a couple and ask a bunch of questions as well

Take the gun shops advice with a grain of salt. Especially in NY. Their job is to sell guns.

You should hear some of the idiotic retarded stuff I've heard from gun shops.

Take the gun shops advice with a grain of salt. Especially in NY. Their job is to sell guns.

You should hear some of the idiotic retarded stuff I've heard from gun shops.

This is no lie. When I first began looking for my first shotgun, the guy told me that at across the room distance, the shot would cover a 10' x 10' area and basically annihilate a bad guy or anything else in the way.

I'm thinking sales people can't possibly still be this stupid, but it's otherwise the same story. They want to sell you firearms.

We are so lucky to have guys like Scoop and Water Monkey here. My experiences are the experiences of a newbie handgunner. I learned to shoot one as a kid but I never carried concealed. At 12 years old I carried a rifle and a pistol openly out in the desert. 50 years ago.

At our local indoor range (located at the Fresno Police Science Institute) you can try any gun on the rack, if you buy their somewhat overpriced ammo. They have over 30 guns on display, and more available for purchase.

I have a friend who has an FFL and two with collections, which I also got to try out.

This is how I decided what I liked best to shoot, and eventually I purchased 5 different handguns.

Then I tried them out, carying various guns, various ways, to determine what I would and would not deal with.

I determined that I could carry the .22mag wearing literally anything more than a speedo. I could wear the dang thing as a keyfob when folded. It literally goes anywhere. You can work it with one hand if you unfold it before you need it.

The .45 "Military" requires me to wear a substantial coat to hide. Ditto for the .357 revolver. I wear 32 slims, but even in 36 baggies I wasn't at all comfortable carrying those about the waist. A .44 coat hides anything.

The .22 auto Ruger works better, but the big Luger-shaped handle prints too well. I really bought that gun for my wife to practice with. It's not enough stopping power on a human, though it'll crank out 10 real fast.

The XDS9 was the best for IWB/OWB carry on me. Also the better for armpit cary. Any of the other guns that size would have worked as well but this one was gun of the year when it came out and it is an excellent piece. I liked it immediately and I still do.
20170105_203546.jpg
I had to clean up the safe this is most of my stuff all stacked up right here.

Last edited:
Thank you.
I got tired of putting my retirement savings in the stock market, and every time Hillary Clinton opened her mouth the price of guns went up, & I bought another one.

Now I am retired, and of course that's going to have to stop, but I have enough to keep me happy and more.

I will add one little bit of general carry information. If you are a bigger guy with any amount of spare tire, carrying a gun with a hammer, either down or cocked-n-locked has a greater potential to dig into you when you carry it.

If you an on carrying IWB you will probably want pants a waist size larger to accomodate the holster.

I tend to buy shirts a hoodies a size larger as well just to help keep it conceiled. We have no laws prohibiting printing here but when I want it conceiled, I want it conceiled.

Buy a holster belt, not just a heavy leather belt, a holster belt. This can either be leather or nylon. They are reinforced and will not sag, droop or deform under the weight of a holster. I like the Wilderness Instructors Belt

Not all holsters are created equal. Injection molded plastic is not the same a Kydex and is not as resiliant. I prefer kydex, leather or a combination. The wider the loops, clips, etc on a holster the more stable it will hold the gun and distribute the weight. You spent good money on a gun, buy a good holster.

Side note -- Please avoid the Blackhawk Serpa holster. The design seems to beg for a ND and additionally grit in the button can render it non functional. May instructors around here have banned then from their classes as a result. Just search for "serpa fail" and decide for yourself. I know lots of people use it and love it but that does not negate the inherent design flaw.

If you plan on open carying I recommend something with at least level 2 retention.

I do have a kydex with leather back IWB for my 40 and plan on getting a proper belt as well. Thanks for the great info

Side note -- Please avoid the Blackhawk Serpa holster. The design seems to beg for a ND and additionally grit in the button can render it non functional. May instructors around here have banned then from their classes as a result. Just search for "serpa fail" and decide for yourself. I know lots of people use it and love it but that does not negate the inherent design flaw.

BINGO!

I'll repeat that leaving out the "Please." DO NOT USE the Blackhawk Serpa holster.

I teach Handgun Carry Classes that the Sheriff's Office puts on in this county. Any time I see a Serpa come in I give the MikeD lecture above. We let them use them in the class because guns in the course are NEVER holstered when loaded. But I demo the problems by letting them draw a G19 Blue Gun out of the Serpa. Hurry up! Hurry up! ... and invariably I'll have to yell "FINGER!"

Several ranges and competitive venues will not allow Serpas.

Thanx, MikeD, for reminding us.

DANGER!
blackhawk-sportster-serpa-holster-16.gif

Proof

images

This is the holster that automatically places your depressed index finger on the trigger as soon as it clears the plastic?

Oh yeah that's a great system...:rolleyes:

This is the holster that automatically places your depressed index finger on the trigger as soon as it clears the plastic?

Oh yeah that's a great system...:rolleyes:
It places it just above the trigger on the rail where it is supposed to be. The problem is that the action of depressing the button and drawing quickly can cause you finger to slide down into the trigger because you are still pressing down with your finger when the gun clears the holster which could be bad if it slips into the trigger.

I feel there are other types of retention that do not require a tensioning of your trigger finger.

On another note, one of the videos floating around was from a local class where some pebbles got behind the button and the gun could not be removed. I do not want a holster that may could brick my firearm if I get knocked down in the dirt. The odds of it happening may be slim but it has happened and I am not willing to bet my life on it.

Just my opinion, do the research and decide for yourself. Many people still use them even one LEO friend of mine, even after discussions on it.

Cadd> This is the holster that automatically places your depressed index finger on the trigger as soon as it clears the plastic?

HolsterSelection_019.jpg

Thanks, Scoop.

I read the report somewhere here, but that's the first time I've seen it done.

Back