• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Has anyone made the class II wait?

kurtis

so for my birthday my wife got a factory 14 inch 590a1 with pistol grip so the tax stamp was only 5 bucks. i guess they had one new in the box still with the factory oil on it laying in the back. Her boss helped out with the paper work and we sent it in, now for the 9 month wait......... Any of you fellow mossy owners have something like this? Iv shot pistol grip shotguns before but nothing with this short of a barrel.

She sounds like a keeper to me. Is it a pistol grip only or a stock with pistol grip too? I'm very familiar with 590A1's but not so much with the SBS factory offerings. Do you have a model number? Sorry I can't help you with how it will shoot.

It came from the factory with no stock so it's considered an AOW since it's not considered a shotgun by definition. And I'll have to look at the box when I go in the shop and see if there's a model number.

The Mossberg model should be #51683.

It's configured with the standard cruiser style pistol grip and 14" barrel. Overall length is 24" and it's classified as an AOW...

51683.jpg

Congrats @kurtis , that'll make one fine weapon...

I should have known LES would know. Thanks. One of these days I need to start the process for a stamp.

It was a lot easier than i thought it would be. But this wait is going to kill me, all i can do is go in and have my wife show it to me but thats just a tease. I had an 18.5 inch barrel with a pistol grip and it kicked pretty hard id imagine a 14 would be worse? Correct me if I'm wrong?

It was a lot easier than i thought it would be. But this wait is going to kill me, all i can do is go in and have my wife show it to me but thats just a tease. I had an 18.5 inch barrel with a pistol grip and it kicked pretty hard id imagine a 14 would be worse? Correct me if I'm wrong?

It's a bit of a trade-off really.

With 4" less barrel, gasses exit sooner which should result in slightly less recoil energy. However, less barrel also means less weight which will counteract the reduction to a degree. All in all it'll likely be similar to what you felt with the 18.5" barrel. Using low-recoil ammo will help settle it down some. If you find yourself in need Hogue makes a "Tamer" pistol grip and a "Breacher" pistol grip that might help mitigate the recoil a bit compared to the hard factory plastic grip. Personally I think you'll be having so much fun shooting it you won't even feel it... ;)

Has anyone ever made the Class II wait?

Actually yes I have. 5 times for Title II weapons, though none involving shotguns.

And those 5 times I mentioned is not including going through the process 3 seperate times for having FFL's for 9 years and two different fbi background checks for employment.

So, I suppose I have been through the process a total of 10 times now.

It'd be fun to have an AOW.

I'll check out those grips. After about 50 rounds of mixed slugs, 00 buck, and bird shot my hand was swollen. But it was too much fun. I was hopping my concealed carry permit would make the process faster but that's not the case. I was talking to the head FBI agent over here and he said that he had to wait the 9 months too.

The nfa process is far too antiquated and convoluted to be honest.

Back in 1934 when the law was written (National Firearms Act), it was high tech. Learning that everyone has different fingerprints was revolutionary. And requiring everyone to go to the police station was simply the best option at the time since the police typically knew who their local troublemakers were.

But now with everyone having a unique social security number and high speed internet with huge gov't databases where you can find out if someone has a criminal record in mere seconds, there is really no reason why the nfa process has to take 9-12 months, but until someone changes the law and makes it so background checks can be made as simply as a NICS check, we're going to be stuck with it.

And sadly, if someone were to try to rewrite the law to streamline it, and if an anti were to make amendments to it (like a much higher tax rate) or remove the passing the weapon along to a lawful heir for example, with as incompetent as our elected leaders are, could reek havoc on the system, so sometimes it's better to just let sleeping dogs lie.

Took me six months to get the stamp for my suppressor a few years back. I thought that was a long wait, but the current estimated wait of 8-12 months is ridiculous...

My first stamp was back in 04 or 05 (I don't really recall). It was for an sbr AR and took a whopping 4 weeks and 3 days.

My 2nd stamp was for another sbr (mp5k)and it took a little less than 7 weeks.

Fast forward to the F1 suppressors I designed and built in 07 I think. Both of them took about 4 months a piece.

The final tax stamp I have received was the F4 for the smg. It took almost 7 months and I got it back just before the 08 elections.

Wait times have been going downhill ever since.

Back