• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Happy Friday The 13th!!

MikeD

I'm Your Huckleberry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
Happy Friday The 13th!!

Be safe out there and try to avoid the Crystal Lake area if at all possible.

What's the version you know of? I know there's quite a few reasons why....

My name starts with the letter M, the 13th letter in the alphabet. so it's my lucky number by birth... ;)

HAPPY FRIDAY THE RIPJACK13TH!!

The version I know had to do with the Knights Templar. My name also starts with an M but the reason 13 is my lucky name is it was my uncle football number when he played for Eagles He died on the field so I use his number as a memory of him.

There's a family history on my wife's side of odd and bad happenings on this day. I was working with my (lovely 85 year old) mother-in-law on a scheduled computer lesson at her place-just the two of us. I don't carry in her house (car or coat but...) today was busy, raining like heck. We sat down to wOrk on a trip to Detroit and some new e-mail tricks and I realize that I have my IWB carry on her side and we're sharing the laptop on the sofa as usual. I really didn't want to address the "what's that on your belt" question. I envisioned the worst. Frankly I'd love to indoctrinate her to the good side of the second ammendment but at 85 and at the discouragement of my wife (her oldest daughter) I have instead used a lot of self restraint out of respect. There was a very good chance that my Kahr was going to print OR possibly make contact with her. At that point I can't take my mind off derailing the session and DID manage to excuse myself to plant the weapon and holster in my wet coat hanging on a chair. We had a great session and have a super trip to the motor city planned. But with a family bar knife fight (dead uncle) AND a suicide car jump into
the Detroit river (with a trunk full of the family penny collection to guarantee the car sinking) I could not avoid the dark thoughts of the day and a lingering family legacy. I'm currently on the sofa with a gear bag packed for an IDPA match tomorrow AM. Mags are loaded etc. Things that would normally be locked up arent. It's just me and my wife. Just a few hours until the pawl is lifted, right?!?!

five821 said:
The version I know had to do with the Knights Templar. My name also starts with an M but the reason 13 is my lucky name is it was my uncle football number when he played for Eagles He died on the field so I use his number as a memory of him.

In numerology, the number twelve is considered the number of completeness, as reflected in the twelve months of the year, twelve hours of the clock, twelve gods of Olympus, twelve tribes of Israel, twelve Apostles of Jesus, etc., whereas the number thirteen was considered irregular, transgressing this completeness. There is also a superstition, thought by some to derive from the Last Supper or a Norse myth, that having thirteen people seated at a table will result in the death of one of the diners.

Friday has been considered an unlucky day at least since the 14th century's The Canterbury Tales, and many other professions have regarded Friday as an unlucky day to undertake journeys, begin new projects or deploy releases in production. Black Friday has been associated with stock market crashes and other disasters since the 1800s

Records of the superstition are rarely found before the 20th century, when it became extremely common. The connection between the Friday the 13th superstition and the Knights Templar was popularized in the 2003 novel The Da Vinci Code and in the 1989 work "Born in Blood: The Lost Secrets of Freemasonry". On Friday, 13 October 1307, hundreds of the Knights Templar were arrested in France, an action apparently motivated financially and undertaken by the efficient royal bureaucracy to increase the prestige of the crown. Philip IV was the force behind this ruthless move, but it has also tarnished the historical reputation of Clement V. From the very day of Clement V's coronation, the king falsely charged the Templars with heresy, immorality and abuses, and the scruples of the Pope were compromised by a growing sense that the burgeoning French State might not wait for the Church, but would proceed independently. However, experts agree that this is a relatively recent correlation, and most likely a modern-day invention.

ripjack13 said:
five821 said:

In numerology, the number twelve is considered the number of completeness, as reflected in the twelve months of the year, twelve hours of the clock, twelve gods of Olympus, twelve tribes of Israel, twelve Apostles of Jesus, etc., whereas the number thirteen was considered irregular, transgressing this completeness. There is also a superstition, thought by some to derive from the Last Supper or a Norse myth, that having thirteen people seated at a table will result in the death of one of the diners.

Friday has been considered an unlucky day at least since the 14th century's The Canterbury Tales, and many other professions have regarded Friday as an unlucky day to undertake journeys, begin new projects or deploy releases in production. Black Friday has been associated with stock market crashes and other disasters since the 1800s

Records of the superstition are rarely found before the 20th century, when it became extremely common. The connection between the Friday the 13th superstition and the Knights Templar was popularized in the 2003 novel The Da Vinci Code and in the 1989 work "Born in Blood: The Lost Secrets of Freemasonry". On Friday, 13 October 1307, hundreds of the Knights Templar were arrested in France, an action apparently motivated financially and undertaken by the efficient royal bureaucracy to increase the prestige of the crown. Philip IV was the force behind this ruthless move, but it has also tarnished the historical reputation of Clement V. From the very day of Clement V's coronation, the king falsely charged the Templars with heresy, immorality and abuses, and the scruples of the Pope were compromised by a growing sense that the burgeoning French State might not wait for the Church, but would proceed independently. However, experts agree that this is a relatively recent correlation, and most likely a modern-day invention.

I need more friends like you. I like leaning about stuff like that Thank you for sharing. :D

Anytime....I'm a history buff. I can't get enough of that stuff.

Interesting that at least 3 of us posting so far have a name that starts with "M"

Oh man..I am sorry to hear that Shooter. My condolences to you and her family. I cannot imagine loosing my Mom....I lost my Dad in 89 :( , but I don't even want to think about her leaving me. :cry:

SHOOTER13 said:
Buried my wife's mother yesterday ( the 13th )...
Sorry to hear that. My thoughts go out to you and your family

Very sorry for your family's loss SHOOTER. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and yours...

Thanks gentlemen...I really appreciate your sentiments, as does my wife, in our time of grief.

Back