• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

HD shotgun question

wicat3

.22LR
Hey everyone,

I have an older Mossberg 500, mid 70's. I bought it to make a HD shotgun with it to place my H&R as a backup. I had an 18.5 barrel already so I have been using that on the shotugn but I really like the look of the 20" barrel and extended mag tube. I have as it stands a 5+1 mag tube and want to increase to at least 7 round mag tube. Looking at the way the barels fit with the mag tubes I dont see a 7 round mag tube working with the 18.5 barel. Normally I would sell my shotgun and buy a 20"HD shotgun but since I have this shotgun already is there a way to convert it to 7 round magtube or a place to get parts that would be in stock to convert to a 20" set up?

You have to replace the 18.5" barrel and standard mag tube with the 20" barrel and 7 round tube. You can buy the whole shebang on eBay for about $150-$200. It comes with the barrel, mag tube and spring. Link below. There are many more that's just the first one I ran across.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/142269393403

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Red is correct.

Only way to increase capacity with a 500 is adding a longer mag tube. Only way to do that is with a longer barrel because of the way the barrel attaches to the front of the mag tube.

Look at Mossberg's Persuader models. The mag goes all the way to the end of the 20 inch barrel.

With an 870 or 1300, you can add length to the tube without changing the barrel, but the 500 isn't made that way unfortunately. I think most all of us here wish you could, but that isn't the case.

I have added extended mag tubes to 2 different Winchester 1300's. One is a 7 round with the 20 inch, and the 28 inch barrel has a 10+1 capacity. 11+1 if I'm using my homemade 2-1/2 inch slugs ;)

You can buy a 20" barrel, or cut a longer barrel, for a 590/835 and then replace the 500 magazine tube with one from a 590/835. This will allow you to use extension tubes for the 590/835.

NOTE: Using a 835 barrel will not allow you to use 3.5 inch shells as you will be limited by the dimensions of the receiver. All 2.75" and 3" rounds are good to go.

I use 500 barrels on my 835 by doing to opposite swap.

So can I swap 590 barrel and magazine tube to make my 500 a 590? If not where can I get a 20" barrel? I seem to not be able to find them and when I do it seems they are all choked barrels and not smooth bore like my 18.5 is.

Yes you can use the 590 barrels as long as you use the 590 mag tubes.

Keep an eye on Brownell's website and type in Mossberg barrels in the search. I've bought 2 hi-cap 20"/extended tube/mag spring for my 500s for $99 each. They show up on the website at this sale price often, be patient. Last time they ran this sale was about 4 months ago, but it always reappears. Nice barrel, too.

The barrel/mag tube I linked on eBay is smooth bore. I believe all of the 20" 500 barrels with the 7 round mag tube are smooth/cylinder bore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back