• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

HD Follower question

wicat3

.22LR
Hey everyone. I am looking to build a home defense shotgun with an existing 500 that I own. I had planned to turn it into a high capacity shotgun but it's looking like if I go forward with that plan I won't be able to build the rest of the shotgun so I've decided to focus on other areas of the shotgun. I would like to change the magazine spring and install a new follower. My question is what type of follower is recommended for performance use?

I have used GG&G and OR3GUN followers as well as factory followers. I honestly cannot tell the difference in performance between any of the followers I have used.

Factory. Haven't had an issue with the Mossberg follower in over 30 years of use. Friend of mine went through the trouble of taking off his mag tube for a "less resistance" aluminum follower. Great, I said, Feel or work any differently? No, he said, but it's low resistance. Tactical.

I wish to amend my answer slightly. If you have installed an extended magazine tube, you may notice some differences, esp. if the transition between the existing mag tube and extension do not mate perfectly. Here is where design may determine whether it catches, snags or works fine. Also the springs are compresssd more to span the extra difcerence so more binding may be an issue if it tilts at all.

I do not use a extended tube for most applications so I was not thinking about that in my initial response.

My mag tube is a stock one. I bought it used after some research it appears to be made in the 70's. I don't know the history of this shotgun so I figured upgrading the mag tube spring would be good. I don't want to do more than I have too but i ant something reliable and replacing the spring seems like a good idea for some peice of mind. The follower makes sense while I have it apart.

Back