• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Head space question

Since the barrel is threaded into the action and has a lock-nut, shouldn't you be able to set the headspace at a tighter tollerance if you want? I realize that the 556 is probably seated longer than the .223 (and I know the 556 has a hotter charge) However if I measure and find that the "jump" to the lands is excessive-I should be able to correct-Yes?

Theoretically, yeah. I don't know much about head spacing on anything except for machine guns. If you're talking about an AR15 I'm not sure if you'll be able to alter the head spacing without taking out the siphon tube.

He was just trying to help. I'm sure someone else will jump in with an answer or suggestion.

Be very careful with the headspace. No joking around or guessing with it. My suggestion would be learn about headspacing and what happens when it is done incorrectly.

IMHO there is not enough difference in head spacing between the two rounds to warrant doing anything to the gun.

I've seen a lot of guys ream their AR barrels to 5.56 to make sure they are in spec and then shoot both without any issues.

Headspace.JPG

Yes, I know it's an AR15/M16 chart but the specs should be close if not the same for any gun of this chambering.

Have you noticed any degredation in accuracy/consistency shooting .223 compared to 5.56 that would warrant the modification?

I shoot both through my 5.56 barrels and the difference in performance is negligible. I wouldn't expect you'd notice much difference at all until you get out past 300 yards...

Thanks for all the info-especially the data/specs. I am not going to change my headspace-I just wanted to know that it COULD be done by unlocking the nut and threading the barrel in/out to change the headspace. My MVP does not have a tremendious amount of rounds through it. I was wondering because I know someday if the accuracy changes/or starts to fall off-I could measure and set it closer (ogive of bullet to distance of lands/rifling).or just replace the barrel. There is an optimum distance. Inquiring minds just want to know.

Now that I see the post called nuts and Bolts-it answers all I wanted to know on the headspace question. His picture explains it all.

Back