• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Heatshield & Magpul Forend

So it wasn't until after I had installed the Magpul MOE forend that I realized it is not compatible with the factory heatshield. I did some quick research and saw people cutting the forend, people trimming and banging at the heatshield. Well, I brought my 500 to work along with a C-clamp I tossed in my carry case. Took some quick measurements once I got to work and had some slow time. Figured it was worth a shot, so I wrapped a bandana around the heat shield to not scrape/mar the finish and started at the widest point of the heatshield (shroud henceforth). I squeezed it until I saw the shroud touch the barrel and stopped. Loosened it and moved down a couple inches. Repeated the process all the way down the shroud. I slid the barrel back on to the shotgun with no trouble at all. The pump can be moved back and forth without any extra effort. It isn't rubbing anywhere or binding up. Smooth as butter, easy as tightening a C-clamp a few times and a little patience. If there's any interest I'll post a quick how-to when I get a chance later this week. Pics will be up tonight when I'm not on my phone!

Also, I only bought the forend in FDE because I'd had a lot of local inquiries on how I dyed the furniture on my rfiles. I dyed it using what I had left of maroone and I tossed in a hint of black Rit dye during the "how-to" video I shot earlier. I'm not happy with that color and it'll be dyed black tonight.

So it wasn't until after I had installed the Magpul MOE forend that I realized it is not compatible with the factory heatshield. I did some quick research and saw people cutting the forend, people trimming and banging at the heatshield. Well, I brought my 500 to work along with a C-clamp I tossed in my carry case. Took some quick measurements once I got to work and had some slow time. Figured it was worth a shot, so I wrapped a bandana around the heat shield to not scrape/mar the finish and started at the widest point of the heatshield (shroud henceforth). I squeezed it until I saw the shroud touch the barrel and stopped. Loosened it and moved down a couple inches. Repeated the process all the way down the shroud. I slid the barrel back on to the shotgun with no trouble at all. The pump can be moved back and forth without any extra effort. It isn't rubbing anywhere or binding up. Smooth as butter, easy as tightening a C-clamp a few times and a little patience. If there's any interest I'll post a quick how-to when I get a chance later this week. Pics will be up tonight when I'm not on my phone!

Gotta love a little ingenuity.:)

Mossberg Serial Numbers

Back