• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Handgun Recommendations and Advice...

Re: need advice

Beretta forum ? I need to get my hands on one because it has a lot of features I like.

I also narrowed it down a little more. I have a striker pistol so it’s going to be a hammer for this one. So a hammer driven 40, high capacity, thinking out loud, thanks guys

Can I make you grips for it?

And where's the beretta forum?

that site is great and now I am looking at the Beretta 96A1 12+1 40 cal, hammer, metal frame ....I knew I would start doing this

John, that 7.62X25 is nasty as hell, I like it

oli700 said:
I am looking at the Beretta 96A1 12+1 40 cal, hammer, metal frame ....I knew I would start doing this

I thought the Beretta 96 is a good choice, and the features are exactly what you were looking for. That's why I mentioned it.

To play devil's advocate, do you wanna know an even cooler thing about the Beretta 96?

besides the 40 cal that the 96 comes in, you can get 9mm conversion kits for them to make it essentially a 92 that shoots 9mm with just a slide, barrel and mag swap :twisted:

For that matter, you can do the same thing if you start out with a 40 cal Springfield XD and then you can do a barrel swap and shoot 357 sig or 40 S&W out of the same magazine, or even still, get a 9mm mag and barrel to shoot 9x19 through it :ugeek:

Lord help me. I have too much useless info floating around between my ears.

Useless? You must be mistaken sir..that's some great info!

damn I think it is going to be the 96A1.....John how would you say the accuracy is compared to your Ruger

I kinda like the Berettas too from my limited knowledge of them. Uhh, well, the little I know is entirely from this forum! :D

I just saw something about a new SA XD(M) with a 5 1/4" barrel in 9mm, .40, and .45 and has target rear sight and fiber optic front and a light rail perfect for a TLR. Thip grip angle is said to be much more like a 1911 and less like a Glock or S&W M&P. It also includes interchangable backstraps to help better fit the grip to your hand.

Its capacity?
19 + 1 in 9mm!!!

Here are a couple pics I found;

xdm9-52504.jpg

Springfield-Armory-XDM-Competition-left.jpg

I am in no way familiar with the firearm. Figured I'd post as much as I can find on it though.

Hey oli, I'm gonna cast my vote for the 96a1 as well...

The 96 series of pistols operates on a short recoil, delayed blowback system, which yields; faster cycle times, exceptional accuracy and greater reliability. Double/Single action provides a very safe and time-proven design. High-capacity steel magazines are durable and drop-free when the magazine button is depressed, even when empty. Chrome-lined barrels provide extreme corrosion resistance, as well as ease of cleaning. Barrels also feature a deeply recessed combat muzzle crown to protect the rifling.

Open Slide Design:
Open top slide virtually eliminates jamming and stove piping. Allows the user to load and chamber one cartridge at a time should the magazine be lost or damaged.

Disassembly Latch:
Simplifies field stripping for maintenance by allowing quick and easy disassembly. Stays on the gun, preventing accidental dropping and loss.

Visible Automatic Firing Pin Block:
The front part of the firing pin is blocked from any forward movement until the trigger is pulled completely back. The block is located rearward, far away from the fouling and debris of the breech face. Since the block is visible, the user may ascer tain its proper operation at any time. Even if the pistol falls and strikes the ground muzzle down, the firing pin will not strike the primer.

Rear Sight Profile:
The rear sight is designed to provide a front projection so that in an emergency, the user may retract the slide single-handedly by pushing the rear sight against the edge of a table, door, etc.

External Hammer Design:
A traditional feature of Beretta pistols, this design provides the energy to the firing pin, virtually eliminating the possibility of misfires due to light primer. Also provides an immediate visual and tactile indicator as to the cocked/uncocked status of the pistol.

No Glare Finish:
Beretta’s exclusive Bruniton non-reflective black coating is a superior corrosion and wear resistant finish.

Light Aluminum Frame:
Each pistol features a lightweight, forged frame made from extremely strong aircraft-quality aluminum alloy.

Reversible Magazine Release:
Positioned next to the trigger guard for either right or left-handed shooters, allowing rapid reloading. Magazine drops clear when released.

Unique Ultra Safe Design:
The ambidextrous safety lever, easily accessible by the thumb of a right or left handed shooter, is spring loaded so it’s either positively “on” or “off ”. The safety lever also functions as the pistol’s decocking lever. When pushed down, the rear part of the firing pin (striker) is rotated out of alignment with the front part of the firing pin. Additional hammer drop catch (half-cock notch prevents striking of the firing pin unit) in the remote chance of unintentional hammer drop.

Sure, Firm Grip:
The front and back of the grip are grooved like the 92FS and M9. The grip frame is flared slightly at the base to enhance pointability and control.

High-Capacity Magazines:
Completely interchangeable with other 96 family magazines. 12 rounds in 40 S&W and THREE magazines included per pistol.

Chamber-loaded Indicator:
When a round is chambered, the extractor protrudes slightly to show a red indicator. In the dark, the user can feel the protruding extractor.

Removable front sight:
Allows the user to easily replace a damaged sight or replace it with an accessory sight.

Accessory rail:
The frame of the A1’s have an integral MIL-STD-1913 rail for rapid attachment of tactical lights and laser aiming devices.

Internal recoil buffer:
Increases service life by reducing stress on the receiver created by the more powerful .40 S&W caliber ammunition.

Captive recoil spring assembly:
The single-piece design simplifies the assembly and disassembly process and minimizes the possibility of spring loss.

Rounded trigger guard:
Updated styling to conform with current pistol gripping practices.

Thanks guys, if it at all feels good in my hand I will cough up a couple extra bucks for it.....

Ah dang LES... That looks awesome, now I'm gonna start dreaming about walmart selling these at $199 again and the place being a madhouse!!! :lol:

Seriously, I'd buy that! Are they available in .40?

Yes Sir,

The 96 series Berettas are all chambered in .40 S&W (92 series in 9mm). Haha, I remember you talking about that dream a while back. I'd have to buy a couple at that price too... :lol:

Walmart had these for $199? Or was that the dream?

Yeah, it was all a dream... and it was the 92FS in that case. Wicked awesome deal on those however!

I'll look up what the 93 series is goin for!

I'm going to ask you to look at the CZ-85 Combat. Jeff Cooper and others have said that the CZ-75 is the finest combat pistol ever designed. It's in use by more nations armies and police forces than any other handgun. The 75 comes with fixed sights and the magazines do not drop free. Operates in true SA (similar to 1911 and BHP, cocked and locked) or DA-SA (like the Beretta 92 and Ruger P-series). Where the 75 is a great gun, the 85 is an outstanding gun.

The CZ-75/85 line is THE single most naturally pointing pistol anywhere. Look at something, close your eyes, aim the pistol and open your eyes. You're on target. Every time. It has a very low bore axis for almost zero recoil and conventional rifling for shooting lead bullets for practice (some pistols have polygonal rifling and don't take lead bullets well).

That's why I love the CZ-85 Combat. You get upgraded adjustable sights, ambi safeties and mag releases, and drop free magazines. Adjustable trigger overtravel stop is a nice plus. For under $600.

I know you're looking for a .40-cal but the 9mm CZ-85 Combat is the finest all-steel 9mm pistol made. Period. Look for used 75s and 85s for sale on the internet. Ask in better gun stores if they ever see anyone using one to trade or sell. The answer will be "no".

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-85-combat/

thanks man I will check them out as nothing is in stone yet, you all have been a great help in finding me what I want .....

Back