• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

heavy trigger

steven325

Copper BB
I have a 30-06 with the lightning bolt trigger. It says it's adjustable from 2-5 pounds but it feels like 7 or 8 pounds. When I attempted to reduce the trigger pull I found the adjustment screw was already backed out well past flush. Anyone have any suggestions?

I can't help you with the trigger adjustment but you should consider buying a trigger pull gauge. A good tool for the arsenal box...

I have this one: LINK Seems to work OK--was about $20...

Attachments

• pullgage.jpg
    pullgage.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 3
I think I got it figured out. Apparently I was looking at the screw from the wrong direction. I screwed it in flush and now the trigger is lighter. Still not what I want but it will do for now. Need to find a screw driver that is short enough to get in there.

I have a Ruger American which has a similar "easy to use adjustable trigger" which is a gimmick. I ended up taking the trigger group apart, cutting like 2 coils off of the trigger spring, and polishing the sear. The trigger went from decent to perfect in about an hour.

I might try that. Just makes me nervous that I might cut to much then I end up with a paper weight until I get a new spring

Go to the hardware store with the spring and find an identical one. If you can't, you may be able to order one from the manufacturer, order like 5. If you are going to try it, only cut like 1/4 coils off at a time.

Back